Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 26, '07, 6:31 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75
Default Difference between Catholic "speaking in tongues" as oppose to Pentecostal "speaking of tongues"

What is the difference between the Catholic speaking in tongues vs. Pentecostal speaking in tongues?

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old May 26, '07, 7:27 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian of the Latin Rite
Default Re: Difference between Catholic "speaking in tongues" as oppose to Pentecostal "speaking of tongues"

By way of a bump...

I meditated on this "speaking in tongues" during Mass today. I believe the "tongues" referred to, from the text, were established languages that were recognizable to those who heard them, even thought the apostles 'spoke' in their own language.

I don't buy into the idea of babbling gibberish noises.
Send me a PM to discuss my website

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/ Watch the videos down the page
Old May 26, '07, 8:00 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Difference between Catholic "speaking in tongues" as oppose to Pentecostal "speaking of tongues"

People with "speaking in tongues" do see things, hear things, do things...supernaturally, and it is the same for Catholics as well as other Christians.

Last week on Thursday, I went to a Healing Service and a mass by a Catholic priests, and there were quite a few non-Catholics attending there.

We all pray Our Father and Glory Be together, but for the non-Catholic folks, they were not comfortable with Hail Mary ...which I understand. The main thing - we were under the same roof praising and worshiping God via a Catholic mass.
Old May 26, '07, 8:07 pm
Forum Supporter

John Salza has an exceptional dissertation on this topic that is worth a read to address this question on his site here:
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/tongues.html
Old May 26, '07, 8:29 pm

I'm not an expert in this area, but I don't think there is any difference at all. In 1991 I moved from New York back home to Texas and joined a parish close to home. There was a charismatic group there, and I started joining them for their evening study/praise sessions. These were exactly like other small groups I had sat in on over the years. I stopped going to these after a short while because I started feeling uncomfortable with a certain vague Protestantness to the whole thing. I could tell our pastor wasn't completely OK with them, either.
Old May 26, '07, 8:36 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allweather View Post
I'm not an expert in this area, but I don't think there is any difference at all. In 1991 I moved from New York back home to Texas and joined a parish close to home. There was a charismatic group there, and I started joining them for their evening study/praise sessions. These were exactly like other small groups I had sat in on over the years. I stopped going to these after a short while because I started feeling uncomfortable with a certain vague Protestantness to the whole thing. I could tell our pastor wasn't completely OK with them, either.
Speaking in tongues isn't always a Holy gift. It can stem from Pride and I have seen it do just that. Its not a good thing when that happens.
Old May 26, '07, 8:50 pm

From my experience when I have gone to Catholic charasmatic services, people pray and someone is moved to go up to the front and speak to everyone in a language they are not familiar with, then someone else comes up and translates. I have seen people speak Hebrew and German. My dad used to go because he spoke many languages and he always hoped that he could translate. At our services our priest used to remind all in attendance of 1 Corinthians
27 If any speak with a tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and in course, and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him hold his peace in the church, and speak to himself and to God. 29 And let the prophets speak, two or three; and let the rest judge. 30 But if any thing be revealed to another sitting, let the first hold his peace.

Basically one should not speak in tongues unless there are those to interpret.

On the other hand.... I went with a friend to a Vineyard service where everyone was basically speaking in gibberish.... no interpretor, no one else understood what another was saying... no discernible language spoken.... It just didn't seem legitimate to me.

As a disclaimer, I am not charasmatic, nor do I regularly attend such services, I have gone to about a half dozen Catholic ones when my dad was alive, and one Protestant (if you call a non-trinitarian church like Vineyard, Protestant )
Old May 26, '07, 8:58 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlestOne View Post
From my experience when I have gone to Catholic charasmatic services, people pray and someone is moved to go up to the front and speak to everyone in a language they are not familiar with, then someone else comes up and translates. I have seen people speak Hebrew and German. My dad used to go because he spoke many languages and he always hoped that he could translate. At our services our priest used to remind all in attendance of 1 Corinthians
27 If any speak with a tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and in course, and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him hold his peace in the church, and speak to himself and to God. 29 And let the prophets speak, two or three; and let the rest judge. 30 But if any thing be revealed to another sitting, let the first hold his peace.

Basically one should not speak in tongues unless there are those to interpret.

On the other hand.... I went with a friend to a Vineyard service where everyone was basically speaking in gibberish.... no interpretor, no one else understood what another was saying... no discernible language spoken.... It just didn't seem legitimate to me.

As a disclaimer, I am not charasmatic, nor do I regularly attend such services, I have gone to about a half dozen Catholic ones when my dad was alive, and one Protestant (if you call a non-trinitarian church like Vineyard, Protestant )
Tongues can still be edifying even if someone doesnt interpret if its sincerely not from Pride but I must admit I have never seen an interpretation.
Old May 28, '07, 3:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatholikosMercy View Post
Speaking in tongues isn't always a Holy gift. It can stem from Pride and I have seen it do just that. Its not a good thing when that happens.
Where tongues are spoken, the Holy Spirit will ALWAYS provide an interpretation. How many have followed Sacred Scriptures and tested the spirit speaking in tongues. Let the Holy Spirit run the prayer group.
Old May 28, '07, 4:11 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

I read from one of the Catholic Charismatics here that there are two types of speaking in tongues. One type is where the speaker speaks in his own language and is understood by others in their own language(s).

The other type of speaking in tongues I just didn't get.

There were once a few charismatic Catholics on these boards, but many here were very uncharitable toward them.
Old May 28, '07, 4:15 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon James View Post
Where tongues are spoken, the Holy Spirit will ALWAYS provide an interpretation. How many have followed Sacred Scriptures and tested the spirit speaking in tongues. Let the Holy Spirit run the prayer group.
Always, without exception? Are you positive about that? Not that I am trying to disagree with you but its my understanding that interpretation is required when the gift is manifested in a foreign language (that I have never seen I might add) and not when the gift is manifested as "Ecstatic utterances" which are intelligible by God alone and the only Pentecostal version of the Gift I have ever witnessed or experienced personally.

In scripture it seems that there are instances of tongues being spoken without interpretation.

Acts 10:44-46 and Acts 19:5-6 and 1 Cor. 12-14 all speak about multiple gifts of tongues with little or no interpretation.

I should add that I have seen this done by very humble and holy people who I sincerely feel were moved by the Holy Spirit and in praise and not pride at all. I also have felt moved to "Ecstatic utterances" that I kept to myself. As well I have read that John Paul II said that he often prayed his personal prayers in ecstatic utterances that only God understands. I often equate this gift of the Spirit to a feeling of "lifting my heart to God".
Old May 28, '07, 5:52 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75

I see the Catholic response but no Pentecostal speaking out... about their types of "speaking of tongues"

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old May 28, '07, 5:54 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyfit75 View Post
I see the Catholic response but no Pentecostal speaking out... about their types of "speaking of tongues"
I really don't think any Pentecostals that aren't Catholic really give this any thought.
Old May 28, '07, 5:58 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatholikosMercy View Post
I really don't think any Pentecostals that aren't Catholic really give this any thought.
Why not?

Old May 28, '07, 6:04 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyfit75 View Post
Why not?
I don't know but their silence seems to speak volumes.

The one Pentacostal church I am thinking of I believe would not want to recognize that the gift can be missused at all.

They are more like the Church of Corinthians Paul admonishes from scripture. I hope they aren't all like this.

Can't really speak about any others besides the charismatic Catholics I have met which I mentioned in previous posts.

To bad that no one is here to give that perspective peacefully from personal experience.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions