Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 27, '07, 1:10 am

Religion: Catholic
Default why is it ok for us to eat pork?

Hello, I was curious, if God said in the bible that the pig and some other animals are unclean for us to eat, why do we?

-Jessica
Old Jun 27, '07, 1:16 am

Default Re: why is it ok for us to eat pork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaJB View Post
Hello, I was curious, if God said in the bible that the pig and some other animals are unclean for us to eat, why do we?

-Jessica
The Old Testament Rules and Regulations all pointed to a higher truth that was to be fulfilled when Christ came. In regards to food restrictions here is what was revealed in the New Testament:
14Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. 15Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.' " 17After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. 18"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? 19For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

20He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' 21For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' " - Mark 7
There are similar passages like this in other parts of the New Testament as well.
Old Jun 27, '07, 1:18 am

Mark 7:18 And He said to them, "Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him; because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?" (Thus He declared all foods clean.) [NASB]

There is no god but God, and Jesus is His Son.
Old Jun 27, '07, 5:07 pm

Quote:
9The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance 11and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. 12In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. 13And there came a voice to him: "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." 14But Peter said, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." 15And the voice came to him again a second time, "What God has made clean, do not call common." 16This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven. - Acts 10:9-16
and...

Quote:
1But some men came down from Judea and were teaching the brothers, "Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved." 2And after Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and debate with them, Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question....

22Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them and send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. They sent Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brothers, 23with the following letter: "The brothers, both the apostles and the elders, to the brothers who are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia, greetings. 24Since we have heard that some persons have gone out from us and troubled you with words, unsettling your minds, although we gave them no instructions, 25it has seemed good to us, having come to one accord, to choose men and send them to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26men who have risked their lives for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will tell you the same things by word of mouth. 28For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: 29that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell." - Acts 15:1,22-29
Paul
Old Jun 27, '07, 5:22 pm

Religion: Hellenic Neopagan Unitarian Universalist (polytheist)

Quote:
Because you are not Jews.
Old Jun 28, '07, 10:28 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian 1ST Independant Baptist 2ND

Quote:

-Jessica
Its so good
Old Jun 28, '07, 10:42 pm

Religion: NONE

Quote:

-Jessica
Act 10:12
Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

Act 10:13
And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Act 10:14
But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

Act 10:15
And the voice [spake] unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, [that] call not thou common.

1Ti 4:4
For every creature of God [is] good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

1Ti 4:5
For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
Jesus = Living Bread = Flesh (Jn 6:51)
Flesh = Meat (Jn 6:55)
Meat = Work of God (Jn 6:27, 4:34)
Work of God = Believe on Jesus (Jn 6:28-29)
Believe on Jesus = Have everlasting life (Jn 6:40)
Old Jun 28, '07, 11:00 pm

Quote:

-Jessica
Cause they're made out of meat.
Old Jun 28, '07, 11:40 pm

Quote:

-Jessica
When you take things out of context like this, and assume that every action by every person described in the Bible is a direct command for everyone of all times and places on earth, you make a very unfounded assumption.

If you take this to its logical conclusion, you can say some weird things like we must all sacrifice our son because God told Abraham to do that, but most people (hopefully!) know from context that this command was addressed only to Abraham in that one specific instance. In a similar vein, must we all make a giant ark and stick 2 of every kind of animal on it??

You should know that the command to abstain from pork, while most definitely from God, was only addressed to the Jewish people.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions