Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 28, '07, 8:23 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default What are the teachings of the Church about marijuana use?

Does the Church see recreational marijuana use the same as it does alcohol and ciggarettes or is it handled seperatly?
Old May 28, '07, 8:31 pm

Religion: N/A
Default Re: What are the teachings of the Church about marijuana use?

I think the Church classes all forms of illegal drug use as a grave sin.
Old May 28, '07, 8:32 pm

Religion: catholic

No official stance for or against to the best of my knowledge.
Old May 28, '07, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg27 View Post
I think the Church classes all forms of illegal drug use as a grave sin.
So maybe if I lived in Amsterdam where it is not criminal I would not be sinning?
Old May 28, '07, 8:37 pm

Send a message via AIM to dbacks5439

Well, the Bible does talk about alcohol use. It's okay unless we get drunk and fall to sin. The Bible says nothing about mary-jane, crack, or angel dust so I'm guessing those particular plants serve some other purpose than to get stoned or high.
Old May 28, '07, 8:43 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

The Holy Father made references to drug dealers while in Brazil, how trampling on humanity would be punished by God.

The question to ask is whether one is living as a good Christian smoking pot...bearing proper witness to Christ..."Everything is allowed to me but not everything is good..."

I think it's Paul or Peter who make references to pharmacopeia (spelling?). This was any sort of mind-altering plant used by sorcerers.

The problem with pot, it seems, is the inidiscriminate use by many such as those who use it to escape from the world, or those who use it while disobeying their parents, or those who cannot find joy in something else.

It seems the smart thing is to not feel guilty if it happens but don't drive around high or go and sin, and if it becomes a habit stay away because it can lead to sloth.

God bless
Aaron

St. Thomas Aquinas

Old May 28, '07, 8:59 pm

We should respect the laws of our country, even if some may be unjust (e.g. abortion). In that sense, disobeying a law would be sinful.

However, a lot like alcohol, marijuana isn't sinful in itself. It is the excess that is the sin.
Old May 29, '07, 4:14 am

I'm with zachh on this one.

If you live in a country where it is illegal, or a home where it is not allowed then you have a sin of disobediance to those in authority.

If you do it, or anything of the kind to excess, then you are likely also guilty of glutony and sloth.

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachh View Post
We should respect the laws of our country, even if some may be unjust (e.g. abortion). In that sense, disobeying a law would be sinful.

However, a lot like alcohol, marijuana isn't sinful in itself. It is the excess that is the sin.
Old May 29, '07, 4:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Morgan View Post
Does the Church see recreational marijuana use the same as it does alcohol and ciggarettes or is it handled seperatly?
Catechism of the Catholic Church: http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by [url
www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm][/url] Respect for health
2288 Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.
Concern for the health of its citizens requires that society help in the attainment of living-conditions that allow them to grow and reach maturity: food and clothing, housing, health care, basic education, employment, and social assistance.
2289 If morality requires respect for the life of the body, it does not make it an absolute value. It rejects a neo-pagan notion that tends to promote the cult of the body, to sacrifice everything for it's sake, to idolize physical perfection and success at sports. By its selective preference of the strong over the weak, such a conception can lead to the perversion of human relationships.
2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.
2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.
Old May 29, '07, 5:02 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Morgan View Post
It would basically be the same as alcohol and cigarettes because it can harm the persons body. Like alcohol it can also cause a person to act in a manner that they normally would not.

It's use would not become a mortal sin itself, the sin would be in breaking a validly enacted civil law. In this aspect there would be no sin if it were not illegal, however the harm to the persons health and dulling of conscience would still be sinful.
Old May 29, '07, 9:33 am

The difference is, unlike alcohol, it's not really possible to smoke 'a little' pot to make you merry but not alter your mental processes in a major way. All marijuana use is meant to make you high. You can drink alcohol without getting drunk, but you can't smoke marijuana without getting high to some extent.

Marijuana's bad, mmmkay.
Old Jun 4, '07, 11:01 am

I would argue that comparing moderate alcohol use with moderate THC use are two totally different things. They are two totally different drugs that work two totally different ways.

With alcohol, you can drink one or two drinks at a moderate pace in a responsible environment, and they it can produce feelings of relaxation without drunkenness. If you are prudent and honest about how you body handles the alcohol, you have not lost control of your faculties of reason.

With THC, the effects are more all-or-nothing. Either you're stoned or you don't feel anything. You can take one or two "hits" from the joint and never feel any of their effects. Then on the third hit, BAM! You're stoned. THC has to reach some sort of threshold in your body before the effects are felt. It would be like from going from feeling absolutely nothing from the first two drinks of an alcoholic beverage to complete drunkenness on that third drink. You have therefore severely compromised your faculties of reason.

And your faculties of reason don't come back to a satisfactory level for many hours.

With moderate alcohol consumption, you can be relaxed, or "buzzed" before you get to drunkenness. But with marijuana, you can't be "a little stoned". That's like being a little pregnant.

Therefore, I don't believe the Catholic Church will ever approve of so-called "moderate" marijuana use.
Old Jun 4, '07, 11:23 am
Banned

Religion: The Holy Orthodox Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangler1982 View Post
You have therefore severely compromised your faculties of reason.
Yes. When your faculty of reason has been compromised--when your perception of reality has been altered--you become more vulnerable to every sort of passion.
Old Jun 4, '07, 11:43 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, convert from I/F Baptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangler1982 View Post
I would argue that comparing moderate alcohol use with moderate THC use are two totally different things. They are two totally different drugs that work two totally different ways.

With alcohol, you can drink one or two drinks at a moderate pace in a responsible environment, and they it can produce feelings of relaxation without drunkenness. If you are prudent and honest about how you body handles the alcohol, you have not lost control of your faculties of reason.

With THC, the effects are more all-or-nothing. Either you're stoned or you don't feel anything. You can take one or two "hits" from the joint and never feel any of their effects. Then on the third hit, BAM! You're stoned. THC has to reach some sort of threshold in your body before the effects are felt. It would be like from going from feeling absolutely nothing from the first two drinks of an alcoholic beverage to complete drunkenness on that third drink. You have therefore severely compromised your faculties of reason.

And your faculties of reason don't come back to a satisfactory level for many hours.
This is not true at all. Speaking as a former pot smoker, I never had my faculties of reason compromised to the same extent that they were on the occasions that I got drunk. Not even close.

Quote:
With moderate alcohol consumption, you can be relaxed, or "buzzed" before you get to drunkenness. But with marijuana, you can't be "a little stoned". That's like being a little pregnant.
Yes, you absolutely can get a slight buzz from a few hits of marijuana or you can get totally zapped from several more hits. It is absolutely not an "all or nothing" thing like being pregnant. Just like with alcohol, where the more you drink the drunker you get, the more you smoke the higher you get. What you cannot do is give yourself "marijuana poisoning" and die from overindulging in it like someone can do with alcohol.

Quote:
Therefore, I don't believe the Catholic Church will ever approve of so-called "moderate" marijuana use.
I don't believe so either, so long as it's illegal in the US and elsewhere, and I'm not at all saying that I hope the Church does approve of it.

Old Jun 4, '07, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL82 View Post
The difference is, unlike alcohol, it's not really possible to smoke 'a little' pot to make you merry but not alter your mental processes in a major way. All marijuana use is meant to make you high. You can drink alcohol without getting drunk, but you can't smoke marijuana without getting high to some extent.

Marijuana's bad, mmmkay.

Thatís not right
I know many people who treat pot like beer
Responsible middle aged folks with families and mortgages
They may have a hit when their work is done or maybe on vacation

It is very possible to smoke just a little
Afterall, that is why they make pipes and bongs with different size bowls.

Back OT
I seem to recall JPII chewing coca leaves with the natives when he was visiting South America
IIRC it is used in its natural form to combat altitude sickness

Anyone else remember that?

I believe the teaching is that when it is legal and used in a proper manner drugs can be quite useful

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology