Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 21, '07, 5:49 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to maggiec
Default Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of March 20, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Admin View Post
Karl's E-Letter of March 20, 2007

Topic:

"Confessions: Saturdays from 4:00 to 4:05"

==========
http://www.catholic.com/newsletters/kke_070320.asp
Our parish has confession on Saturdays from 4:30 to 5:00. I go once a month and there is usually no one else there. I think part of the problem (besides not ever talking about confession) is we don't have a confessional, they use the cry room. I don't like it and I don't think many do. What happened to the privacy. I am distracted to sit looking out the window of the cry room while they are practicing music for the mass.
Maggie C
Old Mar 21, '07, 5:53 pm

Religion: catholic

I heard that only 30% of Catholics believe the Church's teachings on birth control. I heard that only 30% believe in Transubstatiation.
When i go to confession, i am usually the only one going (I go to several different Churches and its the same at most of them).
I am one of the 30%...
Why do people even call themselves Catholic if they don't choose to adhere to the teachings & then make matters worse by declining to confess such a thing - & yet they always go to Communion?
I believe many priests these days r to blame for all this... I haven't heard a priest speak of the need 2 go to confession in ... hmmm... I can't even remember the last time... That's pretty pathetic, considering how old i am and how many different Churches i have been to... in about half of the states across this nation...
Why are so many priests afraid to speak the truth? I thought truth was what our faith was all about... I FINALLY saw a flyer in one Church on the evils of contraception (have NEVER heard a homily on that subject...)
And in all my years as a Catholic (all my life), one who attends daily Mass as often as possible, i have heard a grand total of ONE homily concerning Hell... and even then, Hell wasn't the dominant theme of the homily...
Anyway, I feel as another poster said (I paraphrase), that people really WANT to hear the unadulterated truth - about themselves and their sinfulness... I don't need or want someone telling me that i am OK when i know in my heart that i'm not, that i am messed up by sin and in need of help... ("sacramental help"). I think we should all either write or speak to our priests about this (??).

Last edited by contramundum7; Mar 21, '07 at 5:59 pm. Reason: errors
Old Mar 21, '07, 5:58 pm

I agree with the idea that if confession is more available, more will be able to go.

My parish offers confessions 1 1/4 hours per week. However, Mass is offered 13 hours per week, including Sundays and weekdays.

I'm obviously grateful for the availability of the Eucharist; but because receipt of the Sacrament of Penance regularly is supposed to be a prerequisite to our receiving the Eucharist, shouldn't these numbers be closer together??
Old Mar 21, '07, 7:24 pm

Ug. Our parish offers confession from 4-4:45 on Saturdays, or "by appointment". Our priest mentions at some point every Advent and Lent how honored and humbled he is to hear our confessions.

Yet.....

Twice I've had to arrange confession by appointment. The first time was because my husband and I hadn't fufilled Holy Obligation the week before, and so we needed to confess before Sunday. We're a one-car family, and my husband was scheduled to work Saturday during the 45 minute window for confession, so I called Father to arrange a time we could meet. When we did, I came away from the confession with the distinct feeling that he'd "excused" rather than "absolved" our sin, as his attitude was mostly one of, "Well, you didn't mean to do it." (which, in all honesty, we HADN'T, but neither did we try our hardest to make it, either). But the implication was that we didn't need to have come in, since there was no mortal sin to confess.

The second time, I committed a mortal sin on Saturday and hoped to confess before Mass on Sunday. We went early, and when I asked Father about it, was told, "I'm sure whatever you did wasn't mortal" and that he really wanted to visit with some of the people in the social hall first.

I'm very aware that MY sin shouldn't mean that the whole world has to re-arrange its schedule so I can get absolution, but there is the distinct feeling at my parish that confession is very, very far down on the list. If it were made more available, and its importance stressed more from the pulpit, then we'd be taking steps in the right direction. And while I understand Father's point, I think the parish needs to hear about OUR NEED for confession, more than Father's gratitude in hearing them.

Cheers,
Cari
Old Mar 21, '07, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari View Post
Ug. Our parish offers confession from 4-4:45 on Saturdays, or "by appointment". Our priest mentions at some point every Advent and Lent how honored and humbled he is to hear our confessions.

Yet.....

Twice I've had to arrange confession by appointment. The first time was because my husband and I hadn't fufilled Holy Obligation the week before, and so we needed to confess before Sunday. We're a one-car family, and my husband was scheduled to work Saturday during the 45 minute window for confession, so I called Father to arrange a time we could meet. When we did, I came away from the confession with the distinct feeling that he'd "excused" rather than "absolved" our sin, as his attitude was mostly one of, "Well, you didn't mean to do it." (which, in all honesty, we HADN'T, but neither did we try our hardest to make it, either). But the implication was that we didn't need to have come in, since there was no mortal sin to confess.

The second time, I committed a mortal sin on Saturday and hoped to confess before Mass on Sunday. We went early, and when I asked Father about it, was told, "I'm sure whatever you did wasn't mortal" and that he really wanted to visit with some of the people in the social hall first.

I'm very aware that MY sin shouldn't mean that the whole world has to re-arrange its schedule so I can get absolution, but there is the distinct feeling at my parish that confession is very, very far down on the list. If it were made more available, and its importance stressed more from the pulpit, then we'd be taking steps in the right direction. And while I understand Father's point, I think the parish needs to hear about OUR NEED for confession, more than Father's gratitude in hearing them.

Cheers,
Cari
I agree, the "or by appointment" option is a joke and offensive. It is a turn off to most (for a multitude of reasons) and it is the wrong approach for priests to go that way.
There should be multiple regularly scheduled times to go (eg 30min before weekly mass) and then the "or by appointment" should be for people who truly cant make those regularly scheduled times (or in case of emergency), the problem is the "or by appointment" turned into an "unofficial official" regular schedule for the sacrament.
Old Mar 21, '07, 8:50 pm

Having read Karl Keating's great article you would do well to order a book entitled, "The Gift of Confession: 25 Benefits for You". It provides great inspiration which will most surely help people to have a renewed appreciation for Confession. It also provides great inspiration for homilies, so it would make a great gift for your parish priest! And you won't have to cover it with gift wrap. If you have a look at the book cover you will see why. It is available direct from the publisher at: www.connorcourt.com.au

Old Mar 21, '07, 8:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Oh boy! i went to an neighboring parish tonight to attend mass, and was told when I arrived that they were holding a "mass" reconciliation program. (service) I decided to stay as I had just spent an hour this afternoon in front of the Eucharist examining my conscience. Half way through the program, (service) it became apparent that confession (sacramentally) was not on the agenda. The examen of conscience consisted of fluff, ei. do you recycle? Do you get along with your spouse? are you nice to animals? Do you pray for those innocent victims in Iraq? In the end, the presider announced that we would have to make an appointment to use the little box, and as regards to reconciliation we should try real hard to do something extra spectacular for someone between today and Palm Sunday.

Were my sins forgiven? If the Lord comes am I covered?

Lord, have mercy!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 21, '07, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmcclintic View Post
The examen of conscience consisted of fluff, ei. do you recycle? Do you get along with your spouse? are you nice to animals? Do you pray for those innocent victims in Iraq?
Great. I just got done with an over-the-phone spat with my spouse about who's doing the packing for our weekend trip, then yelled at my dogs for barking in the backyard, and remembered that our Prayers of the Faithful during Mass includes the American military stationed there, but not specifically every victim.

HOWEVER, we DID manage to remove last summer's lawn clippings from our recycle box and are starting to use it for what it was intended.

So when I schedule confession this week (since I'll be missing the 45 minute window), I won't have to add "forgot to recycle" to my list of sins.

Awesome!

Cheers,
Cari
Old Mar 22, '07, 12:34 am

Hi there. I have a comment and question.

I am just returning to the church after being non-practising for many years. As I remember, towards the end of my teens when I was very much a practicing Catholic, there was a bit of a movement in the church towards less confessions in person with a priest, and more of a personal thing between you and God. We were encouraged to confess our sins to God in prayer, and not necessarily in a confessional with a priest. I remember distinctly my grandmother discussing this with my mother and how upset she was that this was going on, encouraging me to go more often, etc. This is a woman who went every week on Saturday her whole life, she was pretty outraged that this new idea of confession was coming in to play.

Even in speaking to catholics before returning to the church, I got a general idea that confession isn't such a big deal and not a real necessity anymore. I of course was concerned that I needed to go before coming back to the church and receiving communion. Thankfully, my teachings and conscience told me I needed to go before returning to communion and I did.

But now being back, I have heard a lot about traditional confession, encouraging confession, why aren't people going to confession, etc. Both on the catholic radio shows and in this newsletter and from other catholics in general.

So my question is, what was that movement that encouraged a less informal confession without a priest? Was it a widespread thing or something I experienced regionally? Has it ended, and now there is a push back toward traditional confessions? I've noticed many churches don't even have confessionals anymore, although the parish I chose does. It's a bit confusing to me, although I'm on board with the traditional confessional crowd.

I just can't help but think that 'movement' or whatever that encouraged the personal confession with God had an influence on the lack of catholics going to confession in the traditional sense.
Old Mar 22, '07, 7:07 am

Send a message via MSN to kangnamdragon

I just started going to confession weekly and it has changed my life. Everyone should try it. I go to a place in the city that has confession every day. Unfortunately, my parish has confession only from 3:30 - 3:45 before the 4:00 pm mass and the priest is often late or does not show up.
Old Mar 22, '07, 8:28 am

Religion: Catholic Church
Send a message via Yahoo to Chinwa Send a message via Skype™ to Chinwa
Thumbs up Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of March 20, 2007

Dear Karl Keating,
Lenten greetings! You really got the gist. I can't remember the last time I hear a priest preach about confession from the pulpit. what you said is universally true. A Redemptorist priest from Nigeria shared the same exprience with me. I asked him how come many people come for confession daily in their parish. He replied that they remind the people of its importance often on Sundays. These Redemptorist priests hear confession daily after morning Mass. But in my own parish, confession is once a month, and only a hand full attend. It is not mentioned from the pulpit. In fact, it's becoming unpopular....

God bless you for sharing such a thought.

---------Chinwa
Old Mar 22, '07, 8:51 am

I enjoyed the article. I agree, confession times are inconvenient. Saturday afternoon is a time when people are socializing and recreating after the busy work week, with kids in sports, trips out of town, etc. Also, many priests do not encourage use of the Sacrament. And many times priests are overworked these days because of the shortage of priests. Also, the people who do use the Sacrament are usually the most devout, with the least serious sins. Also, there is less emphasis on personal sin these days.
Old Mar 22, '07, 9:34 am

We are lucky here in Colorado Springs. We have confession available Mon-Sat from 10:00 am - 9:00 pm. The Capuchin Franciscans here run a Catholic Center at one of our main shopping malls. It is staffed full time by 4 priests who rotate times. They get thousands of penitents a year. (They also have a chapel for Mass, adoration, etc.) They are very faithful to the Church, and the Center is very beautiful. I'm sure many folks stop by when they see it while shopping. Just like St. Francis, taking the Faith to the streets and marketplaces. Oh, and there is rarely a line. Not because of a lack of penitents, but because there are 66 hours a week available to you. You can see details at
www.catholicchapelmall.org
Old Mar 22, '07, 9:35 am

Religion: Staunchly Catholic
Thumbs down Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of March 20, 2007

Does anyone know which parish Karl Keating is talking about in his letter?

Martin
Old Mar 22, '07, 1:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Martin,

I have the exact same question. I live here in LA and it's always nice to find another orthodox parish.

If, for some reason, it's not practicable to name the parish, could you please name the specific city that the parish is in - that would enable a little focused research.

Thank you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008