Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 17, '04, 6:25 am

Religion: catholic
Smile Difference between Reverend and Very Reverend

Can anyone tell me why some priests titles are Reverend and
some are Very Reverend?
Old Sep 17, '04, 8:55 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Difference between Reverend and Very Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta Ann
Can anyone tell me why some priests titles are Reverend and
some are Very Reverend?
You would address an ordinary priest as reverend and a monsignor as very reverend, a bishop as most reverend.
Old Sep 17, '04, 8:59 am

I thought it had to do with whether their trousers had patches on the knees from so much kneeling.
Old Sep 17, '04, 9:26 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (from the cradle)

As a life-long Catholic, I know I should know this but....

How does a priest get to be "monsignor"? While we are at it... How about associate pastor, pastor, etc.? Does a priest have to be a monsignor to move on to bishop? And how does he get to be bishop and on up? I do understand that the Pope picks the Cardinals. And what about the difference between diocesan priests and priest in other orders?
Old Sep 17, '04, 9:12 pm

Religion: Catholic

Wow a lot of great questions! Order priests very often live in community. We have a parish near ours that has Order priests and there are at least 3. They have their own chain of command. Although they serve in the diocese with the bishops permission, the superior of the Order can transfer them at any time. The locaL bishop has no control over this. The Order promises to take care of them for the rest of their lives. A regular parish priest is more on his own. He is responsible totally to the bishop. At retirement, he has to fend for himself. The Order priests have infirmaries, where they take care of their own. If a retired parish priest becomes very ill and has no family to help him, he will have to go to a nursing home. We have Catholic nursing homes nearby that take priests. Hope that others will work on the other questions.

God bless you,
Deacon Tony SFO
Old Sep 17, '04, 10:04 pm

Post Re: Difference between Reverend and Very Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Chiara
As a life-long Catholic, I know I should know this but....

How does a priest get to be "monsignor"?
These days it is simply an "honor" title and before you ask, there are two kinds: one is appointed to the title for life, the other only for the life of the pope who makes the title active.

Quote:
While we are at it... How about associate pastor, pastor, etc.?
To differentiate between who is in charge and bottom line responsible for the parish: for instance, a parish has a pastor, another priest comes in to help and he is then an associate.

Quote:
Does a priest have to be a monsignor to move on to bishop?

No

Quote:
And how does he get to be bishop and on up?
In large dioceses a form is sent out to priests and any auxiliary bishops. They send in three names of other priests they feel would make a good nominee for bishop. The Ordinary of the diocese tallies up the votes, adds to the final 5 names those he feels should be nominated and forwards the final 3 or 5 (depends on size of diocese) to the nuncio. The nuncio is supposed to vet the list, ask any questions he feels are pertinent, place them in the order of preference and forwards onto the Congregation of Bishops. There are exceptions to the rules however, for instance one diocese I was in had a large influx of a specific ethnic group who needed ministering and priests in parishes serving them needed leadership. Our bishop requested from the Vatican that he be given someone who spoke their tongue, was familiar with their customs and so we got someone from another place to serve that need.

Quote:
I do understand that the Pope picks the Cardinals.
This is and is not true. Some traditional jobs are given to people with the understanding that if they are served out well they entitle the person holding them to a curial "red hat"--some dioceses have always had "Cardinals" as they are considered "important" or pivotal dioceses. So there ae variations whether or not the pope likes the man, or would prefer someone else, traditional "rewarding" is big in the Vatican and the curia would be highly incensed if tradition was not followed.

Please keep in mind that there are always exceptions: for instance O'Malley had just been assigned to one diocese when he was pulled out and sent to Boston. This was done because pastorally he had received such high marks in ministering to victims of abuse and in moving the diocese on.
Old Sep 20, '04, 8:43 am

Quote:
How does a priest get to be "monsignor"?
It's a title of honor that is granted at the discretion of the bishop. For example, if a pastor completes a successful construction project, and manages to pay off the debt, he'd given the honorary title (but no increase in his meager salary.)
Old Mar 27, '12, 9:59 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annunciata View Post
You would address an ordinary priest as reverend and a monsignor as very reverend, a bishop as most reverend.
What I don't understand is our pastor is not a monsignor but is referred to as 'very reverend'. In the Denver Catholic Register this week (3/21/12), several churches are listed with the names of their pastors. The four that are listed with 'Very Rev.' have V.F. following their names. Is this their order and their own designation as a result? By the way, one of the monsignors listed is 'Rev. Msgr.' followed by his name. All very confusing!

ej's wife!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence