Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 26, '07, 3:51 am
Banned

Unhappy The 2012

Hallo. I am father of three children; one of them is new born. I am reading about the December 2012 .The Earth rotation is going to stop and start to turn the other way .Gigantic waves are going to kill most of the people on Earth. What can I do to protect my family? I am worrying a lot about it.
Jerry
ps .Is talking about it forbidden?
Old Mar 26, '07, 3:56 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry11901 View Post
Hallo. I am father of three children; one of them is new born. I am reading about the December 2012 .The Earth rotation is going to stop and start to turn the other way .Gigantic waves are going to kill most of the people on Earth. What can I do to protect my family? I am worrying a lot about it.
Jerry
Can I ask, Jerry, are you Christian? Do you read the Bible?

Jesus said, when asked about the date for the ending of the world, that 'no-one knows the day or the hour, not even the Son (Christ himself) only God the Father who is in heaven'.

So don't pay attention to anyone who claims to be able to foretell when the world will end. They can't. There have been many many many - too many to count - people making such predictions on a regular basis right since the time of Christ. None of them have come true.

Our main concern as Christians is simply to make sure that our souls are right with God - that we try not to sin and repent and ask God's forgiveness when we do sin. That way we need not worry if the end comes in 5 minutes, 5 years or 50 years.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 26, '07, 4:04 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Hallo. I am father of three children; one of them is new born. I am reading about the December 2012 .The Earth rotation is going to stop and start to turn the other way .Gigantic ?
you read it where? supermarket tabloid? JW magazine? comic book? you did not read it in the Bible because it is not there. The Bible further warns in several places that no one except God knows that day and hour when the earth will end, and that anyone who claims such knowledge is a false prophet.

How to protect your family from the inevitable ills and evils that are part of life on planet Earth? Be a good Christian husband and father. Love your wife and be faithful to her. Teach your children to love God and to obey his commandments. Provide for them and educate them in the faith and as good citizens. Bring them to the sacraments. Pray together as a family. Yes, bad things will happen in their life, and most of them will be entirely outside your control. Teach them by example to trust in God, to rely on Divine Providence and to offer up all the joys, sorrows, blessings, trials of each day to the Lord.

Oh, and by the way, consider getting some better reading material into the house such as good Catholic publications like Faith and Family or Our Sunday Visitor.
Old Mar 26, '07, 5:51 am

The "rapture" came and went. Year 2000 started and we are still here. There was something about 1998...etc....etc...etc...

Predictions of the doom of mankind have been made since the founding of the church.

The best advice, live each day to the fullest, because you never know if it could be your last.
Old Mar 26, '07, 8:34 am

Quote:
I am reading about the December 2012 .
... I'm curious as well, what are you reading and where??

thanks,
Old Mar 26, '07, 9:04 am

Send a message via AIM to Phat

im not quite sure, but i think he is getting it from the Mayan calander in which the calendar year stops 2012. This is when the world would end according to Mayan ancient beliefs. Another possible alternative answer is that he probably got it from the "Bible code" in which it predicts the year in which the world would end. Don't bet me on it though. Just guesses.
Old Mar 26, '07, 9:11 am

Religion: Protestant, but wondering

Not to worry. I remember back in 1978, Superman made the world turn the other way for a few minutes, and the world incurred no ill effects--unless you count the survival of Margot Kidder, which wouldn't be very nice of you at all.
Old Mar 26, '07, 9:15 am

Thanks Phat;
Quote:
the Mayan calander in which the calendar year stops 2012.
I see ... well, the Mayan calender stops at 2012 because the chap designing it disappeared with all the rest of the Mayans ... had the disappearance of the Mayans been delayed by one day the calender would have stopped at the year 2034 ..

.. you can get a lot done in a day!
Old Mar 26, '07, 9:53 am

Quote:
Jerry
Others have pointed out that the above believe is not grounded in either the Bible nor in Tradition. I am also going to add that it is not grounded in Physics. All Scientific evidence currently available suggests that the Earth has been rotating on its current axis (minus some minor wobbling) and its current direction pretty much continuously for the last 4.5-5 billion years (when the Earth was formed from the solar nebula).

Further, the amount of energy that would be required to reverse the direction of its rotation is such that I doubt any life on Earth would survive, let alone any people.

--
Bill
Old Mar 26, '07, 10:05 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to jamannor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennC View Post
Thanks Phat;

I see ... well, the Mayan calender stops at 2012 because the chap designing it disappeared with all the rest of the Mayans ... had the disappearance of the Mayans been delayed by one day the calender would have stopped at the year 2034 ..

.. you can get a lot done in a day!
Actually the Mayan caldendar didn't end because someone stopped writing it in fact they aren't even stating that it will be the end of the world, just that a significant event will occur. If I'm not mistaken its based on solar years, everything with their lives revolved around cycles, and they had propoesed that things repeat in history. I wouldn't discredit their calandar but I also wouldn't give the idea of the end of the world throught also. True science beleives in cycles of the sun, just imagine how amazing it is too know such an ancient civilization could figure out some of these cool astronomical event cycles.
Old Mar 26, '07, 10:15 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchale View Post
Others have pointed out that the above believe is not grounded in either the Bible nor in Tradition. I am also going to add that it is not grounded in Physics. All Scientific evidence currently available suggests that the Earth has been rotating on its current axis (minus some minor wobbling) and its current direction pretty much continuously for the last 4.5-5 billion years (when the Earth was formed from the solar nebula).

Further, the amount of energy that would be required to reverse the direction of its rotation is such that I doubt any life on Earth would survive, let alone any people.

--
Bill
I think there might be some confusion with the reversal of the magnetic field. This happens every few million years or so. It clearly doesn't wipe out all life, but some people think field reversals may be associated with a rise in extinction rates. Whether there will be any noticeable effects of humans, barring compasses malfunctioning, when the next reversal comes is anyone's guess.
Old Mar 26, '07, 10:27 am

Quote:
reversal of the magnetic field
Define and Possible Effects..

Define..
It is NOT a quick swift transition in polarity of the planet by our understanding. It takes many MANY years for the polarity to switch. The Field Weakens to a point where you cannot tell if North has a Positive, or Negative polarity. Over time, the polarity will build back at the poles. IF the polarity is going to 'switch' this is when it would happen. What once had a 'North' polarity, may now have a 'South' polarity. However, it should be noted that the direction of the Polarity does not affect the way a species exists. Otherwise, anytime we pass by a large magnet like, say an MRI machine, it would have detrimental effects on our bodies. The only time it effects our bodies is if there is Metal on or in us. Otherwise, we will not notice

What are the Effects?
The effects come when the Magnetic Field is at its weakest point. This will happen when you cannot determine if physical north has a North polarity, or South polarity. In other words, it does not exist. This transition period of a net zero magnetic strength will result in the bombardment of cosmic and solar radiation. This is because the Magnetic field repels most of the harmful particles. If the M field is no longer repelling the harmful particles, we will get the brunt of it.

To sum up, it isn't the switch that causes the 'extinctions' it is the time period when there is no M field protecting us that causes the extinctions...

Sorry... Just wanted to clarify...

That being said...

2012 is bunk

In Christ
Old Mar 26, '07, 10:58 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Hello Jerry,

Welcome to the forums, and Congratulations on being a father of the third child. That is a great blessing!

Everybody has answered your question, and they are right about no one will know the End except God the Father.

I wanted to say that your caring for your children and your new born shows me that you are a loving father. That is great to know. God bless you for that. Another thing, I've noticed you wanted to know about Catholic, Christian and Catholic's order from your other post.

I believe your coming to this forum is a good thing. I believe it is God that led you here for a purpose. So, please stay and ask as many questions as you like, and find out what is the purpose that God wants you to know
Old Mar 26, '07, 12:47 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
Can I ask, Jerry, are you Christian? Do you read the Bible?

Jesus said, when asked about the date for the ending of the world, that 'no-one knows the day or the hour, not even the Son (Christ himself) only God the Father who is in heaven'.

So don't pay attention to anyone who claims to be able to foretell when the world will end. They can't. There have been many many many - too many to count - people making such predictions on a regular basis right since the time of Christ. None of them have come true.

Our main concern as Christians is simply to make sure that our souls are right with God - that we try not to sin and repent and ask God's forgiveness when we do sin. That way we need not worry if the end comes in 5 minutes, 5 years or 50 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Hello Jerry,

Welcome to the forums, and Congratulations on being a father of the third child. That is a great blessing!

Everybody has answered your question, and they are right about no one will know the End except God the Father.

I wanted to say that your caring for your children and your new born shows me that you are a loving father. That is great to know. God bless you for that. Another thing, I've noticed you wanted to know about Catholic, Christian and Catholic's order from your other post.

I believe your coming to this forum is a good thing. I believe it is God that led you here for a purpose. So, please stay and ask as many questions as you like, and find out what is the purpose that God wants you to know

+ + + + = PEACE OF MIND AND SPIRIT
"I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live"Deuteronomy 30:19
http://DFWCatholic.org
Old Mar 26, '07, 1:00 pm

Religion: Lifelong Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Subrosa

Quote:
Talking no...reading stuff like this - YES!

Sub

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics