Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > PBA Ban: 2007

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 18, '07, 10:40 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Supreme Court Backs Ban on Abortion Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary bobo View Post
As I recall, Justice Ginsberg said that Roe v Wade was not a good decision Constitutionally, and she is pro-abortion.

The overwhelming majority of Consitutional Scholalrs say that Roe was bad law. HOWEVER they always supprt it by saying it has been law too long to overturn it. Preety bad rationale, IMO, to allow the killing of our children

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Apr 18, '07, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam View Post
President Bush Pleased by Supreme Court's Decision to Uphold Partial-Birth Abortion Ban

...Today's decision affirms that the Constitution does not stand in the way of the people's representatives enacting laws...
That's why we have elected representatives. And they need to assert their Constitutional authority to stop judicial interference in this particular area of the law.
Old Apr 18, '07, 10:46 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
This has got to hurt Guliani. He is the only Republican Canidate that supported this gruesome procedure. And as been mentiond the old "cant do anything about abortion" rastionale aint going to fly anymore.
On a fair note to Guiliani, he has said quite publically that Supreme Justice Roberts and Associate Justices Thomas, Scalia, and Alito are his models for SCOTUS nominees.

Does everyone here realize that every Justice who voted in the majority are Catholic, Roberts, Alito, Scalia, Thomas, and Kennedy.
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Apr 18, '07, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg94086 View Post
That's why we need to fight hard to return a Republican majority to the Senate, and another pro-life (sorry Giuliani, but you don't cut it) Republican president.
I'm new, so hope I'm getting this right....the question is: WHO?
Old Apr 18, '07, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Lafrance View Post
On a fair note to Guiliani, he has said quite publically that Supreme Justice Roberts and Associate Justices Thomas, Scalia, and Alito are his models for SCOTUS nominees.

Does everyone here realize that every Justice who voted in the majority are Catholic, Roberts, Alito, Scalia, Thomas, and Kennedy.
Did Thomas convert before or after joining the court?
Old Apr 18, '07, 10:56 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARSUS View Post
I'm new, so hope I'm getting this right....the question is: WHO?
Welcome to the forum ...and it is a good question. Please refer to previous post. http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....4&postcount=23
Old Apr 18, '07, 11:06 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Here Democrat reaction:

On Wednesday, Edwards said he "could not disagree more strongly" with the high court's decision.

"The ban upheld by the Court is an ill-considered and sweeping prohibition that does not even take account for serious threats to the health of individual women," Edwards said. "This hard right turn is a stark reminder of why Democrats cannot afford to lose the 2008 election."

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama said the decision is a dramatic departure from precedents safeguarding women's health.
"I am extremely concerned that this ruling will embolden state legislatures to enact further measures to restrict a woman's right to choose, and that the conservative Supreme Court justices will look for other opportunities to erode Roe v. Wade, which is established federal law and a matter of equal rights for women," Obama said.

---------------------------------------------

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Apr 18, '07, 11:09 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARSUS View Post
Did Thomas convert before or after joining the court?
He is a devout Catholic, usually goes to Daily Mass at St Josephs on Caopitol Hill(I saw him there many times) and has always been pro-life

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Apr 18, '07, 11:12 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
"I am extremely concerned that this ruling will embolden state legislatures to enact further measures to restrict a woman's right to choose, and that the conservative Supreme Court justices will look for other opportunities to erode Roe v. Wade, which is established federal law and a matter of equal rights for women," Obama said.
And that is EXACTLY what I'm hoping WILL happen!!!!

~Liza
Old Apr 18, '07, 11:21 am

Religion: RCIA

Quote:
Here Democrat reaction:

On Wednesday, Edwards said he "could not disagree more strongly" with the high court's decision.

"The ban upheld by the Court is an ill-considered and sweeping prohibition that does not even take account for serious threats to the health of individual women," Edwards said. "This hard right turn is a stark reminder of why Democrats cannot afford to lose the 2008 election."

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama said the decision is a dramatic departure from precedents safeguarding women's health.

---------------------------------------------

I don't know how any human being could support this procedure. I don't know what else to say.
Old Apr 18, '07, 11:27 am

Not a resounding affirmation of life (Kennedy was the author of the opinion, after all), but any step in this direction is a good one
Old Apr 18, '07, 11:29 am

Religion: Catholic (formerly Baptist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg94086 View Post
There are several good candidates, but most of them are not getting much notice by the general population. According to the most recent USA Today/Gallup poll, the top Republican nominees are:

Giuliani 35%
McCain 22%
Thompson (Fred) 10%
Romney 9%
Gingrich 7%

Everyone below them is polling 2% or less. http://www.pollingreport.com/wh08rep.htm

Giuliani is pro-choice, McCain is wishy-washy, Thompson is pro-life, Romney has a good pro-life record as Governor, but was formerly pro-choice. Gingrich is pro-life.

I think Romney and Thompson are the best choices out of the bunch. Thompson hasn't announced yet, but I hope he will soon.

PS Pro-life Goth? snicker, snicker.
AFA has a straw poll going on right now. You can cast your vote here.

Personally, I'm' currently for Sam Brownbac, based on things I've heard on these forums, but I'm open to suggestions. Which other candidates are Traditional Catholic types?
Old Apr 18, '07, 11:33 am

Angry Re: Supreme Court Backs Ban on Abortion Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramalama View Post
I don't know how any human being could support this procedure. I don't know what else to say.
The very sensibilities that make us Catholic Christians prevent us from undertaking to showcase graphic representations in public fora (at least, I'm not aware of any) which would clearly illustrate this most brutal, heinous and surreally demonic form of murder. Sometimes I think that's too bad....but we cannot and should not seek to rival PETA....
Old Apr 18, '07, 12:05 pm

I just hope that this ruling doesn't discourage "hail mary" labor inductions or c-sections.

sometimes when a mother is dying, or will imminently die, labor is induced or the baby is removed on a wing and a prayer that Drs will be able to keep it viable.

I read a case study where the surgeon literally called a chemistry professor at the University and asked "do you have ANYTHING that could help us get oxygen to the baby's lungs, but wont dry them out?".

The professor gave the surgeon supersaturated oxygen solution that they pumped into the lungs, and the baby is now 5 years old. It is now a published and peer-reviewed method that has brought viability to near 22 weeks.
Old Apr 18, '07, 12:10 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCatholic View Post
I just hope that this ruling doesn't discourage "hail mary" labor inductions or c-sections.

sometimes when a mother is dying, or will imminently die, labor is induced or the baby is removed on a wing and a prayer that Drs will be able to keep it viable.

I read a case study where the surgeon literally called a chemistry professor at the University and asked "do you have ANYTHING that could help us get oxygen to the baby's lungs, but wont dry them out?".

The professor gave the surgeon supersaturated oxygen solution that they pumped into the lungs, and the baby is now 5 years old. It is now a published and peer-reviewed method that has brought viability to near 22 weeks.
Since none of those involve poking a hole in a babies head and sucking their brains out I dont see how this would be a problem at all.

Miguel Agustin Pro

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > PBA Ban: 2007