Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #151  
Old Jan 18, '10, 12:45 pm
agapewolf agapewolf is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 5, 2006
Posts: 3,624
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by God in my mouth View Post

Dear agapewolf,
Im not sure how much they stressed secrecy where you went. But the whole reason kairos is suppose to be so special is because kids are surprised by everything that happens. I have seen a entire high school of teenage kids keep this a secret so i dont know why people on this website cant. So dont talk about kairos on here so people who havent went yet dont have their experience ruined. DT1 CT2 FT3 LT4.
I know this, I think you read something wrong. I know about keeping the experience so that its not ruined for others. I've been trying to communicate that.
  #152  
Old Jan 21, '10, 6:35 pm
Cobbfmly Cobbfmly is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 22, 2007
Posts: 559
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingclarity View Post
I've been trying to find out about these retreats. Can I go on one even if I'm homeschooled? Can my youth group leader set one up? I'm a junior in highschool. Does anyone have any information?
Kairos is based on the Cursillo "method". Kairos is typically offered by Catholic high schools and colleges.

Teens Encountering Christ (http://www.tecconference.org/) is a program for older adolescents (16+ yrs old) and young adults. TEC is also based on the Cursillo "method" but you do not have to be associated with a specific school to attend the weekend.
__________________

  #153  
Old Jan 30, '10, 2:49 pm
Cynthia54 Cynthia54 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 30, 2010
Posts: 6
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by God in my mouth View Post
Im not sure how much they stressed secrecy where you went. But the whole reason kairos is suppose to be so special is because kids are surprised by everything that happens. I have seen a entire high school of teenage kids keep this a secret so i dont know why people on this website cant.
The fact that "an entire high school of teenage kids" can keep this a secret just screams brainwashing. Especially since it is not only one high school but every school that goes on the retreat. I personally have a family member who was brainwashed into somewhat of a cult-like group that he worked for, after going on a very very similar retreat during his training. And I found out a lot of the information during an intervention we had. They reduce you to your lowest state so that you are admitting terrible secrets, crying, reliving terrible memories, sleep deprived, and hungry. You bond with these people and they become like a family to you...AKA a CULT!!! I know I will never send my children to something like this.
  #154  
Old Jan 30, '10, 4:22 pm
nate12387 nate12387 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 13, 2007
Posts: 135
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia54 View Post
The fact that "an entire high school of teenage kids" can keep this a secret just screams brainwashing. Especially since it is not only one high school but every school that goes on the retreat. I personally have a family member who was brainwashed into somewhat of a cult-like group that he worked for, after going on a very very similar retreat during his training. And I found out a lot of the information during an intervention we had. They reduce you to your lowest state so that you are admitting terrible secrets, crying, reliving terrible memories, sleep deprived, and hungry. You bond with these people and they become like a family to you...AKA a CULT!!! I know I will never send my children to something like this.
None of those things you just mentioned happened at the Kairos retreat that i went on.
  #155  
Old Jan 30, '10, 7:58 pm
Cobbfmly Cobbfmly is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 22, 2007
Posts: 559
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia54 View Post
The fact that "an entire high school of teenage kids" can keep this a secret just screams brainwashing. Especially since it is not only one high school but every school that goes on the retreat. I personally have a family member who was brainwashed into somewhat of a cult-like group that he worked for, after going on a very very similar retreat during his training. And I found out a lot of the information during an intervention we had. They reduce you to your lowest state so that you are admitting terrible secrets, crying, reliving terrible memories, sleep deprived, and hungry. You bond with these people and they become like a family to you...AKA a CULT!!! I know I will never send my children to something like this.
This is not what happens Kairos and other 3-day "retreats" (i.e. Cursillo). You are not required to admit to terrible secrets, crying is almost always tears of joy as a result of coming closer to Jesus, everyone, except the retreat team/leaders, get an average amount of sleep and there is more than enough food (three rounds, desert with dinner and snacks by the ton). The bond you have with the other people that are there are that you have the shared experience of making the retreat and the shared expectation that each one will go back to their respective communities and bring Christianity to the environments (i.e home, work, community) they are in. The parts that is secret is some of the activities. If they were known ahead of time the spontaneity, learning and/or awe inspiring effect of them would be lost.

An example of how not keeping a secret affects another's experience, is a business simulation class I took in college. My boyfriend took it before I did with the same teacher. He told me all about the class and how to approach it so that my team won as long as the teacher did not throw in a disaster. The teacher did not throw in a disaster and my team left the other teams in the dust. However, we did not learn as much from our experience, because we did not have to figure out what to do it on our own.
__________________

  #156  
Old Feb 2, '10, 8:32 pm
XTrout11 XTrout11 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: February 2, 2010
Posts: 3
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

I stumbled across this thread randomly and am moved to share my thoughts on this subject. I am currently a high school senior at a Catholic school in Iowa. I was a Kairos retreatant my junior year, and hope to be a student leader this upcoming April. I am truly disheartened by the attitude some parents have expressed in this topic.

There are few greater spiritual gifts for a teenaged child than sending them on Kairos, in my mind. Prior to going personally, I considered myself an agnostic at best - if there was a greater being at all, it existed in a vague, spiritual form that we can never hope to understand. I put no credence in Christianity, much less Catholicism. I was coerced into going by friends who had been on the retreat before me and had amazing experiences. I was right there with the rest of them, ridiculing those who wore the "waffle crosses" and claiming brainwashing and other cult activities took place there. I was truly a nonbeliever, not only in the faith, but in the power of Kairos.

Then I went. And this retreat changed my life. I am now attending Mass weekly, finding comfort in Jesus and the Holy Trinity, and taking a class to become a stronger apologetic of the Catholic faith. My 29 fellow retreatants and 6 student leaders have forged an incredible bond of faith that seems near impossible for 3.5 days spent together in a retreat house.

I will tell you, flat out, that the Kairos program in its most general sense does NOT leave any extra openings for a sexual predator or pedophile to make advances. There is no more risk than sending your child to school. No one is locked inside, no one is forced to do anything, and what happens does not weaken a person to the point of doing such a thing.

Kairos is not an "ultra-liberal" retreat. It is grounded in the Catholic faith, but also has much to do with a people knowing themselves before they can come to truly know God. Once again, I repeat, in my experience I have heard no teachings that stray from Scripture/church fathers/Catechism/Papal authority/etc. I believe Protestants are allowed to attend the retreat, but am not sure on non-Christians. (You may want to check for your local area.)

Now to what seems to be the dealbreaker. Will I say what happens on Kairos publicly? I will say that for four months, that was the question I pestered my friends with as they wore those waffles around their necks. One of the greatest things to happen to me was them NOT telling me. It's not because there is some sort of secret indoctrination, or devil worship, or inappropriate adult-on-retreatant violation... it's because the sheer power of the retreat would one, sound dumb to anyone who hadn't experienced it, and two, ruin that same power for any future retreatants. If there are any PARENTS who would truly like to know the Kairos process, I'm sure sufficient information can be passed between us in the form of a personal message.

So please, don't prohibit your child of attending because of your fear. Your fear of their being unsafe or violated is simply irrational. Your fear of not knowing what will happen is part of the process, that your children will learn to trust, and you should too. If you refuse to become open to this trust, I will share what I can through a personal message.

PS - @God in my mouth - what does "FT3" stand for? My retreat was DT1 CT2 UT3 LT4.
PPS - LT4
  #157  
Old Feb 3, '10, 1:02 pm
Cynthia54 Cynthia54 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 30, 2010
Posts: 6
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

As a high school senior, what you are saying has no impact, other than maybe backing up my point. I'm not saying that people are brainwashed into "devil worshiping" or anything like that. The fact that you went in an agnostic and now are a devote christian backs up the point of brainwashing. The tight bond you created with your friends backs up the cult point. Also, as a high school student, how would you know the inner workings of the retreat centers? Notice that everyone claims there are not any secrets on Kairos and then refuses to say what happened, this is a major concern. People who are in cults never will admit or usually even realize they are in them. Just because they teach Christian values doesn't mean it cannot be brainwash. And my children's friends have gone on the retreat and all have reported being deprived of sleep and crying (not tears of joy), so do not claim that's not true. I can understanding not telling students before they go for an element of "surprise", but not telling parents just doesn't make any sense. Creating secrecy around the retreats only leads people to draw worse conclusions about the event than what actually happens, or at least I hope they are worse.
  #158  
Old Feb 3, '10, 1:14 pm
agapewolf agapewolf is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 5, 2006
Posts: 3,624
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia54 View Post
As a high school senior, what you are saying has no impact, other than maybe backing up my point. I'm not saying that people are brainwashed into "devil worshiping" or anything like that. The fact that you went in an agnostic and now are a devote christian backs up the point of brainwashing. The tight bond you created with your friends backs up the cult point. Also, as a high school student, how would you know the inner workings of the retreat centers? Notice that everyone claims there are not any secrets on Kairos and then refuses to say what happened, this is a major concern. People who are in cults never will admit or usually even realize they are in them. Just because they teach Christian values doesn't mean it cannot be brainwash. And my children's friends have gone on the retreat and all have reported being deprived of sleep and crying (not tears of joy), so do not claim that's not true. I can understanding not telling students before they go for an element of "surprise", but not telling parents just doesn't make any sense. Creating secrecy around the retreats only leads people to draw worse conclusions about the event than what actually happens, or at least I hope they are worse.
- It's been stated repeatedly here that parents ARE told what happens when they request it, in fact, the parents take part in of the aspects of it.

-The fact that an agnostic converts to christianity does not back up the point of brainwashing, it backs up the fact that it is a highly successful conversion experience. Remember Paul? Was he brainwashed? The masses at pentacost?

-A bond among people that attend a retreat together is NOT brainwashing. Its a healthy aspect to what happens to people. We are created that way. I'm bonded with the group of people that I attended the papal youth rally I went to. I bonded with the people on the bus on the way to the pro-life march. You bond with people at a sporting event. sheesh.

-Teenagers are by nature emotional. A teenager gets a letter from their parent that tells them they love them, many of them cry. There is NOT a problem with this, in fact, it is a HEALTHY reaction.

-Students are NOT deprived of sleep. THey keep a very full schedule, and usually the down time after is by the student's choice of not going to bed and wanting to stay up and visit that makes sleep deprivation, NOT from the activities themselves.
  #159  
Old Feb 3, '10, 4:13 pm
XTrout11 XTrout11 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: February 2, 2010
Posts: 3
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia54 View Post
As a high school senior, what you are saying has no impact, other than maybe backing up my point. I'm not saying that people are brainwashed into "devil worshiping" or anything like that. The fact that you went in an agnostic and now are a devote christian backs up the point of brainwashing. The tight bond you created with your friends backs up the cult point. Also, as a high school student, how would you know the inner workings of the retreat centers? Notice that everyone claims there are not any secrets on Kairos and then refuses to say what happened, this is a major concern. People who are in cults never will admit or usually even realize they are in them. Just because they teach Christian values doesn't mean it cannot be brainwash. And my children's friends have gone on the retreat and all have reported being deprived of sleep and crying (not tears of joy), so do not claim that's not true. I can understanding not telling students before they go for an element of "surprise", but not telling parents just doesn't make any sense. Creating secrecy around the retreats only leads people to draw worse conclusions about the event than what actually happens, or at least I hope they are worse.
As agapewolf noted, I am surprised you would believe an agnostic's conversion to the faith would be evidence of Kairos as a cult. Unless you find the entire Catholic Church to be a cult, your argument there doesn't make much sense. agapewolf is right - it is an incredibly powerful spiritual experience.

The "inner workings" of the retreat centers is not a valid concern for a Kairos retreat. Once again, I renew my promise that questions will be answered in the form of personal messaging. I invite any parents with children who are questioning this retreat's validity to ask. Your secrecy point does not make any sense. I am not posting the secrets here because I would hate if a high schooler searched for Kairos before going, found this topic, and ruined the experience.

Was I sleep deprived? Absolutely not (I had at least 8 hours a night with plenty of breaks in the day). Did I cry on Kairos? Yes, I did. Some people cry, and some don't. Once again, I will reiterate my point that if you have questions, ask them to me privately. I am not hiding anything from parents. We all are merely taking precautions so as to not ruin the experience.

For all previous Kairos retreatants, please pray for those going on our school's next retreat in April. As a potential leader, I would greatly appreciate it.
  #160  
Old Feb 3, '10, 7:26 pm
Cynthia54 Cynthia54 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 30, 2010
Posts: 6
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrout11 View Post
I am not hiding anything from parents. We all are merely taking precautions so as to not ruin the experience.
I'm sorry, would telling your parents ruin the experience for them? Or would they run out and tell all your friends who have not gone yet what happens?
  #161  
Old Feb 3, '10, 7:42 pm
Cynthia54 Cynthia54 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 30, 2010
Posts: 6
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrout11 View Post
I am surprised you would believe an agnostic's conversion to the faith would be evidence of Kairos as a cult.
I did not say this, you should read more carefully. I said it is evidence of a form of brainwashing. Most agnostics would not fully convert to Catholicism in 3 days. Clearly as a catholic I do not view the church as a cult, I just believe my children should be able to choose their beliefs, and not be brainwashed into following a certain religion.
  #162  
Old Feb 3, '10, 9:30 pm
XTrout11 XTrout11 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: February 2, 2010
Posts: 3
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia54 View Post
I did not say this, you should read more carefully. I said it is evidence of a form of brainwashing. Most agnostics would not fully convert to Catholicism in 3 days. Clearly as a catholic I do not view the church as a cult, I just believe my children should be able to choose their beliefs, and not be brainwashed into following a certain religion.
I hope my personal message explains more fully, but it was not a straight-up agnostic-to-Catholic conversion. I was a cradle Catholic. I'm in my 12th year of Catholic education. Kairos did not create my faith life - it renewed what had always been there and continued to be built upon.
  #163  
Old Jun 25, '10, 10:04 pm
Mike23 Mike23 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: June 25, 2010
Posts: 1
Religion: Roman Catholic
Thumbs up Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom317 View Post
These retreats are for Catholic high school students, typically seniors.

Have you ever heard of them? What do you know about them? Are they faithful Catholic retreats, or are they something to be concerned about?
I don't want to give to much away or otherwise it will take away from the experience. They are meant to be confidential to make the experience better for the retreatants. I will tell you, however, that is a retreat based off of the Catholic religion. It's not exactly a "God" retreat as much as it is as a personal retreat for the retreatant and to find his or herself through the help of God. The retreatants open up to each other and get to know each other better and to learn to trust them. I went on it this past weekend, and it was one of the greatest things that happened to me. I learned so much about myself as well as so much about other people that I didn't even know. I made new friends and learned to be myself around them. After a while, we thought of ourselves more like a family than anything. Karios has definitley changed my life and the way I look at myself and I highly reccomend it to anybody that is of the Catholic faith and those who are lost of themselves.

Doubt the First. Cry the Second. Trust the Third. Live the Fourth.
  #164  
Old Jun 27, '10, 8:18 pm
Onedayatatime Onedayatatime is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 25, 2009
Posts: 280
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Very unfortunate that one of the greatest spiritual gifts we can give or receive are often in these retreats. The unfortunate issue is most Catholics don't get to participate. I am a cradle Catholic and became involved in Cursillo and Residents Encounter Christ (a prison retreat based on similar principles) that showed me the real power of the Holy Spirit.

Obviously any retreat can be badly run, in fact I attended the Marriage Encounter with my wife of 30 years and we left on Sunday to avoid any further collatoral damage to our relationship ... Very badly run event, at least for one very happily married Catholic Couple.

Nonetheless, the principle of "A short Course in Christianity" which is the basis of these events is a great experience in prayer, spirituality and learning to be humble in the face of God. It is only by being humble and honest that we can bask in the glow of his unconditional love, and every one of the Cursillo based retreats I have attended or been "on team" have been very well controlled and managed to reflect the magisterium.

My 2cs .....
__________________
One day at a time .....

http://prayersandmeditations.com

Sign up for the Daily Gospel in email format. Because God wants to hear from us everyday. ....

And on twitter catholictwit and Poetry web site
  #165  
Old Aug 15, '10, 10:51 pm
lmccreedy lmccreedy is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 1
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Kairos Retreats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom317 View Post
Yes, but I am a parent and want to know what my children will experience. It is up to me to decide if it is appropriate.
While I completely understand a parent's reluctance to allow their child to go on a retreat of which details are purposefully withheld, I can only say that everyone I've known who has been on a Kairos retreat loved it. My cousin's school in California has had an active Kairos group for over half a decade, and I had the opportunity to talk to a lot of the seniors there this year after they'd been on the retreat. For my cousin, Kairos brought her back to the faith after she'd stopped going to church when her grandmother died. Prior to the trip, she said that she hadn't lost faith in god, just in a loving god. Another girl on her trip was an atheist when she signed up, and had major issues with depression. At the end of the retreat, she told my cousin that she still didn't think she believed in Christianity, but for the first time she felt connected with other people and hopeful.
Even though my cousin ended up leading a retreat last year, she won't tell me any details about it. She says that she loved it, but that she doesn't want to cheapen the effect that a retreat would have on me if I ever get the opportunity to go. I do know that she talked to my aunt extensively about it after she got back, and the my aunt helped her prepare to co-lead her own retreat.
While it sounds like there is definite variation in the quality of Kairos programs, if you can contact an alumni, and receive positive feedback, then I highly suggest allowing your child to go. It's had a hugely positive effect on many teenagers that I know, if not in strengthening their faith, in strengthening their relationships and interactions with the people around them.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retreats JimR-OCDS Spirituality 9 Sep 22, '10 1:31 pm
Catholic Retreats MidnightSun02 Spirituality 7 May 2, '07 10:09 pm
Ever hear of a KAIROS retreat? CelticSword Spirituality 7 Mar 3, '06 10:13 pm
Parish men's & women's retreats? contemplative Spirituality 2 Feb 2, '06 7:58 pm
What Spiritual Retreats Do Folks Recommend? JackPaul Spirituality 11 Aug 4, '05 7:41 am



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8535Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: svid2
5197CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4433Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3869SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3833Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3392Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3299Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3150For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:51 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.