Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 14, '07, 12:27 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to zemi Send a message via AIM to zemi Send a message via MSN to zemi Send a message via Yahoo to zemi Send a message via Skype™ to zemi
Default Thread for all discerning priesthood and for those already studying for priests

Hi everyone!

I think I'll be in the next year discerning my call to priesthood and I would like to make a room here for everyone having similar intentions.

This thread is equally for those who have already found themselves to be called to lead a priestly life and are studying to become priests.

Hope we could share among us some good ideas, doubts, worries, enthusiasm and encouragement!

Welcome
Old Jun 14, '07, 12:48 pm

Default Re: Thread for all discerning priesthood and for those already studying for priests

Hi,

Thanks for this thread! I am finishing my university studies this year and planning to enter the seminary next year!
Old Jun 14, '07, 12:58 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via ICQ to zemi Send a message via AIM to zemi Send a message via MSN to zemi Send a message via Yahoo to zemi Send a message via Skype™ to zemi
Default Re: Thread for all discerning priesthood and for those already studying for priests

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperTotusTuus View Post
Hi,

Thanks for this thread! I am finishing my university studies this year and planning to enter the seminary next year!
That's great! I'm looking forward to the posts in this thread
Old Jun 14, '07, 1:37 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperTotusTuus View Post
Hi,

Same here... I have one year left at Notre Dame and then I'm planning (God willing) to enter for the Archdiocese of San Antonio.

Can we make it standard for first-time posters on this thread to mention what diocese/order they are in discernment/formation for? I know many will have mentioned it elsewhere but it would be helpful to have this info within the thread.

Thanks for starting the thread, zemi!
Old Jun 14, '07, 1:47 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by under the dome View Post
Same here... I have one year left at Notre Dame and then I'm planning (God willing) to enter for the Archdiocese of San Antonio.

Can we make it standard for first-time posters on this thread to mention what diocese/order they are in discernment/formation for? I know many will have mentioned it elsewhere but it would be helpful to have this info within the thread.

Thanks for starting the thread, zemi!
Sure. Gladly done!
Old Jun 14, '07, 1:49 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Ok folks,

if you don't mind, all of us could write a sentence or two about ourselves - just very briefly so that we can get to know each other a bit. It would be much more easier for everyone to know "who's who"
Old Jun 14, '07, 8:12 pm

Hi, I'm 18 years old and discerning at the Diocesan level. As those who peruse the ongoing Quigley threads around here probably know, I am a proud member of Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary's final graduating class.

I will be attending St. Joseph's College Seminary in the fall.

Pray for me!

My blog: www.catholicvideogamers.blogspot.com
Old Jun 15, '07, 2:07 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K. View Post
Hi, I'm 18 years old and discerning at the Diocesan level. As those who peruse the ongoing Quigley threads around here probably know, I am a proud member of Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary's final graduating class.

I will be attending St. Joseph's College Seminary in the fall.

Pray for me!
Hi Andy K.,

nice to meet you! I hope we'll pray here for each other, I guess everyone needs it!
Old Jun 15, '07, 6:09 am

Hi, my name is Paul, i'm 19 years of age.
For the past month, i have experienced the call to the priesthood.

In the next few weeks i will be looking for a seminary to join. I'm not sure however whether i'm called to be a Diocesan priest or to join a priestly order. I trust that Jesus will guide me and show me the way. My only hurdle is, 'should i tell others my vocation to the priesthood or should i keep silent until im ready? (I have told my family and they greatly support my decision. They still are shocked with my decision , especially my sister)

Today when i was at work, i was telling my friend (who is catholic
) that my uncle will be ordained a priest in a few months. Then for some reason he asked me, "Are you going to be a priest?". I replied, "Why would you ask me something like that?. He then said, "I don't know." I thought this a bit odd, so I gave him the answer to his question, "If God calls me to be a priest, i would gladly accept it." He then turned around and walked away.

What this meant, i have no idea.

Love One Another Magazine
http://www.loveoneanothermagazine.org/
Spread the good news
Old Jun 15, '07, 6:45 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel15 View Post
Hi, my name is Paul, i'm 19 years of age.
For the past month, i have experienced the call to the priesthood.

In the next few weeks i will be looking for a seminary to join. I'm not sure however whether i'm called to be a Diocesan priest or to join a priestly order. I trust that Jesus will guide me and show me the way. My only hurdle is, 'should i tell others my vocation to the priesthood or should i keep silent until im ready? (I have told my family and they greatly support my decision. They still are shocked with my decision , especially my sister)

Today when i was at work, i was telling my friend (who is catholic
) that my uncle will be ordained a priest in a few months. Then for some reason he asked me, "Are you going to be a priest?". I replied, "Why would you ask me something like that?. He then said, "I don't know." I thought this a bit odd, so I gave him the answer to his question, "If God calls me to be a priest, i would gladly accept it." He then turned around and walked away.

What this meant, i have no idea.
Hi there, pawel15!

I'm 21, and starting to consider my vocation. I think I will be doing that for all the next year. I'm now imagining what would it look like if I was to disclose it then.

But I won't be shouting that around. I think that there are some people who can hear I'm thinking about it and then there are some poeple whom I would not tell it unless I'm 100% certain. I think it's absolutely normal. No one has the "right" to know that. I think just as you said that the family would be the hardest nut to crack

Don't worry about your friend - people turned backs on Jesus as well.
Old Jun 15, '07, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel15 View Post
My only hurdle is, 'should i tell others my vocation to the priesthood or should i keep silent until im ready?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemi
I'm now imagining what would it look like if I was to disclose it then.

But I won't be shouting that around. I think that there are some people who can hear I'm thinking about it and then there are some poeple whom I would not tell it unless I'm 100% certain. I think it's absolutely normal. No one has the "right" to know that. I think just as you said that the family would be the hardest nut to crack :Blush:
Paul,

I have been discerning my vocation for almost three years now, and I am still in a similar position. Basically, I have a gradually expanding "circle" of people I have talked about it with -- mostly my spiritual director, other priests, other people who I know are discerning, and a few of my close friends who are Catholic and who I know won't try to discourage me (there are several who probably would, either directly or indirectly). Almost all of the people in this circle are at my college, which is far away from home. Back home, I have discussed it with only three people: my aunt/godmother, the local bishop (who is a family friend) and the vocations director. I have decided not to share it with anyone else back home (i.e., all of my family and friends from high school) until I am 100% certain that I will be entering the seminary. I get a sense that a few of them suspect, but I still am reluctant to "put myself out there" until I am certain.

As zemi said, no one has a "right" to know that unless you are mentally and spiritually prepared to share it with them. Telling someone that you want to enter the priesthood is not the same as telling them "I want to go to law school" or "I want to become a doctor", for it brings with it all sorts of additional expectations and attitudes that you may not be prepared to deal with, and which dealing with now might only distract you from discerning God's true call.
Old Jun 15, '07, 7:57 am

Greetings.

I'm 18, and entering the Seminary of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest this September (God Willing). I have been discerning the Priesthood for almost 2 years now.

http://www.institute-christ-king.org

http://icrsp.com/accueil.htm

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask

In Domino,

http://forum.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=128045
- My Confirmation Thread and pictures

CatholicNick, Vice Dean CSGM
Old Jun 15, '07, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicNick View Post
Greetings.

I'm 18, and entering the Seminary of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest this September (God Willing). I have been discerning the Priesthood for almost 2 years now.

http://www.institute-christ-king.org

http://icrsp.com/accueil.htm

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask

In Domino,
WOW! Looks great! I pray that - Deo volente - you may become a very holy priest.
Old Jun 15, '07, 8:35 am

Hey,

I'm Paul and I am currently discerning the diocesan Priesthood for the Diocese of Knoxville. I'll be a senior in high school this fall. I've been discerning for the past 6 months or so. Hopefully towards the end of the summer and the beginning of the fall I will be able to visit different college level seminaries.
Old Jun 15, '07, 8:39 am

Hey everyone,

My name is Tim, I'm 18, and I'm a brand new college seminarian for the Diocese of Providence, RI. I just graduated high school a week and a half ago. I'll be attending Providence College in the fall and living at Our Lady Of Providence Seminary. Good to see you all here, and God bless!

www.catholicpriest.com

www.dioceseofprovidence.org
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations