Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 20, '07, 2:05 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: well, why am I here? Certainly not to argue ^_^
Default Re: Female Altar Servers

I'm female, and I was an Alter server for two years.I see no difference.If girls want to serve on God's Alter, they should DEFINITELY be allowed.God loves girls just as much as boys, and they should have equel oppurtnity to serve Him.

Galations 3:28- 'There is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.'

That means that EVERYONE should be allowed to serve Jesus.

Please remember to pray for everyone in the whole world.
Old Jun 20, '07, 2:07 am
Greeter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to jaaraf
Cool Re: Female Altar Servers

Thank you for the article link Scylla, pretty much clears things up.
Now I'm glad my younger sister chose to go to a public science high school instead of my exclusive girl's school alma mater where they recently have an altar server's club!
At least, I haven't seen anything like that in the parishes here in our country... well not yet anyway.
I'm praying that the order of nuns who run my alma mater can see the light!
Old Jun 20, '07, 2:46 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeliumtrozzle View Post
I'm female, and I was an Alter server for two years.I see no difference.If girls want to serve on God's Alter, they should DEFINITELY be allowed.God loves girls just as much as boys, and they should have equel oppurtnity to serve Him.

Galations 3:28- 'There is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.'

That means that EVERYONE should be allowed to serve Jesus.
Yes, we are all equal in God's eyes. But men have special roles which women should not perform and women have special roles that men cannot perform. If men were real men, they would not allow females to take their roles. A female should not challenge a male because God gave men authority over women. But a man should love/treat a women like he loves/treats himself.

The world is going upside down , where women want to become priests, dominate politics, have the right to choose whether their child should live or die. Women think it more important to have a career than to have children. (this is a culture of death)

The world is losing meaning in everything it does because wherever God is absent, the devil rules. The devil wants men to lose their muculine characteristics.

God give all of you peace and special blessings and may the Holy Spirit give all of you the courage to do God's will and not your own.

Love One Another Magazine
http://www.loveoneanothermagazine.org/
Spread the good news
Old Jun 20, '07, 2:50 am
Banned

Religion: ROman Catholic

I was there when it was all boys.....there were over 60 of us in the "corps". Each year the boys were instituted into a confraternity and given the speech by the priest as to the SOLE reason for altar boys was to lead them towards a consideration for the priesthood. There was definately a connection with the priesthood..at least for me and my freinds. My parish at the time had two boys considering the vocation (seniors in high school) that left the ranks the very day the girls showed up. This was at my childhood parish. Now at this parish there is only ONE male altar server and he is brand new in 4th grade. Each year the knights of Columbus took the Altar boys to a pro baseball game. One of the mothers of the girls complained that it wasn't appropriate for girls to be forced to go to a game.....so that very long tradition was killed too. People need to investigate the history of the tradition and meaning of Altar boy and the reason for the popes extreme reluctance to "allow" them. It was certainly an agenda driven "lobby" behind the push for Altar Girls.
Old Jun 20, '07, 4:01 am

My parish at the time had two boys considering the vocation (seniors in high school) that left the ranks the very day the girls showed up.

When I think of the adversities of some saints who became priests, I really don't think a few girls showing up would be that big of a deal for someone with a strong conviction. It is my understanding that a pastor decides who may serve in his parish. If those boys had a desire to become a priest, perhaps they could have someday instructed their parishes of what they believe to be true catholic doctrine.

I see so many examples of boys not being put off by girls, chess club, elective honors courses, in fact when a girl wanted to play travel soccer on the boys team, and was one of the best players on the team, not one boy quit. If a boy really wants to do something no one person will keep him from it.

I have talked to so many priests about this topic. Never once has one of them said they mind female servers. The most I could get was if there were limited spots and there were enough boys, the boys should get the spots. By the way the priest that told me that also told me it shouldn't be a problem to have more than two servers at any given Mass; anyone who wants to serve should be invited.
Old Jun 20, '07, 4:58 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Women and men ARE equal! But, we are NOT the same. And I don't just mean biologically, our very souls are Male and Female, God created us that way for a purpose! We both reflect very different -but equally important- parts of God

Men are built differently and think differently from women, and Men need other Men to lead then into the ways of Mature Manhood. On every leve, but ESPECIALLY on the spiritual level. Being an Alter Server in the past was like a "right of passage"; a masculine activity that led young men into the closeness to the liturgy that was reserved only for Holy Orders. Just like the little girl who plays "babies" with her dolls or "baking" with her modeling clay, this role of Alter serving was a step to help young men be formed in the ways of Priesthood.
It's an awful pity that young men no longer see this role as being "Masculine". It has removed the desire to be involved for many, in hope of finding something more "Masculine" somewhere else. The alters in our Diocese don't have many young men; just very small boys and lots and lots of older girls. We also are very short on vocations! It seems that dioceses that have only male alter servers do not have quite the same problem.
Old Jun 20, '07, 5:31 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
Women and men ARE equal! But, we are NOT the same. And I don't just mean biologically, our very souls are Male and Female, God created us that way for a purpose! We both reflect very different -but equally important- parts of God

Men are built differently and think differently from women, and Men need other Men to lead then into the ways of Mature Manhood. On every leve, but ESPECIALLY on the spiritual level. Being an Alter Server in the past was like a "right of passage"; a masculine activity that led young men into the closeness to the liturgy that was reserved only for Holy Orders. Just like the little girl who plays "babies" with her dolls or "baking" with her modeling clay, this role of Alter serving was a step to help young men be formed in the ways of Priesthood.
It's an awful pity that young men no longer see this role as being "Masculine". It has removed the desire to be involved for many, in hope of finding something more "Masculine" somewhere else. The alters in our Diocese don't have many young men; just very small boys and lots and lots of older girls. We also are very short on vocations! It seems that dioceses that have only male alter servers do not have quite the same problem.
Next time I want to say somthing I am just going to have you write it....very well said. I wish I could have said it that well but you read my mind on this topic. This whole thing about changing the "roles" of men and women and boys and girls is nothing more than Deconstructionism or an attempt of it.
Old Jun 20, '07, 7:30 am

My church has female altar servers. I had no clue this is such a debatable topic. So much conflict within the Church lies in supposed gender roles.
Old Jun 20, '07, 7:48 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by THurifer2 View Post
I was there when it was all boys.....there were over 60 of us in the "corps". Each year the boys were instituted into a confraternity and given the speech by the priest as to the SOLE reason for altar boys was to lead them towards a consideration for the priesthood. .
That is exactly how my parish is NOW.

We have about 70 altar BOYS. Before each Mass, Father leads them in a prayer asking for enlightenment on a vocation to the priesthood.

And it's working too.

Out of a parish of about 800 families, we have 6 men in the Seminiary right now, and have had 6 other men from our parish Ordained to the priesthood in the last 10 years.
Old Jun 20, '07, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemyfaith View Post
My parish at the time had two boys considering the vocation (seniors in high school) that left the ranks the very day the girls showed up.

When I think of the adversities of some saints who became priests, I really don't think a few girls showing up would be that big of a deal for someone with a strong conviction. It is my understanding that a pastor decides who may serve in his parish. If those boys had a desire to become a priest, perhaps they could have someday instructed their parishes of what they believe to be true catholic doctrine.

I see so many examples of boys not being put off by girls, chess club, elective honors courses, in fact when a girl wanted to play travel soccer on the boys team, and was one of the best players on the team, not one boy quit. If a boy really wants to do something no one person will keep him from it.

I have talked to so many priests about this topic. Never once has one of them said they mind female servers. The most I could get was if there were limited spots and there were enough boys, the boys should get the spots. By the way the priest that told me that also told me it shouldn't be a problem to have more than two servers at any given Mass; anyone who wants to serve should be invited.
I've been re-thinking this issue a lot lately. We attend the Cathedral parish in our Archdiocese. Our pastor prefers boys as servers, however we have only one boy at the present time who serves and he is only 8 years old. There is one 14 year old girl who serves, but only occasionally. Many Sunday Masses have no one to serve.

Would it be better to not have any servers, or under these conditions should girls be allowed to step up to the plate? My 10 year old daughter has expressed a desire to serve for a couple of years now. Up until now I have discouraged her from doing so, but even at a parish like mine, which is very traditional and does not routinely use girls, the boys aren't interested. Perhaps they are over-scheduled in sports, etc. and altar serving is not interesting enough for them.

I agree with the above poster about boys not being "put off" by girls in regards to other activities. I haven't heard of many, or any, boys abandoning their chess clubs, debate teams, science clubs, etc. because a girl joined the team.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I stand on this issue anymore. Maybe, if the MP comes through we can all go back to the Tridentine Mass and not have to worry about this issue, or the other issues about lay involvement during Mass.

"The only tragedy in life is not to be a saint." Leon Bloy.
Old Jun 20, '07, 8:37 am

Religion: Catholic (typical hardcore papist)

We have zero vocations to the priesthood, altar girls and a female administrator. The last vocation was my brother, he served when only boys served and when we had a good orthodox priest. This was many years ago.

There recently was a vocations retreat, but since it was only for boys seeking the priesthood there was no mention of it and no fliers distributed in my parish even though they were available.
The response from the female administrator actually was quite hostile when the vocations retreat was mentioned, as she is promoting female priests.
Yes, there are some exceptions, yet the most vocations come from those parishes which teach and promote obedient Catholicism.

The reasons behind the desire for female altar servers is quite clear, the proponents want a blurring of the lines between the sexes so eventually they will have female priests. It is not a desire for humility but a selfish desire of pride.

Yes, people have received permission to allow altar girls, many nice, good girls have served not knowing the agenda behind the movement.

God Bless
Scylla
1 Timothy 3:15
Old Jun 20, '07, 8:43 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Matthew 16:18
Send a message via AIM to PatienceAndLove Send a message via MSN to PatienceAndLove Send a message via Yahoo to PatienceAndLove

Here's the answer!!!
http://te-deum.blogspot.com/search/label/Altar%20Boys

Old Jun 20, '07, 9:13 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
I visited that website and almost started crying. OH MY how wonderful those boys look with thier cassocks ans surplices...they look like mini-priests and they look so dignified and serious of their task.
Old Jun 20, '07, 9:21 am

When I first saw little girls serving at the altar, I thought it was a lovely thing. As a choir member, I am very grateful for the opportunity to be so close to the saying of the Mass and now that our choir is taking a (much-needed) summer break, I miss the intensity of it.
Who knows what these girl altar servers may be inspired to do in their later years as a result of being so very close to the Mass. They may become saints for all we know.
Old Jun 20, '07, 9:31 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by THurifer2 View Post
I visited that website and almost started crying. OH MY how wonderful those boys look with thier cassocks ans surplices...they look like mini-priests and they look so dignified and serious of their task.
Our parish looks pretty much the same

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments