Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 24, '07, 10:24 pm
cor cor is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 10, 2007
Posts: 405
Religion: Theist
Default Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

How much of an article are we allowed to quote?

"Katie Holmes reportedly wants to enrol daughter Suri into "kiddie Catholicism" classes - even though husband Tom Cruise is a devout Scientologist.

"The actress, who was raised a Catholic, gave up her religion and embraced the bizarre sci-fi cult when she met in Tom in 2005.

"But Katie has now allegedly been secretly talking to pastors about her child's upbringing, and wants to enrol one-year-old Suri into some classes when she is older to learn about the faith, according to Life and Style magazine.

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn....etect=&abc=abc
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 25, '07, 4:31 am
Biblioassistant Biblioassistant is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 5, 2007
Posts: 1,072
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Hmm, we can hope she comes to her senses - Tom's former wife Nicole Kidman has re-joined the Catholic church.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 25, '07, 4:51 am
LilyM's Avatar
LilyM LilyM is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: February 1, 2006
Posts: 33,102
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

You'd think he'd have learned and chosen a Scientologist lass for his third wife, wouldn't you!
__________________

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!


God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 25, '07, 4:58 am
GuanYuWarGod GuanYuWarGod is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2007
Posts: 160
Religion: Catholic (w/ Independent Beliefs)
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

But Katie Holmes is not a practicing Catholic is she?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 25, '07, 5:49 am
catholicbuckeye catholicbuckeye is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 28, 2007
Posts: 251
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanYuWarGod View Post
But Katie Holmes is not a practicing Catholic is she?
She was brought up Catholic but I guess "converted" to Scientology or at least accepted it. I feel badly for her. I think she was a girl from a small town who within an instant had all her childhood dreams realized at the highest levels possible and didn't really have a chance to step back and think about what was actually happenning and think longterm about her life. Going from shopping at Franklin Park Mall with allowance money to Rodeo Drive with movie star money and dating Hollywood celebs. It was probably overwhelming for someone in their early to mid 20s. Hopefully she is able to "slow her life down," bring her faith back into her life and get Suri on the proper foundation!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 25, '07, 6:45 am
Lance Lance is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 5,373
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicbuckeye View Post
She was brought up Catholic but I guess "converted" to Scientology or at least accepted it. I feel badly for her. I think she was a girl from a small town who within an instant had all her childhood dreams realized at the highest levels possible and didn't really have a chance to step back and think about what was actually happenning and think longterm about her life. Going from shopping at Franklin Park Mall with allowance money to Rodeo Drive with movie star money and dating Hollywood celebs. It was probably overwhelming for someone in their early to mid 20s. Hopefully she is able to "slow her life down," bring her faith back into her life and get Suri on the proper foundation!!!
I'll give my sympathy to people who deserve it. Like the families of soldiers who have died, the soldiers who have lost limbs and been mentally scared by defending us, abused kids and women, the homeless, those hurt by the abuse scandal in the Church but not one drop for some spoiled, rich Hollywood star like Katie Holmes. She knew exactly what she was doing and she did it for the fame and money. She made her bed now she has to lay in it.
__________________
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 25, '07, 6:51 am
nichjake nichjake is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 20, 2007
Posts: 299
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

I hope she does. I'm not in agreement with a lot of what Catholicism teaches but its a heck of a lot better than scientology...those people are nuts.
__________________
Two points about me:
1) I'm an atheist, but I'm here to learn, not cause problems.
2) Feel free to ask me questions about my beliefs, all I ask for is respect.
Pleased to meet you all
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 25, '07, 6:55 am
puzzleannie puzzleannie is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2004
Posts: 37,470
Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

we don't have CCD classes for one-year olds. What a Catholic parent should be worried about at this age is having the child baptized, which is done through the faith of the parents, and in which the parents make a solemn promise before God and the Church to raise the child Catholic. If this is not going to happen, religious instruction is moot.
__________________
Whatever the Lord pleases He does, on heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps. Ps. 135
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 25, '07, 8:34 am
catholicbuckeye catholicbuckeye is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 28, 2007
Posts: 251
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I'll give my sympathy to people who deserve it. Like the families of soldiers who have died, the soldiers who have lost limbs and been mentally scared by defending us, abused kids and women, the homeless, those hurt by the abuse scandal in the Church but not one drop for some spoiled, rich Hollywood star like Katie Holmes. She knew exactly what she was doing and she did it for the fame and money. She made her bed now she has to lay in it.
You are certainly entitled to "give your sympathy" to whoever you want (and I am sure they are very grateful of such a lavish gift); obviously soldiers deserve more than just sympathy (actually, most probably want our respect and gratitude, not necessarily our sympathy, though I can't presume to speak for them)....abused women and children certainly do. Those hurt by abuse in the Church do as well. Katie certainly was tempted and has apparently fallen short as a result. Certainly in that she has taken on Scientology and presumably doesn't practice her Catholic faith. You can say what you want or feel what you want about her. I am sure that when your number is called, you will be judged with the same mercy and understanding as you show others.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 25, '07, 9:01 am
Teelynn Teelynn is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 20, 2005
Posts: 3,500
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I'll give my sympathy to people who deserve it. Like the families of soldiers who have died, the soldiers who have lost limbs and been mentally scared by defending us, abused kids and women, the homeless, those hurt by the abuse scandal in the Church but not one drop for some spoiled, rich Hollywood star like Katie Holmes. She knew exactly what she was doing and she did it for the fame and money. She made her bed now she has to lay in it.
Not necessarily. I can understand where you are coming from, but don't we need to pray for her? and for all those that have lost their way??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard it said that Our Lord would like us to pray for all who need our prayers and especially those that have lost their way.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 25, '07, 10:10 am
Lance Lance is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 5,373
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelynn View Post
Not necessarily. I can understand where you are coming from, but don't we need to pray for her? and for all those that have lost their way??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard it said that Our Lord would like us to pray for all who need our prayers and especially those that have lost their way.
I do pray for all lost souls but since I have a limited amount of time I can spend in prayer I am not going to single out Katie Holmes like I do others who I know need my prayers. Maybe I was not clear in my statement.
__________________
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 25, '07, 10:13 am
Lance Lance is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 5,373
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicbuckeye View Post
You are certainly entitled to "give your sympathy" to whoever you want (and I am sure they are very grateful of such a lavish gift); obviously soldiers deserve more than just sympathy (actually, most probably want our respect and gratitude, not necessarily our sympathy, though I can't presume to speak for them)....abused women and children certainly do. Those hurt by abuse in the Church do as well. Katie certainly was tempted and has apparently fallen short as a result. Certainly in that she has taken on Scientology and presumably doesn't practice her Catholic faith. You can say what you want or feel what you want about her. I am sure that when your number is called, you will be judged with the same mercy and understanding as you show others.
Why do you feel she deserves anymore compassion or prayers than anyone else who has fallen away from the Catholic Church? I do pray for all of them, I just don't have time to spend in prayer for her alone. That said I don't have time for this thread anymore either.
__________________
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 25, '07, 10:37 am
gmarie21 gmarie21 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 26, 2006
Posts: 3,108
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
we don't have CCD classes for one-year olds. What a Catholic parent should be worried about at this age is having the child baptized, which is done through the faith of the parents, and in which the parents make a solemn promise before God and the Church to raise the child Catholic. If this is not going to happen, religious instruction is moot.
Maybe she secretly had Suri baptized w/o Tom's knowledge. I know of someone who did this w/o her Muslim husband knowing they were baptized (he still doesn't know). Then again this is all speculation based on a tabloid report.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 25, '07, 10:45 am
Dandelion_Wine Dandelion_Wine is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 9, 2004
Posts: 2,357
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Maybe...

Maybe God does work in mysterious ways and eventually she will bring Tom into the Catholic Church?



Maybe...
__________________
"I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction." - Calvin
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 25, '07, 12:45 pm
catholicbuckeye catholicbuckeye is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 28, 2007
Posts: 251
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Why do you feel she deserves anymore compassion or prayers than anyone else who has fallen away from the Catholic Church? I do pray for all of them, I just don't have time to spend in prayer for her alone. That said I don't have time for this thread anymore either.
I don't! The topic was Katie Holmes, who was I supposed to talk about!!? That is good that you pray for as many as possible. Hope everybody does!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise Scientology "wedding" lizaanne Popular Media 75 Dec 3, '06 5:34 pm
Rumor of Cruise/Holmes Split denied by Cruise/Holmes Little Mary Popular Media 12 Mar 8, '06 2:27 am
I just threw up! Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise on MTV. dsproule Popular Media 63 Jul 20, '05 7:18 pm
Tom Cruise says Katie Holmes "Digs" Scientology David_Paul Non-Catholic Religions 43 Jul 8, '05 10:24 pm
Anyone know of Catholic or Pro-life Health Plans T.A.Stobie, SFO Family Life 1 Jun 28, '04 10:19 am



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8034Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: tawny
4821CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
4288Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3811SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3367Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: James_OPL
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3146Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2960For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: KrazyKat
2686Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: James_OPL



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:59 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.