Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 31, '07, 10:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Has your guardian angel told you his name?

I was saying a prayer to mine the other night and I asked him if he could tell me his name.....to somehow let me know, give me a sign. Immediately the name Linus popped right into my head. What's weird is I asked him years ago and had completely and totally forgotten it (else I wouldn't have asked him this time). As soon as I heard the name Linus in my head I remembered he had told me years back. I had completely forgotten...

I looked up Linus in the Catholic Church and it turns out there was a St. Linus who was the Pope who succeeded Peter. He's also the one who suggested to Peter that women cover their heads at Church. His feast day is Sept. 23rd which is also Padre Pio's birthdate. And St. Padre Pio is my patron saint. Pretty wild, huh?

I love my guardian angel Linus!!!
Old May 31, '07, 10:58 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Has your guardian angel told you his name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel63 View Post
I was saying a prayer to mine the other night and I asked him if he could tell me his name.....to somehow let me know, give me a sign. Immediately the name Linus popped right into my head. What's weird is I asked him years ago and had completely and totally forgotten it (else I wouldn't have asked him this time). As soon as I heard the name Linus in my head I remembered he had told me years back. I had completely forgotten...

I looked up Linus in the Catholic Church and it turns out there was a St. Linus who was the Pope who succeeded Peter. He's also the one who suggested to Peter that women cover their heads at Church. His feast day is Sept. 23rd which is also Padre Pio's birthdate. And St. Padre Pio is my patron saint. Pretty wild, huh?

I love my guardian angel Linus!!!
Yes Archangel 63, I know my guardian angel's name and she is so beautiful. When I asked like you the name popped in my head and for 2-3 days every where I looked I saw the name and then I realised why I kept seeing the same name. I had forgotten that I had asked for the name. its beautiful I love my own angel.
GraceAngel.
Old May 31, '07, 11:10 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (Devoted to Christ and the Blessed Virgin)

You'll probably want to throw rotten tomatoes at me but here goes. I do not think we should ask our guardian angel for a name, it's too easy to get attached to a familiar spirit (unclean) in my opinion. I use to channel the entity 'Seth' under a new age guru and other spirits as well so I'm very cautious about this type of thing so please be careful, and I say this from the bottom of my heart because I love all my catholic brothers and sisters immensely
Old Jun 1, '07, 4:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Howard View Post
You'll probably want to throw rotten tomatoes at me but here goes. I do not think we should ask our guardian angel for a name, it's too easy to get attached to a familiar spirit (unclean) in my opinion. I use to channel the entity 'Seth' under a new age guru and other spirits as well so I'm very cautious about this type of thing so please be careful, and I say this from the bottom of my heart because I love all my catholic brothers and sisters immensely
I call mine "Guardian." It feels safer and it fits. I tend to think that Angels probably have names relating to God. The Angels we know all have names relating to God--all end in with "el" denoting God--except for Lucifer, I guess.

I briefly used my search engine to see what would come up with Angel's names and two New Age sites came up recommending finding out your angel's name. One lady said she channels angels for people.
Old Jun 1, '07, 5:11 am

+J.M.J+

My seventh grade Religion teacher (in Catholic school), who was a former nun, told us a story about a girl who asked her guardian angel's name. Shortly afterward, someone started calling the girl "Maria," though that was not her name. The girl then realized that "Maria" must be her guardian angel's name; that this was the angel's way of telling her. The teacher then told us that we could do the same with our guardian angels.

I liked the idea at the time, so I asked my angel to reveal his/her name. Shortly afterward, the principal (also a nun) started calling me Kathleen, even though that was not my name. So for a while there I thought my guardian angel's name was Kathleen!

Well, I eventually came to doubt this whole method of finding out an angel's name, so I no longer call my angel "Kathleen." I've heard of people assigning names to their angel (doesn't Peter Kreeft call his "Frodo"?) so at one point I gave my angel a name based in Hebrew. That seemed fitting since, as noted above, most legit angelic names apparently are in Hebrew with the divine suffix -el at the end (Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, etc.).

However, now I'm not even completely comfortable with calling him by that assigned name, so I usually just address him as "O Holy Guardian Angel...." I read somewhere that the Church says we should always address angels in prayer as "holy...." I think that's supposed to make it clear that we intend to address holy angels of God rather than fallen angels.

In Jesu et Maria,
Rosemarie
Old Jun 1, '07, 8:24 am

Well, this may sound weird, but I just call mine "Joe", which is my own name.
I told him in a prayer that I look forward to meeting him some day face to face. I can't wait.
Old Jun 1, '07, 8:32 am

Would it be sacriledge to want to call mine Rocky Balboa? I always picture my guardian angel as fighting the spiritual fight on my behalf, like Rocky. Or maybe I am the fighter and he is the trainer. Maybe I should call him Mickey?

I would never call my guardian angel, Rambo! Now THAT would be sacriliedge!
Old Jun 1, '07, 2:24 pm

My Guardian angel never told me his name, but the places I've gone and things I have done over my life time and to be be still alive to talk about, his name must be Michael. St Michael defend me.

Old Jun 1, '07, 2:31 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
I never asked my Guardian Angel for name. I prefer to call Guardian Angel.
Old Jun 1, '07, 3:33 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Hello Michael,
Be at peace not tomatoes coming your way. And thank you for your caution. I was also very involved in new age momvement, so I am aware of what you are talking about.
I dont sit there and "channel" my guardian angel, I just know her name. My prayers are directed to God, to Jesus, through the Holy Spirit. I pray the Rosary, and other authentic catholic prayers.
But thank you for your timely concern.
God Bless
Grace Angel.
Old Jun 1, '07, 4:23 pm

I've always felt that my guardian angel has gotten me out of so many bad situations in my life. He looks out for me well. I do talk to him in prayer often, and feel close to him. I want him to know I think about him (imagine being an angel to an atheist) and that I appreciate the good job he's doing.

I had asked his name when I was deep in prayer. I sometimes almost feel his presence. Because Padre Pio is my patron saint, St. Pio has asked his little spiritual children to have their own guardian angels send their prayers to him in heaven. He said he will be at the Gates Of Heaven until all of his children have arrived in God's Kingdom. So, my guardian angel (Linus) relays my prayers immediately after I say them, to Padre Pio, who prays for me and talks to Jesus about my prayer. I love having a guardian angel! Linus is doing a great job. He's an awesome angel and I'll highly recommend him to God one day, when I meet Him, LOL!!
Old Jun 1, '07, 5:31 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (Devoted to Christ and the Blessed Virgin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
Hello Michael,
Be at peace not tomatoes coming your way. And thank you for your caution. I was also very involved in new age momvement, so I am aware of what you are talking about.
I dont sit there and "channel" my guardian angel, I just know her name. My prayers are directed to God, to Jesus, through the Holy Spirit. I pray the Rosary, and other authentic catholic prayers.
But thank you for your timely concern.
God Bless
Grace Angel.
Thanks for not pelting me with tomatoes I'm sure you are a very wise and discerning person and from what I sense it seems you love God very much. I wish you much peace on yourn journey in Christ and His kingdom
Old Jun 1, '07, 5:34 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Katie1723

My guardian angel's name is Richard. Just so happens to be my dad's name too.
Kathy
Old Jun 1, '07, 5:37 pm
Prayer Warrior

I've never asked, but I decided to call my guardian angle Purity, or Sanctimonia. I don't think she'll mind, as I find it helpful to call on her when I need help with bad thoughts, as well as saying a Hail Mary. Especially at night, when I'm trying to fall asleep, I like to imagine her spreading her wings over me to push back the agents of the devil with her graces from God.

As for one of the PP's comments about getting attached to a spirit, no worries. I always keep in mind that any protection that Purity gives me come from God, ultimately. ^^
Old Jun 1, '07, 6:00 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Using the logic that at baptism human beings are encouraged to be given a Biblical name or the name of a saint, I opened my Bible and gave my guardian angel the name of Gabriel.

Gabriel seems a very fitting name for him indeed, for in my life as a Spanish translator (I also proofread other languages), this angel appears to have led me to two namesakes! I've met TWO men named Gabriel who are Spanish translators, both having similar personalities, and both of whom get along good with me.

So my angel must take after the original Gabriel as a communicator, and be inclined towards languages, with a special love for Spanish.

~~ the phoenix

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality