Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 1, '07, 3:02 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Gospel of Matthew EWTN series with Dr. Tim Gray

I find Dr. Tim Gray to be so informative and so enlightening, I can't imagine why EWTN sticks his series into the wee hours of the morning, but they have a lot of good stuff there.

I just watched (at 3:30 a.m.) his episode on Matthew Chapter 16.
What a great lesson.

He explains a whole lot in a short time, and here's a couple nuggets of the episode.

Mt 16:19 is the verse about Jesus giving Peter the keys of the Kingdom. This is often misunderstood in the familiar but misleading image of St. Peter standing by the pearly gates of heaven. Gray: That's not the kingdom. The kingdom is here.

Read Isaiah 22 from about verse 15 to the end of the chapter. Eliakim is given the "keys" which means he is the overseer, or prime minister of the kingdom. Recall how in Genesis, Joseph was made the what? overseer or prime minister under Pharoah? He was in charge of everything.

That is what Jesus means by giving Peter the keys of the kingdom. Peter's role is very biblical.

This overseer is in charge when the king is away. OK? So, in Mt 16, Jesus "begins" to tell his disciples how he must suffer and die. See? He's "going away" and Peter will be left in charge of the kingdom.

Gray says we know why Jesus had to die. Jesus had many chances to die. If people declared him as Messiah openly, then he would be a king in oppositio to Herod and Caesar, and would have been killed quickly and handily. Even when he was crucified, that was the charge posted above him on the cross.

But, why did Jesus have to live, Gray asks? It was to establish the kingdom, and Mt 16 is pivotal in understanding that Jesus actually did it, and how he did it, in setting Peter in charge. Then and only then, as it says at the end of the chapter, Jesus began to tell the disciples how he must die.

Now, Gray is explaining what others have found before him. Look up Mt 16:19 in a bible with cross references, and you will see the cross reference to Is 22:22f. Jesus meaning is clear and unmistakable. but, my main point is, I've never heard this expressed so well in all my years of being a Catholic.

In this chapter, is one of the few instances of the use of the word 'church.' Jesus equates His kindgom with the Church. Written to the Jews, they wouldn't have understood the word. But, they did understand the idea of a kingdom.

Gray says without elaboration, the whole church is in the kingdom, but the church is not the entire kingdom (or some such words to this effect).
Old Jun 1, '07, 6:16 am
Forum Master

Default Re: Gospel of Matthew EWTN series with Dr. Tim Gray

That is an incredible man!!! I simply hate the format of the show, but the stuff he introduces is wonderful!!! I've seen this episode on Matthew 16, and luckily I taped it last night (this morning?), as I've been hoping to delve deeper into his study of this chapter. He's also on Saturday at 3:30pm Eastern Time. I don't know how much longer they'll carry this series, as it's been running for several months, but EWTN brings it back it seems like every year.

Just for that little information you gave us, here's another little prize for you.

A) The Gospel of John, by Tim Gray, is found on EWTN's Audio Library.
B) The Gospel of Mark, by Tim Gray, is also found there.
C) "The Mission of the Messiah" (the Gospel of Luke), is a wonderful book of Tim's. You simply must get it. He also wrote the Sacraments in Scriptures and a Bible Study on the Luminous Mysteries.

I highly recommend all of them!!!!!

If you have any other things he's done, please let me know. I think he's currently involved in Jeff Cavin's "Great Adventures" series.
Old Jun 1, '07, 8:36 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy
I simply hate the format of the show....
Maybe he needs more scripturally learned students on his panel, a few times the show reminded me of the Ben Stein scene in "Ferris Buellers Day Off". "Bueller......Bueller.....Bueller."
Old Jun 1, '07, 8:48 am

Yeah, I dislike the format of his shows, too. It's clear that he doesn't tip off these young people to what he's going to discuss, in any detail.

I'm sensitive to caffeine, of which I must have had some inadvertantly yesterday, because I was up all night. But, thank God for that. At 5 a.m. I saw the Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina "Swear to God" episode, which also was very interesting.

Hahn and Gray and the others on EWTN open up Catholic scripture in fantastic ways. I'm 58, and I can't imagine how these programs "sell" to teens and young adults. But, they are fantastic, a treasure.

If they had the energy, they would be well to put together a high-school video bible study course. Wouldn't that be a great compliment to a Catechism course by Fr. Corapi?
Old Jun 1, '07, 9:36 pm

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev23 View Post
Maybe he needs more scripturally learned students on his panel, a few times the show reminded me of the Ben Stein scene in "Ferris Buellers Day Off". "Bueller......Bueller.....Bueller."
Excellent observation, as I'm familiar with both "Ferris Bueller" and Tim Gray's studies.

Tim Gray rocks!!
Old Jun 1, '07, 10:21 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev23 View Post
Ha!!! I know I've driven down the road listening to his talks yelling, "Genesis, you idiots, Jesus is referencing Genesis"!!!!!

It gets a little embarrassing when I'm driving with someone else.
Old Jun 1, '07, 10:34 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

You can listen to them anytime you want, frustrating participants and all, right here:

http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/...D=6715&T1=mark

I was able to download these and convert them to mp3. Better than staying awake all night!

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Jun 2, '07, 5:33 am
Forum Master

If anybody finds his Matthew series on audio files, count me in!!!! for that matter, anything else of his!! (I've got Mark and John already).
Old Jun 10, '07, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm90 View Post
If they had the energy, they would be well to put together a high-school video bible study course. Wouldn't that be a great compliment to a Catechism course by Fr. Corapi?
Scott Hahn wrote a textbook about the Bible that is targeted for high school students although it contains a lot of valuable information for anyone wanting to learn more about the Bible called "Understanding the Scriptures: A Complete Course on Bible Study", part of the Didache Series. More info about this book is at: http://www.theologicalforum.org/mark...=1-890177-47-4

(Luk 24:32 NAB-A)
Then they said to each other, Were not our hearts burning (within us) while he spoke to us on the way and opened the scriptures to us?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture