Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 15, '07, 12:03 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default The "Punk Priest".... Everything about this just looks horribly wrong...

Everything about this just looks horribly wrong...

(Make sure that your speakers are on for the full assault.)

http://www.thepunkpriest.com/
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:17 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Default Re: The "Punk Priest".... Everything about this just looks horribly wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepanto View Post

I read the responses he gave to questions he was asked., They were all thoughtful, insightful and above all totally in line with the teachings of the Church. As fae as the song playing-I dint like that one even when it is sung correctly.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:28 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998
Default Re: The "Punk Priest".... Everything about this just looks horribly wrong...

I've had aquaintence of people who have actually known and been ministered to by this Priest, they are some very orthodox Catholics and have nothing but good things to say about this holy Priest.
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:33 pm

Is he an Eastern rite priest? I can't tell. He has this whole section on his love of Eastern Catholicism and its traditions:

http://www.thepunkpriest.com/eastern.asp

His heroes are also Eastern:
http://www.thepunkpriest.com/heroes.asp
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:37 pm

Reading the stuff on his site--he seems like a great priest! (oh, I think I figured out he is Roman rite).
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis315 View Post
Reading the stuff on his site--he seems like a great priest! (oh, I think I figured out he is Roman rite).
With respect...are you serious? Is this the kind of image that should be projected about the priesthood? Especially now that the priesthood has been all but discredited in the eyes of many? This guy seems completely self-obsessed and narcissistic.

I think he needs to read this:

http://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/pa...words/cafasso/
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:44 pm
Forum Master

I didn't see any indication where he says he's a Roman Catholic Priest.

I have come across a few people over the years, who belong to religions who claim they are catholic. Their so-called priest dress in traditional Roman Catholic clothing, they have a mass of sorts and from the not so well informed, they would appear to be Roman Catholic. But they're not!

Some support abortion, homosexual life-styles etch.

The bottom line is, beware of what you think is Roman Catholic, for if its too outrageous as the one in the link, its probably not.

Jim
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:47 pm

I haven't read anything on his site yet, so I really can't say anything about him one way or another, but............the song IMHO is terribly disrespectful. They have taken a wonderful and inspiring hymn praising Our Lord, and turned it in to something almost blasphemous. I would definitely agree with that part with the OP. That is just plain wrong, to say the very least distasteful.
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:51 pm

Quote:
With respect...are you serious? Is this the kind of image that should be projected about the priesthood? Especially now that the priesthood has been all but discredited in the eyes of many? This guy seems completely self-obsessed and narcissistic.

I think he needs to read this:

http://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/pa...words/cafasso/
I don't know, he comes from a unique interesting background. He also has excellent things to say on the saints and traditional art and music (granted, my speakers don't work). He seems like a good example of a penitent. He's made more sacrifices most of us would ever make. He explains why he made his website, it doesn't seem self-obsessed. He may reach an audience that wouldn't normally give the truth a chance.

Anyway, if you want to criticize a priest, you should do it to Our Lord and do penance for him, rather than publicly attacking him--or so has said Our Lord to many saints.
Old Jun 15, '07, 12:54 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelynn View Post
I haven't read anything on his site yet, so I really can't say anything about him one way or another, but............the song IMHO is terribly disrespectful. They have taken a wonderful and inspiring hymn praising Our Lord, and turned it in to something almost blasphemous. I would definitely agree with that part with the OP. That is just plain wrong, to say the very least distasteful.
As I said before I think the song, even when sung correctly, is terrible. Perhaos that was the point he was making-at least it wasnt "Morning has Broken"

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Jun 15, '07, 1:00 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

I'd suggest you check with the Diocise before passing final judgment.
Old Jun 15, '07, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage_ar View Post
I'd suggest you check with the Diocise before passing final judgment.
I am free to form my own opinion, thank you.
Old Jun 15, '07, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
I didn't see any indication where he says he's a Roman Catholic Priest.

I have come across a few people over the years, who belong to religions who claim they are catholic. Their so-called priest dress in traditional Roman Catholic clothing, they have a mass of sorts and from the not so well informed, they would appear to be Roman Catholic. But they're not!

Some support abortion, homosexual life-styles etch.

The bottom line is, beware of what you think is Roman Catholic, for if its too outrageous as the one in the link, its probably not.

Jim
Actually if you look about and click the link to his Parish, you'll see the Church is a Roman Catholic Church within a Roman Catholic Diocese.

As for the song on the home page...I thought it was a horrid version.
Old Jun 15, '07, 1:16 pm

Quote:

I bet he will reach many that the more traditional would not. I say way to go, keep it up, help some people move forward and maybe many take their first step in their spiritual journey.
Old Jun 15, '07, 1:24 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Quote:
I am free to form my own opinion, thank you.
Before I say anything less that complimentary about one of God's Holy Ordained, I'll make sure I have facts. Yes, you are free to form an opinion.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments