Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 18, '07, 11:14 am

Default MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Questions

Hi, everyone! Here is my question - a Mom at church today asked me if we could start a MOPS group (we already have a playgroup - very informal and more support for Mommies who all have soldier husbands it ends up and free play for the kiddos). In all the MOPS groups I seem to find in our area, the Baptist churches host the groups. (One group has been trying to convert a RC friend of mine who attends, lol.)

My question is, is MOPS, though non-denominational, more Protestant and Baptist-based? Their faith statement seems to suggest as much to me personally. http://www.mops.org/page.php?pageid=...inklist&src=78

Churches/parachurches and individual MOPS ministry leaders must embrace and agree on the basic, orthodox truths of the Christian faith and the essential issues of salvation. We believe the Bible is the foundation for these truths. It is Godís Word, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, and is authoritative on all matters on which it speaks. MOPS International is committed to telling the truth of the saving work of Jesus Christ, of Godís grace to mankind, of the reality of the Trinity and the role of the Church in Godís plan for the world. These foundational Christian beliefs are reflected in many of the historic church creeds.

Thanks so very much!
Tina
Old May 18, '07, 11:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Questions

I had been interested in joining one of these groups. One of my friends from college is in a MOPS group, but she is a non-denominational Christian. I don't think that a Catholic Church could sponsor a MOPS group because in their statement,they seem to be speaking of sola scriptura. DH doesn't want me to join a MOPS group for this reason, though as a former protestant, I'd know what to look out for/ignore. I think it would be OK to join a group as long as one knows their faith well. I haven't ever been to a meeting, so I don't even know if they include much spirituality anyway, or if it's mostly just moms getting together for support.
Old May 18, '07, 11:45 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

Sounds Sola Scruptura to me.... I'd run the other way.
Old May 18, '07, 3:40 pm
Book Club Member

Sola Scriptura? That may be there intention but as Catholics we could fully agree with that statement.
Old May 18, '07, 3:51 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_ignatius110 View Post
Sola Scriptura? That may be there intention but as Catholics we could fully agree with that statement.
That was my thought as well. The statement of faith didn't say the Bible was the ONLY authority.

I think a Catholic MOPS group would be wonderful. I would avoid the ones held in Protestant Chruches unless you're able to filter out the "Catholics are not Christians" message you'll probably hear. I was a MOPS leader in an Evangelical Church for several years - I know.

Would you have the volunteers & workers though? Depending on the size of your group - it's a pretty big undertaking and very different from a casual, get togther with some Moms sort of group.
Old May 18, '07, 4:47 pm

Thanks for all your replies! Yes, this would be a huge undertaking that would take some time to get underway since there is money involved for the charter fee, as well as annual charter fees.

I did find out while doing some research that there are indeed some MOPS groups held in Catholic churches around the country which makes me feel better. I guess the only people who have seemed to approach me personally have been more Baptist/Pentecostal/etc. and living in the Bible Belt does not help, lol!

Thanks again for all your responses. I think what I might do to guage interest and participation in this for our area is to conduct some surveys in our parish (if I can definitely get the help with the undertaking), and if there is enough interest, then make one of our 4 playgroups each month more in the format of a MOPS session, separating Moms and kids and having a speaker, craft, Bible study, etc. and see how that goes.

Thanks so much again!
Tina
Old May 19, '07, 3:05 pm

As a convert, I am probably oversensitive to Protestant bias in religious programs, but I belong to two different MOPS groups, and I've never run into any problems/confrontations.

One is at a Church of God, the other at some huge non-denom mega church. There are scripture readings, prayer requests, then a group prayer, and then a secular topic for the rest of the meeting. Not once have I run into a comment for crossing myself before/after the prayer, or any attempt to "convert" me. At one of the groups (the mega-church), the wife of one of the pastors is our "table leader" and anyone was going to try to "save" me, it would be her, but nope. It's been a non-issue.

That said, I do wish our parish, or one of the parishes in the area would start a MOPS group, but until that happens, I've had no negative experiences with ones in Protestant churches.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting