Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 26, '04, 7:10 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Messages from "seers"

Hi,
Do any of you read or follow the purported messages from any of the numerous "seers" that are out there? I'm curious as to what any of you think of them. Thanks
Old Sep 26, '04, 9:04 pm
Banned

Default Re: Messages from "seers"

Those unfortunate souls who are paid for talking to the dead are fakers.

It is Biblical, do not contact fortune tellers. ( sorry I don't have the verse at my finger tips)

Don,t waste your money, and don't sin by doing it.
Old Sep 26, '04, 10:31 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

[PHP][/PHP]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exporter
Those unfortunate souls who are paid for talking to the dead are fakers.

It is Biblical, do not contact fortune tellers. ( sorry I don't have the verse at my finger tips)

Don,t waste your money, and don't sin by doing it.
In Catholicism a "seer" can also be a saint like St. Bernadette Soubirou who saw Our Lady of Lourdes, or Lucia Dos Santos who saw Our Lady of Fatima, etc, etc.

Antonio
Old Sep 27, '04, 7:34 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Test the spirits, as St. Ignatius of Loyola would have us do.

http://www.greatcrusade.org
Old Sep 27, '04, 7:34 am

Send a message via MSN to FightingFat

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons1 Timothy 4

I am very interested in anything 'spiritual' so I do pay attention to reports of spiritualists and mediums, but I would never, ever take part or condone what they do.
There's a tv program in England called Most Haunted which is very interesting. If nothing else, if shows us that there is more there than we are aware of. I also have a lovely friend who is clairvoyant. He doesn't 'do it' but is very sensitive and is 'contacted' by spirits. He feels he can help them, by guiding them to 'the light'. He says that some of them do not know they are dead and need to be shown to the light.
I don't know about that stuff, but it is quite like a confirmation of what we believe. I find it very easy to align what I believe with stories he tells me.
I find that a lot easier to deal with and understand than the House of Prayer on Achill in Mayo, Eire where Christina Gallagher is acting as a Seer right now. She claims that she is receiving messages from our lady. What do you think? Seer? Or is she just selling the faith?

Last edited by Paul Stephens; Sep 28, '04 at 7:21 am.
Old Sep 27, '04, 9:44 am

Yes, Christina Gallegher would be one of those people I referred to who supposedly receive messages from the Blessed Mother and from Jesus. there's been alot of them lately - I was just wondering what everyone else thought.
Old Sep 27, '04, 11:04 am

Religion: Protestant-closet Catholic

This Christina Gallagher sounds a lot like Veronica Lueken (the seer of Bayside, NY), who I was told was considered apostate by the Catholic Church.

Missa
Old Sep 27, '04, 2:57 pm

Send a message via MSN to FightingFat

Something about Christina Gallagher scares me, I don't know why- her visions seem to spend a lot of time telling her how great she is to put up with everyone questioning her.

I kind of believe that the church teaches that there will be no more revelation- right?

Stuff like Lourdes is different. Our lady asks us to pray and to come in procession. She does not prophecy the future.

Who else can we talk about? Give us some examples to discuss!
Old Sep 28, '04, 4:57 am

Religion: Protestant-closet Catholic

"Something about Christina Gallagher scares me, I don't know why- her visions seem to spend a lot of time telling her how great she is to put up with everyone questioning her."

I'm telling you - this sounds like Veronica Lueken - and they talk a lot about so much gloom and doom - Ms. Lueken's big thing was "The Great Chastisement" - and if you read this stuff it will scare you to death! But a lot of the "gloom and doom" sounds very similar to the "Left Behind" books......

I wouldn't question Fatima or Lourdes - they have too much credibility, in my opinion. Fatima is actually what began leading me to the Catholic Church. But even Medjugorje isn't considered "authentic" by the Church, at least not yet.

Just my -

Missa
Old Sep 29, '04, 10:00 pm

Some other more famous "seers" are Carol Ameche and John Leary. there are others too but these 2 have been around for quite awhile. Just curious if anyone else had heard of them and their messages.
Old Sep 29, '04, 10:04 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

I wouldn't walk across the street to listen to a supposed seer relate tales of her visions and locutions unless and until the local bishop published his judgement that the visions were valid, the messages do not contradict church teaching and are of value to the faithful. If you want to hear messages from God so badly I suggest you pick up a bible and quit wasting your time.
Old Sep 29, '04, 10:13 pm

My default opinion is that they are all frauds. My back-up position is that they are all crazy.
Old Feb 5, '05, 7:41 am
Resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ1952
Yes, Christina Gallegher would be one of those people I referred to who supposedly receive messages from the Blessed Mother and from Jesus. there's been alot of them lately - I was just wondering what everyone else thought.
Having met the lady on about three occasions I find her to be a genuine person.

But as always she is still under investigation, is she a fraud ? I don't know, and I never will say she is true or false, I'll leave that to the Church.
She was supposed to be in New York with someone by the name of Dan Lynch I think before the towers fell.
She said if people didn't change then those towers wouldn't be there next year.
A fat lot of good I hear bellowing in my ears, Christina says it's her duty to pray for those souls, not to stop the inevitable, just like in Iran when a devastating earthquake killed 5'000 aprox:
At the minute Christin'as stigmata has re-occured, is it demonic ? again I don't know.

Ok please don't be offended by anything I'm writing (USA) I'm just passing on the information.

Christina is the only seer that I have heard to mention the Axis, way back I think in 2002, now all of a sudden we have other seers mentioning the Axis.
It would be a bit more believable if these prophets would predict the future before it happens, instead of after.

Now I'm hearing that the earth's axis has shifted by 2 degrees after the tsunami.
As I posted in previous posts, and in the Medjugorje thread, (it seems to have dissappeared) obedience is one of the first signs to look for.
Christina has been transparent, she is under a Spiritual director, Fr, Gerald Mc'Ginnity, Christina has been obedient to the local Bishop, she has submitted to everything he has asked.
There have been healings through the Matrix medal, an Anglican came from England with a badly damaged spine, he cried when he came face to face with Christina.
Now his walking stick is hanging up in the house of prayer, I saw it with my own eyes.
Christina has said that she bilocates, I can't argue with that, as I don't know.
Oh (Fighting Fat) don't get caught up in the "these people direct people towards the light", it's forbidden to contact the dead, I believe these people are contacting demons.
I know there are trapped souls as some call it over here, my friend that was shot dead over here was said to have linked two of his buddies one night.
Another woman said she saw him near his sisters house one night, so the Priest went to the spots to as it were help him, as they say a murder never lies.

Anyway like I said up above, Christina is still under investigation, so is Medjugorje, and we can all form personal opinons as to the truth of them.
But in the end it's up th othe Church to have the final say as to the reality of some claims, true or false.
Profuse bleeding from the wounds on Christina's feet 11th. March 1995, during an all-night
vigil of prayer; recurred Good Friday 1995.

Old Feb 5, '05, 6:32 pm
Resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennstall
My default opinion is that they are all frauds. My back-up position is that they are all crazy.
Doe's that include Fatima & Lourdes ?
Old Feb 5, '05, 6:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ1952
Some other more famous "seers" are Carol Ameche and John Leary. there are others too but these 2 have been around for quite awhile. Just curious if anyone else had heard of them and their messages.
Both of these people are fake seers. Even if it is true that both are sincere Catholics, John Leary at the very least is not receiving messages from the Lord.

There are many problems with his messages, and they have been called into question by the Bishop of his Archdiocese. From my own point of view, and I have seen quite a few of his messages, I do think that he has a tendency to be hysterical. Plus some of what he claims to have received is written on other End Times Fundamentalist web sites. He is too concerned about whether or not a church has altar rails and quite frankly I do not think that Jesus would be going around making those kind of comments.

From the point of view of someone who does not live in the United States I really have no time for those who claim to have messages that are only about the United States politics.

Maggie

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence