Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 10, '07, 6:53 pm

Religion: Catholic convert!
Default Which daily devotional magazine do you like?

I'm trying to decide among "Magnificat" (www.magnificat.com), "Living with Christ" (www.livingwithchrist.us), and "The Word Among Us" (www.wau.org).

My questions: Do you subscribe to any of the above? What do you like about them and why? If you don't, why not and do you subscribe to something else?

Any advice is appreciated!
Old Jun 10, '07, 7:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Which daily devotional magazine do you like?

I like Magnificat, because I love praying the psalms, and they are included in morning and evening and night prayer.

I also like the selection of hymn texts and the daily readings from all kinds of writers from earliest centuries to the present Holy Father.

And most of the time, I like the art on the front cover. And the paper is of lovely quality and feels good in your hands.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Jun 10, '07, 10:34 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

I like Word Among Us now that it has the Mass readings, because it is a better size for my chapel bag (Magnificat gets lost) and I already have my shorter Christian prayer. It also has larger type. Magnificat is style my favorite all around devotional especially for travelling, but I can't afford it, and WAU comes to the office (perk of the job). MIL used to swipe mine so I got her a subscription for Mother's day, she loves it, she can follow along with the Mass on EWTN. We get One Bread One Body in bulk and that is a great book to carry in your purse, but either you need to read the readings first (or attend daily Mass) or have your bible with you. But the reflections and mini-prayers are excellent. I am going to their bible study conference in July (Presentation Ministries, Cincinatti). I do send my grandkids Magnifi-kids every year, and pleased to see they still use it, even the high schoolers.
Old Jun 11, '07, 5:33 am

I have Word Among Us's annual edition, which is called Abide in My Word 2007. It doesn't have the prayers or reflections, just the Mass readings for each day. I did look at WAU and Magnificat monthlies, but decided an annual book would be more economical than the monthly booklets.
Old Jun 11, '07, 8:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosweetgirls View Post
I'm trying to decide among "Magnificat" (www.magnificat.com), "Living with Christ" (www.livingwithchrist.us), and "The Word Among Us" (www.wau.org).

My questions: Do you subscribe to any of the above? What do you like about them and why? If you don't, why not and do you subscribe to something else?

I love Magnificat. I like the hymns they print, and the art they discuss in the back of each issue.
Old Jun 11, '07, 11:57 am

I subscribed to Magnificat for about 3 years. I liked it, but have to admit that I didn't use it to its full potential. It includes morning and evening prayer w/scripture in addition to the daily Mass readings. There is also a daily meditation--sometimes it really hit me and sometimes, not. I feel that its "target audience" is Catholics who are really grounded in faith, who have their prayer lives together. While I am always striving to learn my faith and grow in it, I felt a little intimidated by Magnificat. My husband stumbled on WAU and wanted to order it, so I let my subscription to Magnificat expire. WAU also has daily meditations, but they are more practical, than philosophical, which works for me!

Kathy
Old Jun 11, '07, 12:23 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosweetgirls View Post

I second word among us...I love it, and read it daily.

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Jun 11, '07, 12:47 pm
Book Club Member

I like Magnificat very much, but if they are going to offer morning and evening prayers, I wish they would stick to what is in the Liturgy of the Hours. Sometimes the psalms don't match up. And I wish it had a section on pre- and post-Communion prayers. The typography and design are nice, too.
Old Jun 11, '07, 1:52 pm
Book Club Member

I just renewed my subscription to Living with Christ. I wanted it mostly so that I could have the Daily Mass readings, so it fits my needs there. THere are some prayers, blurbs about saints on their feast days, and meditations (but not necessarily daily). It fits easily into my purse, and the price was right! It also has the Sunday readings and the order of the Mass (Opening prayers, prefaces, Eucharistic prayers, etc) and a reflection at the beginning of each week.
Old Jun 11, '07, 2:06 pm

Word Among Us has good reflections and articles (on saints, spirituality, etc.), but it does not have the daily Mass readings (it has chapter and verse references that you can look up in your own Bible).

Magnificat contains the full daily Mass readings, but the Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer in it are not the same as those in the Liturgy of the Hours, so I would not use the ones in Magnificat. (There is nothing "wrong" with the psalms they choose, but if I am going to pray Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer, I prefer to be praying with the Church, the universal prayer of the Church.)

If I could create my own magazine, it would have the official Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer as well as daily Mass readings. That way I would only have to carry one small booklet with me when I travel.
Old Jun 11, '07, 6:58 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilotheaZ View Post
Magnificat contains the full daily Mass readings, but the Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer in it are not the same as those in the Liturgy of the Hours, so I would not use the ones in Magnificat. (There is nothing "wrong" with the psalms they choose, but if I am going to pray Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer, I prefer to be praying with the Church, the universal prayer of the Church.)

If I could create my own magazine, it would have the official Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer as well as daily Mass readings. That way I would only have to carry one small booklet with me when I travel.
I agree, as my post above shows. I wonder why Magnificat does not use at least, for example, the first psalm from the official morning and evening prayer.
Old Jun 11, '07, 7:04 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Word Among Us has good reflections and articles (on saints, spirituality, etc.), but it does not have the daily Mass readings (it has chapter and verse references that you can look up in your own Bible).

Actually...wau does have the readings. You have to click on 'readings.' If you get an error, it's because you have pop ups turned off...just turn your pop ups back on, and the daily mass readings will open.

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Jun 12, '07, 8:33 pm

Quote:
the reflections are why i like the Word Among Us. they speak right at my level of understanding.

"Pray the Rosary everyday." -Our Lady of Fatima

"Make frequent visits to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and the devil will be powerless against you." -St. John Bosco
Old Jun 12, '07, 9:39 pm

I would certainly highly recommend the Magnificat!
Here is an interesting article that shows how the Word Among Us got started.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...og/mogmain.htm
Old Jun 12, '07, 9:41 pm

I used to subscribed to Magnificat, but I didn't renew my subscription because of how expensive it was. But it was wonderful and beautiful, and I would definitely recommend it to others.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality