Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 15, '07, 4:27 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default What is the scripture passage to confess your sins directly to God?

I know that this is a dumb question, and that I could look it up myself, but does anyone know a scripture passage where we are commanded or told to confess our sins directly to God.
I know that there is one to confess to one another, and that the Apostles were given the authority to forgive sins.
I read where Christians say they confess directly to God, where is that passage?
Old Jun 15, '07, 7:07 pm

Religion: Presbyterian
Default Re: What is the scripture passage to confess your sins directly to God?

Quote:
If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
(1 John 1:8-2:2)
Old Jun 15, '07, 7:12 pm

Religion: Presbyterian

Quote:

I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.
(Psalms 32:5)
Old Jun 16, '07, 4:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCarl View Post

I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
I see that in the first passage, David (I assume) said that he confessed to the Lord, and the second passage doesn't say who to confess to, it just says to confess, and God will forgive us.

But neither passage tells us or commands us to confess directly the Lord.

Are there any passages that state very clearly to confess to God directly, like the passage where it directly tells us to confess our sins to one another?

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.
Old Jun 16, '07, 4:44 am

Thank you for your input.
Our God wants all of us to repent, in fact that was the first words of Jesus in the Gospel of Mark: "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the gospel." .

Last edited by Ferdinand Mary; Jun 16, '07 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jun 17, '07, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCarl View Post
2 Samuel 12:13
David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has put away your sin; you shall not die.

Here we see that Nathan confronted David about his sin, and David confessed this sin to Nathan, not directly to God , and it is Nathan than tells David that God forgives him.

Though we see that David confessed directly to God in the Psalm, he was not commanded to so, and in 2 Samuel, David confesses to another person. So David did both, confess to God directly and to others.

My question again is where in the Bible does it command us to confess to God directly.
Old Jun 17, '07, 12:55 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runandsew View Post
I know that this is a dumb question, and that I could look it up myself, but does anyone know a scripture passage where we are commanded or told to confess our sins directly to God.
I know that there is one to confess to one another, and that the Apostles were given the authority to forgive sins.
I read where Christians say they confess directly to God, where is that passage?
Who in the new covenant is the High Priest and Mediator between man and the God of Israel?

Hebrews 8, 9, and 10 gives a good comparison of the High Priest of the old and the High Priest of the new covenant when it came to entering the Holy of Holies to present a sacrifice for atonement of sins.
Old Jun 17, '07, 3:17 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic and loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCarl
Does this say to confess directly to God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCarl
This was before Jesus instituted the sacrament of Confession

Quote:
(Jesus) said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."

John 20:21-23
Why would Jesus have done this if there was no need for his disciples to be mediators instruments for the forgiveness of sin?
And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body. And be thankful. - Colossians 3:15
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture