Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Sears or Wal-mart for pictures?
Sears 12 37.50%
Wal-Mart 6 18.75%
Other 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 30, '07, 9:04 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Baby Pictures: Sears or Wal-Mart?

We live in a fairly rural area. I'm going to take the little guy to get pictures taken for his birthday. I've taken DD to wal-mart and Sears both in the past.

The people at Sears did a better job but they were SOOOO expensive. I have a hard time saying NO sometimes.

The people at wal-mart did OK with DD but we didn't get any SUPER cute ones.

Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been.

There are a few professional photographers in the area but we certainly can't afford them either!!! I can't wait until my kids start school so they get a yearly photo taken there without someone trying to sell you some adorable yet over priced package.
Christopher
Old Apr 30, '07, 9:14 am

Default Re: Baby Pictures: Sears or Wal-Mart?

Sometimes at sears if you go in the baby section they'll have coupons attached to some of the more "gifty" stuff...see if you can find a cheap outfit and then get the coupon......
Old Apr 30, '07, 9:25 am

I voted for Sears mainly because Walmart endorses homosexual lifestyles
Old Apr 30, '07, 9:33 am

I voted 'Other'. When my first one was a baby, her pediatrician said to avoid those places because their long-term quality wasn't good. He said that I didn't want them looking jaundiced in 10 years. Go back and look at your own old school picts. You're jaundiced. So, I opted to get fewer but higher quality portraits done. My kids are now 12 and 15 and their baby pictures are still holding their color. But, I do admit that I was picture poor during those years.
Old Apr 30, '07, 9:39 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

Do your own! Do you have a digital camera? You can drape something and set up a shot when baby is happy and relaxed at home. Take a gazzillion digital images, find the one you love then go have prints made.
Old Apr 30, '07, 10:01 am

My daughters have been almost exclusively at Walmart. I don't think yellowing is going to be a problem. Photo quality has improved considerably since our school days. Alot of yellowing occured back when we were younger because our parents stuck them in the sticky photo albums that weren't acid free. My daughter is 11 and her first pics at 2 mo. look the same as they did when they were taken.

Some times I have had really cute ones taken other times not so great. If you they're not as cute as you'd like just get the basic package (it's usually very cheap) -you can always do it again at another time. Shop around to different Walmarts if you find a good photographer try to get an appointment with the same one again next time. Also try to go at not peak times when they hire in extra (and usually less experienced) help like right before Christmas. If you want Christmas pics go earlier in the fall before the big rush. Also try to go during days (and hours) when they are less busy -like mornings during the work week when most kids are in school, so they won't rush. Getting one of the first shoots of the morning usually works out best for me.

And for those that object to Walmart for moral reasons the photo studio just rents out a spot -they used to do work for KMart now they work for Walmart -they are not owned by Walmart.
Old Apr 30, '07, 10:07 am

We use JC Penny. We have used them for 4 years now. We always get coupons for 3.99 a sheet and we buy the portrait club membership...usually use a coupon we get for 50% off and it's a 2 year membership for $20 (with coupon). That means free sittings and rolling coupon offers for 3.99 a sheet. With three kids...it really saves us. I only take them for annuals once they turn 1, though...but still with 3kiddos....

Also...they do a fab job!!

One tip...(sorry haven't read all the posts) we have a spreadsheet that shows who we send what size of portrait to and we printit out and take it with us. Keeps us from "over buying" and we end up with no leftovers (meaning no wasted money!)

Proud Mama to 5 beautiful children + 1 Angel
S (2001) D (2003) H (2006) D (2009) V (2011)

Gregory (2013)

My Blog
Old Apr 30, '07, 11:37 am

We went to walmart once but never went back. Yuck! ****** quality and the scam of the century with their $5.00 packages.

We've done Sears twice and have gotten fantastic results both times. I spend almost $100 both times, too, because their were too many cute poses to just pick a cpuple But we also got enough to give to all the relatives including grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, cousins......

I've been to JCPenny and while the quality wasn't out of this world, they are a nice compromise between the two.

(DD2005) (DD2008) (miscarriage2010) (DS2012)
Old Apr 30, '07, 11:39 am

They're all overpriced--even school pictures. You'll be shocked when your children start school at the cost of school pictures

We have used Sears and JC Penny's. They are both okay, but they want to sell you all the digitally manipulated photos (aka: money wasters). Just say NO and buy just the pictures you want (make a list and stick to it!). I usually find coupons for cheap portrait sheets and buy only what I want. Sears isn't offering much in the way of cheap portrait sheets anymore, which is why we used JC Penny's last time.

I like my digital camera. We find nice outdoor spots for photos during the summer and then do the studio during the winter (MN, ya know.... )

Jennifer
Old Apr 30, '07, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer J View Post
They're all overpriced--even school pictures. You'll be shocked when your children start school at the cost of school pictures

We have used Sears and JC Penny's. They are both okay, but they want to sell you all the digitally manipulated photos (aka: money wasters). Just say NO and buy just the pictures you want (make a list and stick to it!). I usually find coupons for cheap portrait sheets and buy only what I want. Sears isn't offering much in the way of cheap portrait sheets anymore, which is why we used JC Penny's last time.

I like my digital camera. We find nice outdoor spots for photos during the summer and then do the studio during the winter (MN, ya know.... )

Jennifer
Sears usually offers anywhere between $1.99-$3.99 portrait sheet but you have to buy 7 or 8 ot the regular $8 to get the deal and anything over is cheap. Not usually a problem for us! Plus the coupons usually do no sitting fee also.

JCPenny is usually $3-4 and no sitting fee w/ coupon, not sure about limits though.

(DD2005) (DD2008) (miscarriage2010) (DS2012)
Old Apr 30, '07, 11:57 am

You can get coupons online as well:

http://www.searsportrait.com

Military discount
http://www.searsportrait.com/cpi/en-US/offers/Military/

http://www.jcpenneyportraits.com

Jennifer
Old Apr 30, '07, 11:59 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

We've always gone to Sears and have been very happy. I will say, though, it boils down to the person who is handling the camera. Some photographers are better than others.

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Apr 30, '07, 12:23 pm

We've never had a problem w/ Wal Mart. Try them and see what you think. Since we homeschooled, we went there yearly for pictures.

Do make an appointment though, in case it's busy. If you have an appt they'll make others wait. ---KCT
Old Apr 30, '07, 12:24 pm

I like the Picture People. They have better cameras, and I think there pictures come out with a lot more personality. I also really like snap shots though. You can get a lot more character taking your own picture with a digital camera and editing it, than you can at Sears or Walmart. My daughter has taken some amazing portraits, and she is a pro on Photo Shop.
Old Apr 30, '07, 12:31 pm
Veteran Member

Thanks everybody!

I do already decline all the digitally enhanced ones. Some pictures do look very nice in sepia but I'm not falling for it this time. OK. I'll try not to!

We do have a coupon for Sears for a free sitting and I think a free 8 X 10.

Thats a really good idea about making a spreadsheet to say who gets what size of print! I normally just get a 5X7 for most everybody but then there my mom likes to get some wallets to send to all the aunts and uncles (and there's alot of them)

At Christmas time, I always wait until we get our tree up and then I take a cute picture of the kid(s) in front of it and have several 4X6s printed at CVS. I have the cards ready to go and all addressed any everything. We're usually just waiting for the Christmas tree. I think that would be fun to take them on a real photo shoot for Christmas or other holidays but I can't afford it.

I think this year is going to be the year for pictures too! They had a company come in to DD's daycare around Easter. We got a bunch of precious pictures of DD in her Easter Dress. My mom split the cost with me. Now, I'm taking the squirt to get his picture taken. I want one of them together too to put in the 16X20 frame in our living room, and then in June they are taking pictures for a new church directory! We don't have a good picture of our family (including DH) so I'm really looking forward to that one.

*sigh* and I thought I might get my credit card paid off once and for all this year.
Christopher

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting