Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '07, 10:24 pm

Religion: Theist
Default Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

How much of an article are we allowed to quote?

"Katie Holmes reportedly wants to enrol daughter Suri into "kiddie Catholicism" classes - even though husband Tom Cruise is a devout Scientologist.

"The actress, who was raised a Catholic, gave up her religion and embraced the bizarre sci-fi cult when she met in Tom in 2005.

"But Katie has now allegedly been secretly talking to pastors about her child's upbringing, and wants to enrol one-year-old Suri into some classes when she is older to learn about the faith, according to Life and Style magazine.

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn....etect=&abc=abc
Old Apr 25, '07, 4:31 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Katie Holmes' Catholic plans for Suri

Hmm, we can hope she comes to her senses - Tom's former wife Nicole Kidman has re-joined the Catholic church.
Old Apr 25, '07, 4:51 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

You'd think he'd have learned and chosen a Scientologist lass for his third wife, wouldn't you!

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Apr 25, '07, 4:58 am

Religion: Catholic (w/ Independent Beliefs)

But Katie Holmes is not a practicing Catholic is she?
Old Apr 25, '07, 5:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanYuWarGod View Post
But Katie Holmes is not a practicing Catholic is she?
She was brought up Catholic but I guess "converted" to Scientology or at least accepted it. I feel badly for her. I think she was a girl from a small town who within an instant had all her childhood dreams realized at the highest levels possible and didn't really have a chance to step back and think about what was actually happenning and think longterm about her life. Going from shopping at Franklin Park Mall with allowance money to Rodeo Drive with movie star money and dating Hollywood celebs. It was probably overwhelming for someone in their early to mid 20s. Hopefully she is able to "slow her life down," bring her faith back into her life and get Suri on the proper foundation!!!
Old Apr 25, '07, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicbuckeye View Post
She was brought up Catholic but I guess "converted" to Scientology or at least accepted it. I feel badly for her. I think she was a girl from a small town who within an instant had all her childhood dreams realized at the highest levels possible and didn't really have a chance to step back and think about what was actually happenning and think longterm about her life. Going from shopping at Franklin Park Mall with allowance money to Rodeo Drive with movie star money and dating Hollywood celebs. It was probably overwhelming for someone in their early to mid 20s. Hopefully she is able to "slow her life down," bring her faith back into her life and get Suri on the proper foundation!!!
I'll give my sympathy to people who deserve it. Like the families of soldiers who have died, the soldiers who have lost limbs and been mentally scared by defending us, abused kids and women, the homeless, those hurt by the abuse scandal in the Church but not one drop for some spoiled, rich Hollywood star like Katie Holmes. She knew exactly what she was doing and she did it for the fame and money. She made her bed now she has to lay in it.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Old Apr 25, '07, 6:51 am

I hope she does. I'm not in agreement with a lot of what Catholicism teaches but its a heck of a lot better than scientology...those people are nuts.
Pleased to meet you all
Old Apr 25, '07, 6:55 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

we don't have CCD classes for one-year olds. What a Catholic parent should be worried about at this age is having the child baptized, which is done through the faith of the parents, and in which the parents make a solemn promise before God and the Church to raise the child Catholic. If this is not going to happen, religious instruction is moot.
Old Apr 25, '07, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I'll give my sympathy to people who deserve it. Like the families of soldiers who have died, the soldiers who have lost limbs and been mentally scared by defending us, abused kids and women, the homeless, those hurt by the abuse scandal in the Church but not one drop for some spoiled, rich Hollywood star like Katie Holmes. She knew exactly what she was doing and she did it for the fame and money. She made her bed now she has to lay in it.
You are certainly entitled to "give your sympathy" to whoever you want (and I am sure they are very grateful of such a lavish gift); obviously soldiers deserve more than just sympathy (actually, most probably want our respect and gratitude, not necessarily our sympathy, though I can't presume to speak for them)....abused women and children certainly do. Those hurt by abuse in the Church do as well. Katie certainly was tempted and has apparently fallen short as a result. Certainly in that she has taken on Scientology and presumably doesn't practice her Catholic faith. You can say what you want or feel what you want about her. I am sure that when your number is called, you will be judged with the same mercy and understanding as you show others.
Old Apr 25, '07, 9:01 am

Quote:
Not necessarily. I can understand where you are coming from, but don't we need to pray for her? and for all those that have lost their way??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard it said that Our Lord would like us to pray for all who need our prayers and especially those that have lost their way.
Old Apr 25, '07, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelynn View Post
Not necessarily. I can understand where you are coming from, but don't we need to pray for her? and for all those that have lost their way??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard it said that Our Lord would like us to pray for all who need our prayers and especially those that have lost their way.
I do pray for all lost souls but since I have a limited amount of time I can spend in prayer I am not going to single out Katie Holmes like I do others who I know need my prayers. Maybe I was not clear in my statement.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Old Apr 25, '07, 10:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicbuckeye View Post
You are certainly entitled to "give your sympathy" to whoever you want (and I am sure they are very grateful of such a lavish gift); obviously soldiers deserve more than just sympathy (actually, most probably want our respect and gratitude, not necessarily our sympathy, though I can't presume to speak for them)....abused women and children certainly do. Those hurt by abuse in the Church do as well. Katie certainly was tempted and has apparently fallen short as a result. Certainly in that she has taken on Scientology and presumably doesn't practice her Catholic faith. You can say what you want or feel what you want about her. I am sure that when your number is called, you will be judged with the same mercy and understanding as you show others.
Why do you feel she deserves anymore compassion or prayers than anyone else who has fallen away from the Catholic Church? I do pray for all of them, I just don't have time to spend in prayer for her alone. That said I don't have time for this thread anymore either.

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Old Apr 25, '07, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
we don't have CCD classes for one-year olds. What a Catholic parent should be worried about at this age is having the child baptized, which is done through the faith of the parents, and in which the parents make a solemn promise before God and the Church to raise the child Catholic. If this is not going to happen, religious instruction is moot.
Maybe she secretly had Suri baptized w/o Tom's knowledge. I know of someone who did this w/o her Muslim husband knowing they were baptized (he still doesn't know). Then again this is all speculation based on a tabloid report.
Old Apr 25, '07, 10:45 am
Book Club Member

Maybe...

Maybe God does work in mysterious ways and eventually she will bring Tom into the Catholic Church?

Maybe...
Old Apr 25, '07, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Why do you feel she deserves anymore compassion or prayers than anyone else who has fallen away from the Catholic Church? I do pray for all of them, I just don't have time to spend in prayer for her alone. That said I don't have time for this thread anymore either.
I don't! The topic was Katie Holmes, who was I supposed to talk about!!? That is good that you pray for as many as possible. Hope everybody does!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media