Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 3, '07, 4:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Holy water at home?

I often see people filling up bottles with holy water from metal tanks in churches, presumably for home use.

But what are some legitimate uses for holy water in the home, and some dos and don't for its use?
Old May 3, '07, 4:29 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Holy water at home?

The main uses in the home would be to bless yourself as you do at church - maybe before or after prayers, when you wake up and before you go to sleep, whenever else you want ...

Some people set up little holy water fonts by the door, again so people can bless themselves as they go in and out.

you can bless the house itself too - sprinkle a little bit around each room -

I don't know too many illegitimate uses for it - I'm guessing you don't cook with it or bathe in it or anything

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old May 3, '07, 4:30 pm

I just wouldn't want to use it incorrectly or irreverently.
Old May 3, '07, 4:34 pm
Prayer Warrior

I keep several bottles on my headboard to bless myself and/or my room as I feel like I need to. I used to also carry a small bottle on me in the event that there was an emergency and I needed to bless someone else.
I do believe, help my unbelief! - Mark 9:24
Old May 3, '07, 4:36 pm

How do you bless a room? I don't have one of those rattle-looking things priest use to bless the congregation--I forget the name for those.

Do you need special bottles for the holy water? Should they be bought specially for the purpose? Obviously I wouldn't use a water bottle that had been used for gym/outdoor exercise.
Old May 3, '07, 4:38 pm
Forum Supporter

You can install a holy water font at yor door and "Bless" your comings and goings [like we do when we enter and leave the church]

I like to use it to bless my grandchildren when they are going to bed.

As long as you use it respectfully and appropriately [as in it is not a superstition [miracle potion] holy water is much the same as any other 'sacramental' sacramentals are crucifixes, icons, rosaries, prayer cards, etc. Sacraments are something very different.

An aside, our priest was explaning to a question from our 'new catholics' regarding blessing a rosary they had received as a gift. He said [paraphrasong and going from memory]....The 'blessing' is not required for a sacramental, but every priest is willing to bless an article. Having an article blessed dooes not make it "work" better.....The blessing actually comes to user of the article [rosary, crucifix etc] by the grace of Jesus through its appropriate use....as in a rosary [blessed by a Pope] that lies in a drawer, unused, provides no benefit. A rosary [unblessed] but used daily to meditate on the life of Christ benefits the user greatly; the benefit though flows from God's grace, not the object. Hope that makes sense.....

Take the Holy Water home and use it as an aid to grace......

YADA
Respect Christ - Vote Life
Old May 3, '07, 4:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
How do you bless a room? I don't have one of those rattle-looking things priest use to bless the congregation--I forget the name for those.

Do you need special bottles for the holy water? Should they be bought specially for the purpose? Obviously I wouldn't use a water bottle that had been used for gym/outdoor exercise.
I tip the bottle upside down on my index & middle finger and dab out some water, then fling it in the direction I wish it to go. If I feel I need a lot then I will pour some into the palm of one hand and use my other fingers to fling it where I want it to go. (what a great visual huh? A guy flinging water around his room, but that's exactly what I do.)

Yes, there are special bottles for holy water that you can get at your local Catholic bookstore or online. This is what I would strongly suggest. However, I've never heard of anything saying one can't use just a regular bottle.
I do believe, help my unbelief! - Mark 9:24
Old May 3, '07, 4:48 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Personally I pour a little water into one palm, dip teh fingers of the other in to wet them and just flick the water around a little. I think some of the holy water bottles actually have little nozzles in them so you can just kinda flick the bottle in each direction like the thing the priest uses (I think it's called an aspergillum?)

I don't think you need to buy a special bottle, although obviously whatever bottle you use should be clean - and preferably the label removed or covered up and the bottle clearly labelled as holy water to prevent it being mistaken for anything else.

Old May 3, '07, 4:50 pm

YADA, you bring up an important point. I am a convert, and the matter of sacramentals wasn't covered to my satisfaction in RCIA, whereas questions of marriage, divorce, and annulment were examined ad nauseum. I guess that's because they had a limited amount of time to cover a lot of information, and they had to appeal to the broadest demographic, and Catholics just don't seem to use sacramentals or devotions, or observe feasts, etc. like they used to.

I think the line is fuzzy, especially with new Catholics, as to the line between superstition and reverence. Similarly, I would say most new Catholics aren't too clear about Mariology, devotions to the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts, Divine Mercy, the Saints, etc. And I think that's a shame. One of the reasons I converted was the Catholic Church is bottomless, with so much to learn and choose from and aid in worship.
Old May 3, '07, 5:02 pm

Religion: Catholic but at the moment seperated from the sacraments

Hello Hipster Doofus,

You would be surprised how many Catholics use sacramentals.

Dont get me going. I have incense and icons, holy water and other things.

I am not a geriatric either.

Quote:
YADA, you bring up an important point. I am a convert, and the matter of sacramentals wasn't covered to my satisfaction in RCIA, whereas questions of marriage, divorce, and annulment were examined ad nauseum. I guess that's because they had a limited amount of time to cover a lot of information, and they had to appeal to the broadest demographic, and Catholics just don't seem to use sacramentals or devotions, or observe feasts, etc. like they used to.

I think the line is fuzzy, especially with new Catholics, as to the line between superstition and reverence. Similarly, I would say most new Catholics aren't too clear about Mariology, devotions to the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts, Divine Mercy, the Saints, etc. And I think that's a shame. One of the reasons I converted was the Catholic Church is bottomless, with so much to learn and choose from and aid in worship.
Old May 3, '07, 5:10 pm

I've used an empty, de-labeled, and clean cough syrup bottle to get holy water. I use it, in a dropper, to bless my house once in a while. I just fill the dropper, and squeeze out a few drops in each room, while praying, "Jesus, I love you, save souls!"

My children (particularly my 2 year old) love to bless themselves with it each morning. I use it to bless myself at the end of the day before I say my rosary.

I also insist on my husband using it on days when he has a particularly horrid day of work ahead of him (he protests, but ultimately rolls his eyes and lets me do it. )
Old May 3, '07, 5:11 pm

Quote:
I often see people filling up bottles with holy water from metal tanks in churches, presumably for home use.

But what are some legitimate uses for holy water in the home, and some dos and don't for its use?
We have a small font near the front door. I Bless myself before going out in the morning and many times Bless myself when I come home.

Once in a GREAT while I am forced to flick Holy Water on my wife's three pomeranians when they go ballastic barking and doing backflips when I walk in (just to be certain they aren't really demonic yappers. hehe) Yes, God has a sense of humor - he created the little vermin!
Pope John Paul II
Old May 3, '07, 5:18 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Dent View Post
We have a small font near the front door. I Bless myself before going out in the morning and many times Bless myself when I come home.

Once in a GREAT while I am forced to flick Holy Water on my wife's three pomeranians when they go ballastic barking and doing backflips when I walk in (just to be certain they aren't really demonic yappers. hehe) Yes, God has a sense of humor - he created the little vermin!
Isn't it funny how it's only when the dogs or the children are being rotters that they suddenly become your spouses instead of belonging to both of you

Old May 3, '07, 5:21 pm

Dear Hellisreal,

I was just assuming that since "they" say most American Catholics skip mass, don't believe in the Real Presence, use contraception, etc., that most also don't use sacramentals. It does seem, looking through an old book like "My Catholic Faith," that most of us have lot a lot of the richness of the Church in the last decades.

Now I have incense and use it, but nothing especially holy--just the usual "New Agey" or Indian stuff you can buy anywhere to freshen the smell of a room. I don't have an outlet for "Catholic" incense.

I've been out of work awhile--well, I'm doing a contracting job from home that ends next week--and it's afforded me a lot of time so I can do 90 minutes or so of prayer and devotionals when I wake up.I really, really enjoy that, and adding holy water to that would really enhance things, I think.
Old May 3, '07, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
Isn't it funny how it's only when the dogs or the children are being rotters that they suddenly become your spouses instead of belonging to both of you
Lily, they are hers. The poms decided this. heh

I admit I do pat them, help feed them and take them outside but TRUST ME when they are in her lap I am not allowed a hug, a kiss or a 2 foot proximity to my wife. They turn on me. LOL

Plus, I am incredibly allergic to cats and dogs. My beautiful wife gave her cat to her mom when we got married. It was hard for her but she didn't want me suffering.

So I promised her I'd get her an animal in the future if she could find one I wouldn't end up in the hospital because of. For some reason pomeranians fur doesn't cause an allergic reaction. I agreed to one.

Long story how I ended up living with three of em! LOL

Our three kids are ours! Well, techinically they are God's but he allows us to be in charge of em!
Pope John Paul II

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality