Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 19, '07, 2:49 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Do I need to go to confession before receiving the annointing of the sick?

Hi everyone. I am in a state of mortal sin. Do I need to go to confession before I receive the sacrament of the anointing of the sick or can I just receive the sacrament of the anointing of the sick without confession since you do you receive forgiveness of sins in this sacrament?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Mar 19, '07, 2:52 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Do I need to go to confession before receiving the annointing of the sick?

If I'm not wrong...

If a person is very ill, and he/she receives the annointing of the sick. They must go to confession when they are able to do so asap.

So I think if you can, you must go to confession.

– Fr. Walter Ciszek (1904-1984)

www.vinzpablo.com
Old Mar 19, '07, 3:52 am

Default Re: Do I need to go to confession before receiving the annointing of the sick?

confession is required for annointing of the sick for mortal sins if the recipient is able to confess (conscious).

If it is an individual annointing, your priest will give you the option--if he doesn't, ask him.

If it is in a group, you should go beforehand or, if it is not possible, after asap.
Old Mar 19, '07, 4:14 am

Depends upon the severity of the situation. If you are walking, talking and/or able to get around you need to go to confession. If you are in a hospital bed or on your way into surgery and ther is no time then perhaps not.
If this is being done privately then do both at the same time.

The problem being that ordinarily a Sacrament cannot be received properly if a person is in a state of mortal sin. That goes for any of the sacraments except baptism and confession. The rest should have confession (if necessary) preceding them .
Old Mar 19, '07, 7:08 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Hi everyone. I am in a state of mortal sin. Do I need to go to confession before I receive the sacrament of the anointing of the sick or can I just receive the sacrament of the anointing of the sick without confession since you do you receive forgiveness of sins in this sacrament?
Yes, under normal conditions you must receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation before receiving any other Sacrament, except Baptism. If you are incapable of confessing your sins because you are about to die or are unconscious, then your sins may be forgiven in the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick. This of course assumes that you did not have the opportunity to Confess and chose not too before falling unconscious.
Old Mar 19, '07, 8:41 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Thank you everyone for your answers. I did not know that I needed to go to confession first. Thanks.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Mar 19, '07, 10:24 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Thank you everyone for your answers. I did not know that I needed to go to confession first. Thanks.
90% of the faithful who receive this Sacrament in a liturgical setting, not in the Hospital. Do not realize this requirement and are never told this either.

You will never see the Sunday Bulletin say:
"The Sacrament of the Anointing of The Sick will take place at the 11 am Mass two week from today. Anyone who wishes to receive this Sacrament at that Mass should make arrangements to go to Confession in the weeks prior."
Old Mar 19, '07, 12:31 pm

All of the Sacraments of the Living should be received in a state of grace. To do otherwise is materially the sin of sacrilege. Also, the sacramental grace given in these special sacraments is not able to be received until such time as the state of grace is restored.

Don't get confirmed, married, ordained, anointed, or receive the Eucharist in a state of sin.

Obviously, it's okay to get baptized or go to confession in the state of sin.
Old Mar 19, '07, 4:00 pm

The Code of Canon Law has in canon 1007: "The annointing of the sick is not to be conferred upon those who obstinately persist in a manifestly grave sin."
(The Code of Canon Law: New revised English Translation, HarperCollins Liturgical, 1997, ISBN 000599375X.)

So there could be situations where refusal of the sacrament of confession could be understood as "obstinately persist in a manifestly grave sin." The priest would need to be aware of the sin and that the person did not go to confession.

But generally the Sacrament of the Annointing of the Sick can be given to someone without confession. The person may know that are in a state of mortal sin, the priest may not have the faculty to hear confessions, but could give them the annointing of the sick.

It is optional to receive Communion as part of the annointing of the sick.
Old Mar 19, '07, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lilburne View Post
The Code of Canon Law has in canon 1007: "The annointing of the sick is not to be conferred upon those who obstinately persist in a manifestly grave sin."
(The Code of Canon Law: New revised English Translation, HarperCollins Liturgical, 1997, ISBN 000599375X.)

So there could be situations where refusal of the sacrament of confession could be understood as "obstinately persist in a manifestly grave sin." The priest would need to be aware of the sin and that the person did not go to confession.

But generally the Sacrament of the Annointing of the Sick can be given to someone without confession. The person may know that are in a state of mortal sin, the priest may not have the faculty to hear confessions, but could give them the annointing of the sick.

It is optional to receive Communion as part of the annointing of the sick.
Manifest grave sin means a serious, publicly known sin. This does not simply mean that the priest is aware of it. An example would be a politician who consistently supports abortion. Because of the public nature of his sin, he cannot receive sacraments like the Eucharist and Anointing of the Sick unless he repents.

If the person is unable to go to confession, e.g., if he is unconscious then he may be anointed even if he is in the state of sin where it is presumed that he would desire confession if it were possible. If it is possible, he must go to confession before being anointed.

If the person is in danger of death, any priest would be able to hear his confession.
Old Mar 19, '07, 6:05 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanschrader View Post
Manifest grave sin means a serious, publicly known sin. This does not simply mean that the priest is aware of it. An example would be a politician who consistently supports abortion. Because of the public nature of his sin, he cannot receive sacraments like the Eucharist and Anointing of the Sick unless he repents.

If the person is unable to go to confession, e.g., if he is unconscious then he may be anointed even if he is in the state of sin where it is presumed that he would desire confession if it were possible. If it is possible, he must go to confession before being anointed.

If the person is in danger of death, any priest would be able to hear his confession.
Bottom line is that the faithful should not be lead into believing that receiving the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick twice a year at Sunday Mass is an easy way around the individual Sacrament of Confession.
Old Mar 20, '07, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
Bottom line is that the faithful should not be lead into believing that receiving the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick twice a year at Sunday Mass is an easy way around the individual Sacrament of Confession.
Bottom line is that no one should receive a Sacrament of the Living in a state of mortal sin.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments