Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 5, '07, 6:40 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Who can sing the Exultet?

Can a cantor sing the Exultet at the Vigil, or is this reserved for the priest/deacon only?
Old Apr 5, '07, 6:45 am
Banned

Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic [ Orthodox in communion with Rome ]
Default Re: Who can sing the Exultet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzee View Post
Can a cantor sing the Exultet at the Vigil, or is this reserved for the priest/deacon only?

yes

BUT

there are some parts that may only be sung by a Priest or Deacon
Old Apr 5, '07, 6:48 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
yes

BUT

there are some parts that may only be sung by a Priest or Deacon
It's also worth noting that a cantor singing the exsultet is not considered 'extraordinary.
Old Apr 5, '07, 11:39 am

Why would some words be reserved for the priest/deacon?

I found a copy of it on-line but it didn't say this was the case - I'm guessing maybe the line that talks about 'this minister' would be one of the parts you're talking about?
Old Apr 5, '07, 2:05 pm

Indeed, from "My dearest friends, standing with me in this holy light" until the "and also with you" can only be sung by an ordained minister. If a cantor sings the exultet, he begins again at "Lift up your hearts".

Also, if a deacon sings the Exultet, he must proceed to the celebrant and say "Father, grant a blessing" and he would say "May the Almighty God be in your heart and on your lips so that you may worthily proclaim his Easter praises".
Old Apr 5, '07, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frommi View Post
It's also worth noting that a cantor singing the exsultet is not considered 'extraordinary.
It is permitted, but it is not ideal. So I think it is "extraordinary". From the Roman Missal:
"17. The book and candle may be incensed. Then the deacon or, if there is no deacon, the priest sings the Easter proclamation at the lectern or pulpit. All stand and hold lighted candles.
If necessary, the Easter proclamation may be sung by one who is not a deacon. In this case the bracketed words My dearest friends up to the end of the introduction are omitted, as it the greeting The Lord be with you.
The Easter proclamation may be sung either in the long or short form. The conferences of bishops may also adapt the text by inserting acclamations for the people."
(Roman Missal, Catholic Book Publishing Co., New York, 1985, page 174, The Easter Vigil).

The 2002 Latin edition of the Roman Missal also seems to have the same provision.
"Praeconium paschale annuntiari potest, absente diacono, ab ipso sacerdote vel ab alio presbytero concelebrante. Si vero, pro necessitate cantor laicus Praeconium annuntiat, omittit verb Quapropter astantes vos usque ad finem invitationis, necnon salutationem Dominus vobiscum."
(Missale Romanum, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002, ISBN: 8820972719, page 341).

It first has the deacon, then the celebrant or concelebrants. Then the provision, if necessary a lay cantor. It also has the bracketed text not to be sung by a lay cantor.
Old Apr 5, '07, 3:59 pm

My dear pastor is practically tone deaf while doing minimal chant, so I will offer up thanks this Saturday that our music director will be the one singing even if it is less then "ideal." For me really bad wandering off a tune distracts from the message of the words.
Old Apr 5, '07, 4:01 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Our deacon does this...and every year, it is wonderful (Thanks, Deacon!).
Old Apr 5, '07, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lilburne View Post
It is permitted, but it is not ideal. So I think it is "extraordinary". From the Roman Missal:
"17. The book and candle may be incensed. Then the deacon or, if there is no deacon, the priest sings the Easter proclamation at the lectern or pulpit. All stand and hold lighted candles.
If necessary, the Easter proclamation may be sung by one who is not a deacon. In this case the bracketed words My dearest friends up to the end of the introduction are omitted, as it the greeting The Lord be with you.
The Easter proclamation may be sung either in the long or short form. The conferences of bishops may also adapt the text by inserting acclamations for the people."
(Roman Missal, Catholic Book Publishing Co., New York, 1985, page 174, The Easter Vigil).

The 2002 Latin edition of the Roman Missal also seems to have the same provision.
"Praeconium paschale annuntiari potest, absente diacono, ab ipso sacerdote vel ab alio presbytero concelebrante. Si vero, pro necessitate cantor laicus Praeconium annuntiat, omittit verb Quapropter astantes vos usque ad finem invitationis, necnon salutationem Dominus vobiscum."
(Missale Romanum, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002, ISBN: 8820972719, page 341).

It first has the deacon, then the celebrant or concelebrants. Then the provision, if necessary a lay cantor. It also has the bracketed text not to be sung by a lay cantor.
Thank you John. I've been trying to find this on the USCCB site and can't. I have no idea why I alway have trouble with searches on that site. Is that where you pulled this from?

One more question, you've quoted from the 1985 Missal - wasn't there a revision in 2003? ("2003 GIRM"?)

Sorry for the questions - I'm trying to learn!
Old Apr 5, '07, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzee View Post
Thank you John. I've been trying to find this on the USCCB site and can't. I have no idea why I alway have trouble with searches on that site. Is that where you pulled this from?

One more question, you've quoted from the 1985 Missal - wasn't there a revision in 2003? ("2003 GIRM"?)...
The information came from the books I quoted. The USCCB also has simiar information at http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/eastervigil.shtml :
"Before the Easter Proclamation, the priest gives his candle to one of the ministers and blesses incense as at the Gospel during Mass. Having asked for and received the blessing, the deacon announces the Easter proclamation from the ambo or at a lectern. This poetic text captures the whole Easter mystery placed within the context of the economy of salvation. In the absence of a deacon the priest himself or another concelebrating priest may announce the Easter proclamation. If, however, a lay cantor announces the proclamation, the words, My dearest friends, up to the end of the invitation are omitted, along with the greeting, The Lord be with you (nos. 18-19). The reference to the Conference of Bishops adapting the text by inserting acclamations is no longer mentioned."

I also quoted from the 2002 Latin edition of the Roman Missal. The Vatcan gave approval to a translation of part of this, the General Instruction, on 17 March 2003. This was given to the USA. Other parts, like the Easter Vigil rubrics, do not yet have an approved English translation. My understanding of Latin is limited, so it is a case of reading what has been translated and checking it with the more recent Latin instructions.
Old Apr 6, '07, 5:54 pm

The deacon is clearly designated as the one to sing the Exultet. My first pastor I had as a deacon had a beautiful voice, musical training, and a great love for the liturgy. He sings more of the Mass than any other priest I have ever met. He sang the Exultet with precision, wonderful tenor, great faith, and deep, unfeigned emotion. At my first Vigil as a deacon he told me that he would always be the one who would sing the Exultet. In the sixteen years since he left, I have come to realize why he felt that way. Singing it each year is one of the most wonderful privileges of a deacon. It makes all if the challenges of life worthwhile.
Old Apr 7, '07, 5:57 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic all the way mellowed with Orthodox loyal to Rome

Quote:
It is sung by Deacons but the ordinary minister for singing the proclamation of the Exaltat is the Priest.

The cantor may sing the responses to the Liturgy of the Word.

The most important thing to remember is that the Exaltat celebrates Light and darkness: Christ is the light which shines in the darkness and never dims.
Old Apr 8, '07, 3:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtus View Post
It is sung by Deacons but the ordinary minister for singing the proclamation of the Exaltat is the Priest. ...
According to the Roman Missal, from the rubrics for the Easter Vigil:

"17. ... Then the deacon or, if there is no deacon, the priest sings the Easter proclamation at the lecturn or the pulpit."

So the deacon is called the "ordinary minister". Just as he is an "ordinary minister of Holy Communion", he is not an "extraordinary minister of Holy Communion".
Old Apr 8, '07, 6:25 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic all the way mellowed with Orthodox loyal to Rome

Quote:
So the deacon is called the "ordinary minister". Just as he is an "ordinary minister of Holy Communion", he is not an "extraordinary minister of Holy Communion".
Amen

Where a Deacon is present, I much prefer to see him standing by the Priest ministering from the ciborium. I have grave difficulties with unconsecrated hands touching the Sacred Host.
Old Apr 8, '07, 7:05 pm
Forum Elder

In the Sacramentary, it marks clearly the parts to be sung only by a priest or deacon and the parts that a layperson can sing if they are the one proclaiming it. So yes, a cantor can sing it. It is in the rubrics and clearly defined what parts can be done by whom.

I have sang the Exultet the last few years. I actually Xeroxed the pages from the Sacramentary and cut and pasted (with tape and scissors) the parts out that only a priest could sing. I wish we had a deacon or priest who could proclaim it, but unfortunately we do not.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments