Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 20, '07, 6:11 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Extraordinary Breastfeeding video

Here's a video of a woman in England breastfeeding at age 7. I guess it's not the end of the world, but I still can't believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHRyRCHuQ7g

What do you ladies think?
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:19 pm

Religion: Catholic convert!!!!!!! (summer 2005)
Default Re: Extraordinary Breastfeeding video

Wow.

I guess this falls into the category of "whatever works for you and your family".

My personal opinion? Weird. Strange. Different. Not for me. But I don't think it's wrong.

And with all of the breastfeeding problems Lily and I still have (at only 9 months) breastfeeding her for 6 or 7 more YEARS sounds like my own personal hell

malia
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:30 pm

I agree. Extraordinary is a good title. I breastfeed mine about 1 1/2 years and THAT was plenty! Personal Hell sounds just about right.
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:34 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSacred View Post
Here's a video of a woman in England breastfeeding at age 7.
I had no idea a 7 year old was capable of lactating.
---KCT
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCT View Post
I had no idea a 7 year old was capable of lactating.
---KCT

My grammar was probably wrong. What do you think of breastfeeding a 7 year old child? They seem like nice people. They sound like they are neo-pagans, from the sounds of their prayer.
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:47 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

I think discussing this is gossip. Just because they posted this video is no reason for us to talk about them and make judgements.
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Sally View Post
I think discussing this is gossip. Just because they posted this video is no reason for us to talk about them and make judgements.

Really? I never thought of that. It seems that they agreed to the video, so I thought it was okay and up for discussion.
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:50 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Seriously? Using that logic, are there any threads on this forum that would not be considered gossip? Talking about our spouses, children, in-laws, stories in the news, all gossip? Just wondering why it's bothering you this time.

Wife of one,
Mother of six.
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:51 pm

Religion: Catholic convert!!!!!!! (summer 2005)

Quote:
How else are we supposed to learn about these things? They did make it public knowledge. I, for one, realized that there are many women out in the world who practice "extended breastfeeding" but had no clue that anyone breastfed for that many years.

Openly discussing this type of topic (in a nice way, no bashing) might help some poor mom who WANTS to keep breastfeeding her child but society/family/doctors or whoever tell them they NEED to stop.

I think gossip is more of a non-productive bashing session where nothing good is intended.

Malia
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:52 pm

Six months of nursing seemed like a long time to nurse before I had a child. When my first child reached 6 months of age I was reluctant to introduce solids because she was still so young. I was reluctant to wean at a year, because she was still so young. Our nursing relationship has lingered on.

Even as our children master new skills and concepts, they always seem so young and small and vulnerable. While I don't think I'll be nursing a 7 year old, I also don't think it's much of a stretch to understand why she does.
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:54 pm

It's extreme, but there are lots of variations in human behavior. I read that it's practiced in some remote African tribes. They seem like relatively pleasant and normal people. The kids look happy. They sure think highly of breastfeeding!
Old Apr 20, '07, 6:55 pm

It's better than mangos or a million melons!
Old Apr 21, '07, 7:27 am

I think the part that alarmed me the most was their prayer at meal time. It was truly paganish and new agey. The other thing was the girls naming the breasts and drawing pictures of them.... doesn't sound all that functional to me. How about the youngest saying she was never going to stop nursing... Ummm pardon me, but I really love breastfeeding but I can't see it lasting past 2 or 3 years old if you can make it that long. How do you nurse a child after they are in school? Does this mean that the little girl can't go to sleep overs because she has to nurse? How about the comments about the mum having to tell them to leave her alone in the morning because the girls at age 7 and 9 come up and touch them while she is trying to get dressed? And for the love of God, did she really need to share that the girls didn't like her wearing a bra?

I guess just about everything about that video was just wrong in my mind.
Old Apr 21, '07, 7:52 am

Thumbs down Re: Extraordinary Breastfeeding video

I think the mom is rather sick in the head. There is zero function or benefit to nursing a 7 yr old. Past age 3 or 4 there is no longer a nutrient benefit or a development benefit.

The "bond" she talks about at that age is not about bf-ing. It's the bond of mother and child. A hug and cuddle on the sofa with a book serves the same purposes. If her dd's have never made the transition from the bond of bf-ing to the bond of livng physical affection - there's a problem there. They shouldn't need bf-ing to feel loved and comforted anymore.

In some remote areas of afrrica they might bf--ed until that age, but that's because they have no other sources of food! So yes, if I had breastmilk and my 7 yr old was starving - I would certainly nurse the poor child. That is not a normal situation though and neither situation is a healthy one either.

I can completely see up to age 3, maybe 4, but there is normally no healthy benefit to going past that.
Old Apr 21, '07, 8:07 am

Blest One and Rob's Wife, You both make alot of good points. As far as their religious beliefs, I'm no more bothered by that, than by any other non-Christian. At least they do pray. All of your other comments seem on the mark.

I have had acquaintances who breastfed to 4 and 5, and I have to say that it didn't seem to me that these women had very healthy relationships with their kids. The kids were manipulative and had too much control. I didn't know these women very well, but I remember going over to the house of one woman, and her little boy, age four, climbed up on the kitchen table with a carving knife while she meekly asked him to please stop, then she promised him some 'chi chi' she called it. The boy was clearly running the show, it was really weird.

Another woman, daughter age 5 was breastfeeding. Her daughter also seemed to run the show. That child was just plain spoiled and had Mom wrapped around her finger. This mom I knew through a mother's group. The mother was extremely arrogent about her childrearing practices, which were very lenient and entirely 'child led'. I found it grating to be around that pair.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting