Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 18, '04, 1:11 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default How do I find out what parish I am supposed to go to?

I cannot register in the one we regularly attend because we do not live inside the boundaries. We wrote the pastor asking if he would make an exception and he did not respond. I need to know where I am actually registered because our baby will need to be baptized soon, and I want to go where I will not get hassled about where I live.

Do I call the archdiocese? The individual parishes?

Thanks.
Old Sep 18, '04, 7:47 pm

Default Re: How do I find out what parish I am supposed to go to?

You can call the parishes in your area. Or attend Mass at them all and get a feel for what parish you like. The rules have changed a bit on this issue, at least here in MI. People go where ever they are happiest. We have people from all over registered at our parish.
Old Sep 18, '04, 7:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

ZtM:

You do not say which Archdioces you are in, but here in the Archdiocdes of Philadelphia, the parish web listing has the boundaries of each parish.

Another good sources is to do a zip code search on MassTimes.org. This will tell you the nearest parishes to you.

As for me, I do not belong to the parish whose boundaries I am in. I had to get permission in writing from that parish to belong to the one I now belong to.
PF
Old Sep 19, '04, 1:59 pm

The 1917 Code of Canon Law specified that one must attend the parish in whose boundaries he lives.

The 1983 Code has no such specification.

Parish boundaries bind the pastors, not the people. A pastor is responsible for all the Catholics living within the boundaries of his parish, but those Catholics may register in any parish they wish.

I don't know if individual dioceses have differing rules about this, but it seems to me Canon Law would apply everywhere. Nothing official about that, though, just my opinion.

As a practical answer to your question, call the chancery office and ask. They will tell you of any Diocese-specific rules and will also be able to tell you in which parish you live.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Sep 19, '04, 7:18 pm

When I grew up in Albany, we were in the boundaries of a parish my parents hated. The church itself was ugly, the priests were, well, not pleasant. The last time we went was Xmas eve, and the sermon was about of all things, the evils of suicide. (Way to bring some holiday spirit to the mass dude). It was a parish full of young children which is why my parents started going there, since they had five kids between the ages of 2 (me) and 14 (my sister), but the parents there never controlled their children, they would run around and scream and cry, and my parents couldn't keep us in check when we started to behave like the rest of the little heathens running around. We then started go to a church that isn't even in a residential area, but in the downtown area, and we love it there.

I moved to Boston. I live in Somerville now, but I attend mass in Dorchester mostly cause theres parking, and the mass is in English, and most churches near me speak in the Brazilian form of Portuguese. I don't feel bad about not attending a parish that I'm within, I find a place that makes me happy, and you should do the same.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence