Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 8, '07, 10:20 am

Religion: Catholic (formerly Baptist)
Default Conservative alternative to AARP

A couple of years ago I heard about a Conservative alternative to AARP. Does anyone know the name/website of this organization, or have any good/bad experiences with it?
Old May 8, '07, 4:14 pm

Default Re: Conservative alternative to AARP

Bump
Old May 8, '07, 6:27 pm
Banned
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic. Loyal to the Holy See.

Good question because I’ll never join AARP.
Old May 8, '07, 6:32 pm

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

I don't know that much about AARP. What's wrong with them?
Old May 8, '07, 10:54 pm

Religion: Catholic

I dont think the AARP is conservative or liberal at all... they just are advocates for senior citizens. You are not thinking of the ACLU ARE YOU....if so the conservative alternative is ths ACLJ..American Center for Law And Justice.Headed by Jay Sekulow.....worth supporting!
Old May 9, '07, 2:58 am
Forum Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to geezerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dye View Post
I dont think the AARP is conservative or liberal at all... they just are advocates for senior citizens. You are not thinking of the ACLU ARE YOU....if so the conservative alternative is ths ACLJ..American Center for Law And Justice.Headed by Jay Sekulow.....worth supporting!
Whether you apply a label or not, let's just say that AARP has lobbied extensively on a lot of legislation and that their views and mine are often diametrically opposed. I paid for a ten year membership about fifteen years ago and I still receive their stuff in the mail. Don't really know how to get out of it.

Their main purpose seems to be pushing products or services offered by companies that give them the biggest kickbacks, for which I have never seen a proper accounting. Just a little shopping enables me to beat their "preferred" pricing every time. So much for that benefit. I personally think that a select few are receiving some major perks from the organization at the expense of the rank and file membership. Since their political views do not come close to representing mine, I'm through with them.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Old May 9, '07, 8:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbob View Post
Whether you apply a label or not, let's just say that AARP has lobbied extensively on a lot of legislation and that their views and mine are often diametrically opposed. I paid for a ten year membership about fifteen years ago and I still receive their stuff in the mail. Don't really know how to get out of it.

Their main purpose seems to be pushing products or services offered by companies that give them the biggest kickbacks, for which I have never seen a proper accounting. Just a little shopping enables me to beat their "preferred" pricing every time. So much for that benefit. I personally think that a select few are receiving some major perks from the organization at the expense of the rank and file membership. Since their political views do not come close to representing mine, I'm through with them.
My Mom is fed up with their liberal stances too. That's why I wish I could remember the name of the consevative alternative.
Old May 9, '07, 8:50 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

I just did a Yahoo Search and came up with 2:
  1. USA Next
  2. 60 Plus
There may be more
Old May 9, '07, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderAimlessly View Post
I just did a Yahoo Search and came up with 2:
  1. USA Next
  2. 60 Plus
There may be more
Thanks! USA Next is the one I remenber hearing about. I saw the Jarvis intervew.
Old May 9, '07, 10:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbob View Post

Hi Bob I didn't know about their views that differ with yours....I have read many of your posts and seem to agree with your opinion most of the time. Feel free to email me with any details on aarp. Mike
Old May 11, '07, 4:10 pm
Banned

Religion: American Catholic with an Irish heritage
Send a message via MSN to Lynn-D
Angry Re: Conservative alternative to AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine View Post
I don't know that much about AARP. What's wrong with them?
I think the AARP is a sham.

At first their purpose was to advocate for National Health Care which would have affected plans many of us worked all our lives to gain into our retirement years.

And yes, their political focus is most definitely Liberal.

When I first get my AARP credit card the interest rate was less than 9%, now it is above 24%. My credit line is $40,000.00 which shows I have good credit. But, the worst part is that I always pay my bill off each month and because of that I am told my credit rate is higher. Go figure, I can't.

I am retired and a over 55 so please tell me who the AARP is trying to help, themselves or others like me who are on fixed incomes? HUH!
Lynn-D
Old May 12, '07, 5:07 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I put a website together to show all the liberal things aarp is up to. The Conservative alternative to aarp is http://www.usanext.org/ where Art Linkletter is on the board of directors.

Check my site out.

http://www.aarpno.com/

God Bless Pope Benedict XVI

God Bless you all.
Old May 12, '07, 5:29 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

AARP assumes you want their membership, and signs you up off mailing lists come your 50th birthday. If you beat them to it (I did), you can call them and tell them to remove your name from all their records. If you don't, send them a return receipted letter and tell them to cancel your membership, removing your name from all records.
Old May 12, '07, 6:11 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

I am not pro or con on AARP, but the web site aarpno really only cites a few newspaper articles that make claims without any substantiation of their opinions. I checked their complaints against tax policy, and the tax policy AARP advocates on their Public Policies section is exactly the tax policy we have had in our country for a very long time. The the more you make the higher percentage of your income you pay, so this is a progressive tax system based on your ability to pay. What's the beef?

I do know AARP has some very good medical benefits that have helped people I know who would have been up a creek otherwise. They are a big organization, so it's easy to pick a nit with them - someone could easily do the same to most of the newspapers in this country, who have had their own agendas for years.

It seems everyone has a chip in their shoulder these days. Believing any unsubstantiated statements on some person's web site and forming your beliefs based on that is pretty naive IMHO. Read up and make your own decision, being judgmental with no fact is pretty anti-Christian.
I'm saved (Eph 2:5–8), being saved (1Cor 1:8), and hope I'll be saved (1Cor 3:12–15). I'm working out my salvation in fear (Phil 2:12), with hopeful confidence in Christ (Rom 5:2).

Old May 12, '07, 6:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

The site is just that. Articles other media personel have written so you can read to make up your own mind.

Everyone has there own opinions, so you decide who you want to beleive.

Nothing anti christian about anything.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence