Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 14, '07, 8:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Catalina Rivas - Any Ideas on Her?

I just received a magazine called "Love One Another" from the Society of Christ. One of the articles talked about a lady named Catalina Rivas, who is to be a stigmatist and a visionary. Does anyone know anything about her? Is she accept by the Church as a "true" stigmatist?
Old Mar 14, '07, 9:17 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian of the Latin Rite
Default Re: Catalina Rivas - Any Ideas on Her?

Katya Rivas has received an official imprimatur from the Catholic Church for several books.. In May 1999, Archbishop Fernandez, in sympathy with the sentiments of Pope John Paul II, formally approved the formation of the Apostolate of the New Evangelization.

I have a video of a Fox documentary, Signs From God: Science Tests Faith, where Rivas is interviewed by journalist Mike Willessee. He went into it expecting to expose a fraud and, instead, it contributed to his return to the Church after 30 years.

You can read about it here http://www.loveandmercy.org/loveandm...deo/index.html
Send me a PM to discuss my website

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/ Watch the videos down the page
Old Sep 23, '09, 2:58 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Actually, Mike Wilessee and Ron Tesario just came to our university (BGSU) and gave us a presentation on Eucharistic Miracles. I found their information on Catalina to be very impressive and so I read more about her in their book. They went to great lengths to prove this woman a fraud and they couldn't.

I am a huge skeptic when it comes to these kind of things (in fact I spent my whole three years of graduate studies at a secular univeristy writing about the history of Medjugorje...as a skeptic first, but the truth of the documentation of the Church is extremely positive towards the alleged apparitions). However, Catalina seems to be legitimate.

God bless!
Old Sep 23, '09, 4:09 pm
Banned

Her revelations on the Mass changed my life!

http://www.michaeljournal.org/holymass.htm
Old Sep 23, '09, 11:05 pm
Banned

Religion: Other

<< Is she accept by the Church as a "true" stigmatist?>>

There are only two people accepted by the Church as "true" stigmatics.

St. Paul and St. Francis.

The stigmata in and of themselves mean nothing. There's no way presently to distinguish between truly spiritually given stigmata and those that are merely psycho-somatic.

So other things are looked for.

St. Pio, for example, was NOT canonized for bearing the stigmata (which disappeared shortly before he died), but for his signal spiritual gifts.
Old Jun 30, '11, 1:55 pm

Religion: Catholic--I lean towards the obedient kind of traditionalism

Thanks about Catalina! As for Medjugorje, what about the disobedience of the friars and troubling things revealed about one or two of the kids (weren't they charging a bit much for some service)? Even Satan can quote Scripture (or Church teaching) for a greater evil . Didn't a bishop say not to go there? That should be cause for concern. http://www.catholicapologetics.info/...n/medjugo.html http://www.catholicdoors.com/isit/isit10.htm Granted, God can bring good out of the damages of The Evil One, but the evil is still of the occurances and God does not make evil happen. If the Church does its job and condemns Medjugorje, then the disobedience of even a majority of Catholics won't be blood on its hands. That's this problem with focusing on the good in what was created by evil, like rebellious (towards Christ's church, especially) bodies of faith, such as Gnosticism and Protestant faiths. Works of evil must be hated, as Satan leaves good things in there to confuse people. What OK stuff was said by whatever is posing as Mary, is already known to The Church. We need to be obedient to what the Church authorities order, and they don't do it often.
Old Jun 30, '11, 2:16 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Her revelations on the Holy Mass changed the way I see the mass. The things that go on in the mass are so amazing and I had no idea before I read her revelations on the mass.
Old Oct 10, '12, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post
<< Is she accept by the Church as a "true" stigmatist?>>

There are only two people accepted by the Church as "true" stigmatics.

St. Paul and St. Francis.

The stigmata in and of themselves mean nothing. There's no way presently to distinguish between truly spiritually given stigmata and those that are merely psycho-somatic.

So other things are looked for.

St. Pio, for example, was NOT canonized for bearing the stigmata (which disappeared shortly before he died), but for his signal spiritual gifts.
Psycho-somatic? I remember Padre Pio saying, to a psychologist who accused him of thinking about the crucifixion so much that his brain formed the stigmata, "Think about and elephant and see if you grow a trunk."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality