Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 22, '07, 12:45 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Crossdressing a sin?

My husband Likes to dress up in women's garments Only at home. Our children and I see himdressed up We don't like it, but It relieves stress for him.
What do you think? Is it a sin, disordered or just a bad habit?
Please help me as this bothers me.
God love you!
Old Mar 22, '07, 12:49 pm

Default Re: Crossdressing a sin?

I would not say its a sin but it isn't merely a bad habit. There could be something deeper at root.
Old Mar 22, '07, 2:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria rose View Post
My husband Likes to dress up in women's garments Only at home. Our children and I see himdressed up We don't like it, but It relieves stress for him.
God love you!
It is a disordered desire. There is no firm boundary between a sin and an illness and it is not likely to be useful to try to find one. What worries me is that it involves children. It could also lead on to more serious matters.

Is your husband under a lot of pressure at work? People often react in these ways when there is a lot of social pressure to be successful. Cross dressing can be a sort of opt out. Though it is drastic step, maybe encourage him to take an easier job.

Also try to find a non-threatening social circle outside of work. Church can be a good place, or if that is impossible then a political club, or a charity. Anywhere that actively wants members and isn't too fussy.
Old Mar 22, '07, 3:07 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm McLean View Post
It is a disordered desire. There is no firm boundary between a sin and an illness and it is not likely to be useful to try to find one. What worries me is that it involves children. It could also lead on to more serious matters.

Is your husband under a lot of pressure at work? People often react in these ways when there is a lot of social pressure to be successful. Cross dressing can be a sort of opt out. Though it is drastic step, maybe encourage him to take an easier job.

Also try to find a non-threatening social circle outside of work. Church can be a good place, or if that is impossible then a political club, or a charity. Anywhere that actively wants members and isn't too fussy.
Thanks for your answer. My husband is a commercial artist by trade and has been struggling with employment being inconsistent. He is a wonderfull person but stresses easily.
Crossdressing itsself has nothing necessarily to do with homosexuality although some homosexuals do it.
We need a larger social circle but find it hard to develop, because everybody seems to live in their little busy island these days.
I am wondering if there is some solid scripture reference or church teaching pertaining to the subject at hand.
Old Mar 22, '07, 4:37 pm

Religion: catholic

Last I knew clothes were clothes, man has decided or rendered what is "female proper" and "male proper"

if he was getting a "sexual" thrill from it then maybe, but for stress relief, etc its a lot safer than medications and much cheaper.

remember there was a time that Only females had thier ears pireced here in the states...

Oh well if everything else seems fine I wouldnt worry to much about it, I admit its strange but I have seen stranger things...

Just because we feel something isnt normal does not make it a sin, have you ever worn a mans shirt,pants or coat???

just relize its clothes

good luck

John
Old Mar 22, '07, 7:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Deuteronomy 22:5 (NIV)

A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

Nowadays it can be hard to decide which is which, but there it is.
Old Mar 22, '07, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSquash View Post

A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

Is it really that simple?

Quote:
2"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve for six years; but on the seventh he shall go out as a free man without payment...

5"But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man,'

6 then his master shall bring him to God, then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently. "
From Exodus 21
Old Mar 22, '07, 9:48 pm

Religion: catholic

wow ok then....
Old Mar 22, '07, 10:12 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

It is from this verse that historians know that there were differences in dress for the most part they were the same.

A few versus after that is this verse
You shall not wear cloth of two different kinds of thread, wool and linen, woven together.
Old Mar 22, '07, 10:34 pm

I dress in 'men's clothes' all the time. I love practical hiking shoes, khaki pants, drivers shirts, etc. I guess I've always been a tomboy. I love LL Bean and REI. For some reason it's more acceptable for a woman to dress like a guy than the other way around. I'm glad I can dress for comfort.

If my husband dressed like a woman I'd be concerned. I suppose that's a double standard. I think it's strange that he does it in front of your children.
Old Mar 23, '07, 12:22 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
God love you!
Friend,
This is really a serious problem. I knew someone who did this and it eventually destroyed his family and in particular, his young children who were forced to witness something that is, by DSM definition, a mental disorder. This person claimed it "relieved stress" but the truth was it also provided him with a sexual titilation which could certainly be considered a sin. The bigger issue is that this type of behavior adversely affects the family and a man who persists in this abnormal activity in spite of the fact that his family is distraught would be engaging in sinful actions.

You're husband needs help. I would suggest he see his priest and a therapist.
Old Mar 23, '07, 2:06 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quote. But that brings me to another question> It is acceptable for women to wear more and more masculine types of clothing. I haven't heard the church make an issue of that.If it is asin/mental disorder for men, wouldn't wearing men's clothing as a woman be a mental disorder as well? What do you guys think?
Old Mar 23, '07, 2:51 pm
Banned

My line of thought is via my wife's parents... farmers.
Wear clothing appropriate to the task at hand.

The wearing of "tradional" female clothing by my MIL would:
1) be hazardous
2) impede productivity
3) be too hot/uncomfortable
When out in the fields a woman wearing jeans & a shirt is only practical. In the house / public go for the skirt & blouse.

A man however... has no practical need for a skirt, hose, or any other "female" garment. The ONLY exception..(and this is a stretch) is if he is full blood Scot and might wear a kilt.

I like the feel of feminine garments pressed against me, but only when filled by my wife!

Your man needs some help.
Old Mar 23, '07, 6:02 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
It is from this verse that historians know that there were differences in dress for the most part they were the same.

A few versus after that is this verse
You shall not wear cloth of two different kinds of thread, wool and linen, woven together.
I see. I have heard of this as one of those "odd Old Testament things."

And no one I'm aware of takes the wool and linen thing seriously anymore. But is there some ruling that this sort of prohibition is no longer in force?
Old Mar 23, '07, 8:41 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the quote. But that brings me to another question> It is acceptable for women to wear more and more masculine types of clothing. I haven't heard the church make an issue of that.If it is asin/mental disorder for men, wouldn't wearing men's clothing as a woman be a mental disorder as well? What do you guys think?
In our culture, it is not uncommon for women to wear pants and they are, for the most part, gender neutral. So I don't think it's possible to apply such a standard to women today in terms of crossdressing. However, if a woman were to sport a crew cut, don a man's suit, tie and shoes, and go to great lengths to appear manly, one would consider that an attempt at crossdressing. Men who do this generally find themselves attracted to excessively feminine clothing. A male who crossdresses would have to shop in the woman's department for dresses, hose, shoes, bras and underwear. This can not be considered normal behavior. In addition, men who engage in this type of behavior are usually experiencing some type of sexual thrill, hence this idea that it "relieves stress".
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology