Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 27, '07, 1:11 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default What is the Most accurate Bible Translation

Im looking for the bible that has the best interpetation of the orginial documents.

Also with good Orthodox footnotes with some qoutes of the fathers.

Thank you all and God bless you for your advice
Old Mar 27, '07, 5:03 am
Banned

Default Re: What is the Most accurate Bible Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepentorPerish View Post
Im looking for the bible that has the best interpetation of the orginial documents.
I'm sure others will give you their recommendations but I wanted to respond to part of your request - the original copies of all the written sources have completely disappeared. The oldest fragment of any portion of the New Testament dates from the 2nd century, 100 years after Jesus' death. The next oldest fragments (of Matthew, Luke, John, and Thomas) date to about 200. The first complete copy of the Greek New Testament (Codex Sinaiticus) is from the 4th century. Thus, three centuries separate Jesus from the earliest complete surviving copies of the gospels.

None of the bibles we use are from a single or original source - they are formed from about 5000 Greek manuscripts that contain all or parts of the new testament.
Old Mar 27, '07, 8:38 am
Banned

Thank you Pat. Thank you for your knowledge , I didnt know these things .

Thank God for Sacred Tradition Huh.

Nice Job Pat, May the Lord Richly Bless you and fill you with his Peace and Joy.
Old Mar 27, '07, 11:43 am

While it is true that we have manuscripts that date to at least 100 years after the NT was written, it must be said that there is relatively little variance in these texts. Thus we can be assured that what we read in the New Testament, no matter what translation, is what God and the human authors intended to be read!

As for translations, you will get multiple answers to that. For Catholics, generally speaking, the RSV-Catholic Edition is probably the most accurate. It is not perfect however. (Some will argue for the Douay-Rheims, but it has its drawbacks as well. Plus it is a translation of a translation.) The NAB is less literal, but incorporates inclusive language in a very poor way. Although the NAB is not as literary as the RSV, it is still suitable for Bible Study. The New Jerusalem Bible is less literal than the RSV or NAB, but still can be used as a study Bible. The translation itself is dramatically different from the NAB or RSV, but this is primarily due to the desire, by the editors, to avoid a similarity with the language and style of the King James Bible. Also, I find the NJB uses inclusive language in a much better way than either the NAB or NRSV. Compare Galatians 4:1-11 in the NJB and NAB.

As for notes, the NAB clearly has the worst, however they are not as bad as some will say. There is the occasional note that makes you scratch your head, but overall they are generally informative. Currently Ignatius press is working on a study Bible for the RSV-CE, which will be excellent, but it won't be ready in a single volume for some time. As for the New Jerusalem Bible, I find its notes to be the best. They are much more thorough and helpful than the NAB. Also, the notes about biblical verses regarding Our Lady are actually quite good!

Obviously more could be said about this issue!
Old Mar 27, '07, 12:02 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccorm45 View Post
Currently Ignatius press is working on a study Bible for the RSV-CE, which will be excellent, but it won't be ready in a single volume for some time.
Very good and informative post. I wanted to comment on this Ignatius Catholic Study Bible. They are putting this out as they complete it. I have bought the 10 volumes that they've put out so far, and intend to re-buy the single volume when it eventually comes out. Best notes I've ever seen. Incredible depth and and connectivity. It has special charts and graphs, as well as essays on particular ideas. Right now, as I use these, I need another bible to look up the cross references to books which aren't done yet, and for that I use the Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, mainly because that is what was used as the basis for the study bible. I just want to stay consistent. Plus, I've really grown to enjoy the language in the RSV-CE.

Anyway...Can't say enough about this Study Bible series. I'm fine with buying it in series, then turning around and someday buying it as a whole volume. I'm grateful to them to putting out what they have, as they complete. It's THAT good.

Peace,

Steve
“Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you” (John 6:54)

Peace, Steven
http://www.holypal.com/profile/SteveRoehr
Old Mar 27, '07, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenFrancis View Post
Very good and informative post. I wanted to comment on this Ignatius Catholic Study Bible. They are putting this out as they complete it. I have bought the 10 volumes that they've put out so far, and intend to re-buy the single volume when it eventually comes out. Best notes I've ever seen. Incredible depth and and connectivity. It has special charts and graphs, as well as essays on particular ideas. Right now, as I use these, I need another bible to look up the cross references to books which aren't done yet, and for that I use the Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, mainly because that is what was used as the basis for the study bible. I just want to stay consistent. Plus, I've really grown to enjoy the language in the RSV-CE.

Anyway...Can't say enough about this Study Bible series. I'm fine with buying it in series, then turning around and someday buying it as a whole volume. I'm grateful to them to putting out what they have, as they complete. It's THAT good.

Peace,

Steve
Actually, Ignatius has a new edition (came out last year IIRC) called the RSV 2nd Catholic Edition. They have cleaned up some language specifically reccomended by Catholics. I would vote for the DR as the most accurate. Yes it is a "translation of a translation" but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. St. Jerome translated the Greek and Hebrew scriptures into Latin. At that time Jerome was acknowledged as one of the foremost authorities on the ancient Greek and Hebrew languages. Jerome was apparently so familiar with both languages that he could speak them. Jerome was also intimately familiar with Latin. So Jerome took Scriptures written in archaic languages and translated them into a "modern" tongue. Scholars today cannot hope to be as close to the true understanding of ancient Greek and Hebrew as Jerome but they can certainly understand and translate the Latin of Jerome. Bottom line, almost everyone has a preference and I would recommend having more than one Bible if you are seriously studying..I have both the RSV 2CE and a DR.
Old Mar 27, '07, 4:34 pm
Banned

Religion: Heretic, nominally Anglican.
Send a message via Skype™ to Voco proTatiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasCatholic View Post
Actually, Ignatius has a new edition (came out last year IIRC) called the RSV 2nd Catholic Edition. They have cleaned up some language specifically reccomended by Catholics. I would vote for the DR as the most accurate. Yes it is a "translation of a translation" but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. St. Jerome translated the Greek and Hebrew scriptures into Latin. At that time Jerome was acknowledged as one of the foremost authorities on the ancient Greek and Hebrew languages. Jerome was apparently so familiar with both languages that he could speak them. Jerome was also intimately familiar with Latin. So Jerome took Scriptures written in archaic languages and translated them into a "modern" tongue. Scholars today cannot hope to be as close to the true understanding of ancient Greek and Hebrew as Jerome but they can certainly understand and translate the Latin of Jerome. Bottom line, almost everyone has a preference and I would recommend having more than one Bible if you are seriously studying..I have both the RSV 2CE and a DR.
For my pennyworth, the best translation is the Stuttgart Latin Vulgate, which seems not only to be the closest to the pen of St Jerome, but also witnesses that St Jerome took the Best African Vetus Latina Gospels, and only very lightly re-edited them. These VL Gospels seem to have dated back to about AD 200, for they were clearly used by Tatian in his composition of the Latin Diatessaron.
The DR is an excellent translation of the Clementine Vulgate, once you get past the pidgin, but there are , at least in the Gospels, one or two significant variations of reading, which of course DR misses.
Old Mar 27, '07, 5:30 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to kell0618

Just something worth noting in regard to the Douay-Rheims by Jimmy Akin:

Uncomfortable Facts about the Douay-Rheims from This Rock.

Visit my blog at Catholic Ponderings
Old Mar 27, '07, 6:49 pm

No Protestant version of the Bible--including the twice Catholic polished RSV is accurate!

If the Catholic Church cannot accurately translate the Bible better than Protestants do when the Catholic Church actually owns more of the oldest manuscripts we have available

And

when there is doubt among different renderings among ancient manuscripts has the Magisterium as the supreme teaching authority to teach the deposit of the faith which would necessariy entail accurate renderings to be in concert with that teaching authority

then are you going to tell me that the Protestant RSV--even if polished by Catholics is more accurate than Any version that Catholics can produce I just say:

I don't buy it!

the Nova Vulgata doesn't match the RSV.

I guess the people who produced it didn't buy it either!

And yes oh great RSV-2d edition supporters--I would take the accuracy of the Nova Vulgata over the RSV--even the 2d edition anyday!

the Vulgate in any of its incarnations is more accurate than Protestan biased versions such as the RSV--even when they do go back to original languages and get some things right!

I'm not saying that the RSV Catholic 2d Edition is bad--I'm just saying it isn't as accurate as people around here would lead you to believe!

Go beyond the RSV Catholic 2d edition--go to the fullness of Catholic Truth--it isn't in the RSV --Truth yes--Fullness--No!
Old Mar 27, '07, 6:55 pm
Forum Elder

Here is another good article about Bible translations. http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9404fea1.asp
Old Mar 28, '07, 2:58 pm

Quote:

The New International Version. It has translations from manuscripts dated from the first century (c 100 AD).

Early church people copied original writings and passed them around. The King James Version used manuscripts dated from around 1000 AD.

The closer you get to the original manuscript, the more accurate the writing.

It is also translated idea by idea not word by word. This makes the translation clearer and easier to understand.

You can get the NIV in many styles, with different devotional type stuff added.

The committe that worked on this version is interdenominational and includes Catholics, however, the 'Apocrypha' is not included. Nor are early church fathers. I think you might need to get a separate book of writings of the early church fathers.
Old Mar 28, '07, 3:58 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance

Quote:

The Latin Vulgate... but since I assume that you are looking for an English translation, I would say Douay-Rhiems.
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Mar 28, '07, 7:52 pm

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altesse View Post
The New International Version. The committe that worked on this version is interdenominational and includes Catholics, however, the 'Apocrypha' is not included. Nor are early church fathers. I think you might need to get a separate book of writings of the early church fathers.
Not true! Read the intro to the NIV; no mention of Catholics on the Committee on Bible Translation". Evangelical Protestants predominate.

"Early church fathers" are not, of course, part of ANY bible. They do provide insightful and informative commentaries on Scripture.
Old Mar 29, '07, 6:06 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Lafrance View Post
The Latin Vulgate... but since I assume that you are looking for an English translation, I would say Douay-Rhiems.
Yup and the Haydock Douay Rheims would have a huge amount of Commentary.
Old Mar 29, '07, 6:22 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altesse View Post
The New International Version. It has translations from manuscripts dated from the first century (c 100 AD).

Early church people copied original writings and passed them around. The King James Version used manuscripts dated from around 1000 AD.
Ah but when St Jerome was translating the Latin Vulgate he had access to manuscripts of the OT that in his time was already considered ancient. These were since lost. Hence the NIV translators do not have access to them. Further St Jerome was fluent in Latin, Greek and Hebrew, in terms of both speaking and writing. Latin and Greek was what he spoke daily. None of the NIV translators can even come close. Further, when it the original meaning differs from Protestant beliefs, you get deliberate mistranslations.

Quote:
The closer you get to the original manuscript, the more accurate the writing.
But you would still need to translate accurately. If a translation is faulty, the accuracy of the original document does not help it.

Quote:
It is also translated idea by idea not word by word. This makes the translation clearer and easier to understand.
Based on whose understand of scripture? The NIV is a Protestant so it is only natural that when not translating accurately, Protestant heresies get inserted.

Quote:
The committe that worked on this version is interdenominational and includes Catholics, however, the 'Apocrypha' is not included. Nor are early church fathers. I think you might need to get a separate book of writings of the early church fathers.
Oh so there are 7 missing books from this translation There are 73 books in the Bible, no less. Why waste money on a translation that has missing stuff?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture