Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 15, '07, 5:04 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Catholic Exorcism

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering what the Church's stance is on exorcisms and demons. What is the actual Rite of Exorcism, and are there even any performed anymore? I've heard that in recent years, more and more exorcism candidates are being chalked up as mentally unstable or psychologically ill. Also, is there an established position for exorcisms, like a diocesan exorcist? All responses are greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 15, '07, 5:09 pm
Banned

Default Re: Catholic Exorcism

Quote:
Originally Posted by church_child View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering what the Church's stance is on exorcisms and demons. What is the actual Rite of Exorcism, and are there even any performed anymore? I've heard that in recent years, more and more exorcism candidates are being chalked up as mentally unstable or psychologically ill. Also, is there an established position for exorcisms, like a diocesan exorcist? All responses are greatly appreciated.
Exorcisms are certainly still done, but only after all medical avenues are exhausted.

I also believe that it has to have the approval of the Holy See. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Old Jun 15, '07, 5:12 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
Exorcisms are certainly still done, but only after all medical avenues are exhausted.

I also believe that it has to have the approval of the Holy See. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
I believe you are corrrect about exhausting other avenues.

Every diocese has an official exorcist (or knows where to get one).
Old Jun 15, '07, 5:23 pm
Forum Elder

See An Exorcist Tells His Story and An Exorcist - More Stories by Father Gabriele Amorth, the Dhief Exorcist for the Diocese of Rome.
Old Jun 15, '07, 5:35 pm

Every diocese should have an official exorcist. Not all have one though, and that is unfortunate.

Fr. Gabriele Amorth is the senior exorcist of Vatican City. He says that exorcisms are being given less importance and garnering less attention as years go by. Especially as society secularizes and turns to superstition, magic, voodoo, mediums, Satanism, Ouija boards, and things like that to solve paranormal problems.

In his books, An Exorcist and An Exorcist: More Stories, he gives many examples for why exorcisms and demonic possessions should be important topics for Catholics.

I recommend those two books. I've read them. The accounts of exorcisms that he's done in the past are really alarming. It's very good reading. I know that you just can't go and buy any book that someone recommends, but he is an expert on the subject and one of the first people I turn to for information like exorcisms.

It's kind of an issue that some modern day Catholics dismiss as being "un-scientific." They, therefore, turn to medicine and psychology. In most cases, all it is is a medical problem. But after medicine has failed, most people, even Catholics, turn to the wrong people for help (eg witches, shamans, mediums) when they should be turning to exorcists.
Old Jun 15, '07, 8:12 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
Has to be approved by the local bishop.
Old Jun 15, '07, 8:27 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
See An Exorcist Tells His Story and An Exorcist - More Stories by Father Gabriele Amorth, the Dhief Exorcist for the Diocese of Rome.
I second this! Both books are excellent!
Old Jun 15, '07, 10:41 pm

Exorcisms are still done today. In fact their are six or seven full time exorcist in the USA. I believe they form some kind of expertise group that speaks about exorcism.

This is also interesting:

In 1999, Cardinal Medina Estevez presented journalists in Vatican-City the new version of the "Rituale Romanum" that has been used by the Catholic Church since 1614. The updates came after more than 10 years of editing and is called "De exorcismis et supplicationibus quibusdam" otherwise known as "The exorcism for the upcoming millennium". The Pope approbated the new Exorcism Rite, which is now allowed for worldwide use. This new form of exorcism came after the German Bishop-Conference demanded to ultimately abolish the "Rituale Romun".

God speed.

Vigis

Please visit www.ourchristianplace.com.

Verbi divini minister
Old Jun 16, '07, 7:06 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigis View Post
This new form of exorcism came after the German Bishop-Conference demanded to ultimately abolish the "Rituale Romun".
Wht did they want it abolished? Didn't it work successfully for centuries?
Old Jun 17, '07, 2:38 pm

Well I think they wanted to update it for the medical stuff of today just to be sure that it was a case of possession. The German conference has annuonced that some people who were possessed were really not. Such as the case for Anneliese Michel
who I think exibited all of the qualifications of being possessed in that were listed in the Rituale Romanum. We know her as Emily Rose. The movie was based on her story.

God speed.

Vigis

Please visit www.ourchristianplace.com.

Verbi divini minister
Old Jun 18, '07, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoinzan View Post
I second this! Both books are excellent!
I third this, I loved these books!
They really helped me to understand the reality of the spiritual battle, but I think it's a fair point to mention that although there are evil spirits, and we should be aware of their plans that we might "fight the good fight", I do know people (good Catholics) who just give the demonic stuff way too much attention!
I believe the devil can twist good stuff, like these great books, to make people be afraid of him (that's if you don't fully understand that God is bigger than all that stuff).
As St. Pio said "Fear is a greater evil than evil itself!
"For people who have this frame of mind I would not encourage them to read these books.

Here's another question: What's the diffrence between the ministry of Exorcism and Deliverence Ministry? I've heard of lay people who claim to be involved in Deliverence ministry!
As someone already said, I thought only an appointed ordained Priest could "deliver" someone from evil spirits!?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics