Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Who are the legalistic Catholics???
Those overly focused on the finer points of Canon law, while ignoring the larger message of Christ. 9 29.03%
Those overly attentive to the details of rubrics as the be all end all expression of faith 4 12.90%
The overly scrupulous who obsess over exact wordings of prayer formulas, or agonize over small sins 2 6.45%
Those who over emphasise the 'spirit of Vatican II", going over the documents with a fine tooth comb, taking control of church committees and pushing for the changes they want, based on their own interpertations 3 9.68%
Those who agonize over details of church design, attire of priests or parishioners, demeanor of others in church etc... 0 0%
Those who have superstitious type practices such as praying a certain prayer 10 times and getting what you ask for, or burying a St Joseph statue upside-down in order to sell your house 3 9.68%
Other-please explain in a post.... 10 32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 22, '04, 9:43 pm
Banned

Default Who are the legalistic Catholics???

I'm interested in the subject of legalism as it applies to Catholics. Here is the definition from Webster's online dictionery:

Main Entry: le·gal·ism
Pronunciation: 'lE-g&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
1 : strict, literal, or excessive conformity to the law or to a religious or moral code <the institutionalized legalism that restricts free choice>

Who, in your opinion, falls into this definition in the Catholic Church? Also, any general comments are welcome.
Old Sep 23, '04, 6:45 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Who are the legalistic Catholics???

I can't believe there isn't an "All the above" choice!
Old Sep 23, '04, 9:55 am

I would have said the spirit of Vatican II types, but they don't go over the documents with a finetoothed comb. They don't read them at all.

Whitedove, the dissenters/liberals/progressives (they know who they are) are the most legalistic. They make their own laws based on what the Father of Lies tells them. Woe betide those who dare disagree. You weight all your "choices" in one direction. So none of them really fit. Aren't you letting your bias show? Don't be the Dan Rather of CA.
Old Sep 23, '04, 10:08 am

Pretty much, everyone in that survey is legalistic. It is hard to say who is more legalistic because they all are. The only exception are those who follow "the spirit of vatican II" because those folks aren't legalistic at all.
Old Sep 23, '04, 3:34 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

I chose other because, as other poster have suggested, I could’ve voted all of the above…

That said, I personally believe that as Catholics, if we keep our eyes on the “Prize” and are obedient to Christ’s teachings and really follow what He said, “ Love one another”…, then we will be set free from the “letter” of the law and truly begin to live in the “spirit” in which it was given….
Old Sep 23, '04, 3:53 pm

Send a message via ICQ to robertaf Send a message via AIM to robertaf Send a message via MSN to robertaf Send a message via Yahoo to robertaf

Greetings Church

I voted for "other" = all of the above.

Any of these or all of them do nothing but lead to some strange, self imposed sort of bondage. (That is not meant to be a Protestant term, they stole it from us.) We do create our own monsters, don't we.

CD, I do not agree with you. I was way into the Spirit if Vatican II (We thought it was the Holy Spirit of Vatican II, in fact, so couldn't be all bad). We read and studied the Documents and tried our best to come into obedience.
It is true that there were abuses but please don't try to say it was commonplace. Remember, we were following instructions laid out by Rome. Our Priests were all sent back to classes, meetings, seminars and you name it. They were being taught along with all of us. I get really tired of those of us who were striving to follow something entirely new to us and honor Holy Mother Church to be painted with the broad brush like we so often are.

Old Sep 23, '04, 6:37 pm

I voted "other" because I mistrust the definition of "legalism" you found on the on-line dictionary, and since the choices in the poll fit that definition. Unfortunately, modern dictionaries are often influenced by modern ideology. "Legalistic" always seems to be an insult from a liberal to a traditional-minded person.

But anyone can play that game. Maybe "legalistic" means ordering that you sing two Marian hymns in the same Mass, or that the Communion Rail has to be torn down, because some diocesan administrator has issued rulings to that effect?

I keep an old dictionary to gain a more historic understanding of words. Here is the definition of "legalistic" from the "Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition" (1945):

"Strictness, or the doctrine of strictness, in conformance to law, or, in theology, to a code of deeds and observances as a means of justification."
Old Sep 25, '04, 7:10 am

Smile Re: Who are the legalistic Catholics???

What is sad about legalistic Catholics is that when they read a certain regulation that says "Can" or " May" do something, they interpret it as "Must." They fail to understand that the bishop of a diocese as a decendant of the apostles has the right to set policy in his diocese as long as it is not refuted by Rome. Even it it says, "Must"....a bishop may petition Rome and get a policy changed, if he feels it would help the souls that are in his trust.

May God bless you.
Deacon Tony SFO
Old Sep 25, '04, 12:31 pm

Send a message via ICQ to robertaf Send a message via AIM to robertaf Send a message via MSN to robertaf Send a message via Yahoo to robertaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Tony560
What is sad about legalistic Catholics is that when they read a certain regulation that says "Can" or " May" do something, they interpret it as "Must." They fail to understand that the bishop of a diocese as a decendant of the apostles has the right to set policy in his diocese as long as it is not refuted by Rome. Even it it says, "Must"....a bishop may petition Rome and get a policy changed, if he feels it would help the souls that are in his trust.

May God bless you.
Deacon Tony SFO
Please continue to repeat this, in fact, shout it from the roof tops. This needs to be heard.

However, I think many will choose to ignore it.
Old Sep 26, '04, 8:57 pm

As to the poll, you should have added another option, All Of The Above. I say all of the above since the stated definition applies to all of them.

Gerry

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.

St. Augustine
Old Aug 27, '05, 7:12 pm

Religion: catholic

I think those listed in the first choice.

Quote:
That said, I personally believe that as Catholics, if we keep our eyes on the “Prize” and are obedient to Christ’s teachings and really follow what He said, “ Love one another”…, then we will be set free from the “letter” of the law and truly begin to live in the “spirit” in which it was given….
Exactly.
Old Aug 29, '05, 9:42 am
Book Club Member

I also agree that any of them can fall into legalism, but tend to think that 3 or 4 probably did more than others, so I didn't vote at all since no one choice fit.

To me legalism ultimately involves worrying more about the rules than the message, missing the forest for the trees. Jesus gave us two commandments: Love God, and Love your neighbor as yourself, and summed those up in the Beatitudes. After laughing at the Jews over the 600+ regulations in the Deuternonomy code,, we created from those two simple commandments a code of Canon Law and the CCC which make Deuteronomy seem amateurish by comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that we don't need explanations to make clear what we believe, or what sort of reverence we should be showing this awesome God of ours. What I will say though, as Paul made abundantly clear in Galatians and Romans, is that our salvation doesn't come from those explanations or rules. We are saved in our ability to recognize Christ in the least of our brothers and act accordingly--loving Him by loving them.

As soon as I take my eyes off of that and start telling people how it must be done, as if God needs my help in explaining what He wants, I am almost certainly going to be acting as a legalist.

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world." Mother Teresa
Old Aug 29, '05, 10:45 am

Religion: catholic

Great posts everyone. I have to agree with "all the above".

We certainly do all spend an incredible amount of time on here hashing out little details. The salvation formula. Do we let Christ consume US as we are supposed to and be His hands and feet? I think we worry more about how we looked, walked, stood, knelt,
STAND UP SIT DOWN, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!! It does seem as if we're on opposing teams sometimes.

Of course I am right and you are wrong. DUH
Old Aug 29, '05, 5:20 pm

Here's another "all of the above!"
Old Aug 29, '05, 9:37 pm
Banned

I voted 'other' because I thought all of the examples given were representative of legalism.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence