Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 11, '07, 7:38 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Reconciliation in the Bible

My sister has fallen away from the Catholic church and claims that one reason is because she doesn't feel the need to go to Confession to a Priest. She says that we should just be able to ask God directly for forgiveness and that a Priest has no right or reason to hear our sins. I know that the sacrement of Reconciliation can be found in the Bible, but I'm not sure where. Can anyone tell me why we, as Catholics, participate in the Sacrement of Reconciliation? Thanks!
Old Jul 11, '07, 7:57 pm
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Reconciliation in the Bible

I explain confession in the following way. Credit goes to John Martignoni for much of this.

The reason we go to confession is because God wants us to. Let me explain.

In the book of Genesis we read all about the fall of Adam and Eve and about Cain killing Able. While God knew exactly what had happened and what sins had been committed, God still asks Adam and Eve [see Gen 3:11-14] what they had done. Again, when Cain kills Able in Gen 4:10, God asks Cain "What have you done?" God wants us to confess and it is therefore necessary for us to do so.

So where does the priest fit in? In Leviticus 5:5-6 we have a solid prefiguring/foreshadowing of confession and this is carried over into the New Covenant. In Lev. 5:5-6 it says, "When a man is guilty in any of these, he shall confess the sin he has committed, and he shall bring his guilt offering to the Lord for the sin which he has committed, a female from the flock, a lamb or a goat, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make atonement for him for his sin." Note how the penitent must confess and take his sin offering to the priest, and the priest shall make atonement for him for his sin. This requires knowledge of the sin on the part of the priest.

In the New Testament we have a number of verses that refer to the authority to forgive sins. In Matthew 9:6-8, we read "But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--he then said to the paralytic --"Rise, take up your bed and go home." And he rose and went home. When the crowds saw it, they were afraid, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men." Notice how scripture says that such authority had been given to men. This is significant and is not merely a coincidence. This is the inspired word of God.

The question of authority and power to forgive sin is given obviously to Jesus and this is further affirmed in Matthew 28:18 where we are told, "And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."

So just how is this authority transfered to the apostles and their successors? In John 20:21-23 "Jesus said to them, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." This is an incredible set of verses. They are rich in meaning and power. Notice that Jesus sends the apostles in the same way that the Father sent Him. The Father sent Jesus with all power and authority which included the power to forgive sins. So also Jesus sends the apostles. Jesus breathes on the apostles and says, "receive the Holy Spirit." There is only one other time in all of scripture where God breathes on man, and that is in Genesis when God breathes life into Adam. This is a significant moment in the upper room and it is at this moment that Jesus says, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven: if you retain the sins of any they are retained."

Later in the new testament scriptures we find additional verses that speak to confession and reconciliation. The most significant are the following:

2 Corinthians 5: 17-20
Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We beseech you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

James 5:14-15
Is any among you sick? Let him call for the presbyters [priests] of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. (“presbyter” is the root word from which we get the term priest)

James 5:16
Therefore confess you sins to one another….

Matthew 18:18
Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (In Jewish culture and faith the power to bind and loose carries a juridical dimension and has application to the forgiveness of sin)
Old Jul 11, '07, 8:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Reconciliation in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartJesus View Post
My sister has fallen away from the Catholic church and claims that one reason is because she doesn't feel the need to go to Confession to a Priest. She says that we should just be able to ask God directly for forgiveness and that a Priest has no right or reason to hear our sins. I know that the sacrement of Reconciliation can be found in the Bible, but I'm not sure where. Can anyone tell me why we, as Catholics, participate in the Sacrement of Reconciliation? Thanks!
She and a lot of others want to believe "we should just be able" to do a lot of things, but that does not mean we can. But a believer can make a perfect act of contrition to God alone and be forgiven. But at the same time Jesus provided for the forgivness of sins of believers when he commissioned Apostles in John 20:21-23 by telling them, 21"As the Father has sent me, so I send you, (Apostles means "Sent" ones). 22Then He breathed on them and said: Recieve the Holy Spirit. If you forgive men's sins, they are forgiven them; if you hold them bound they are held bound".

Notice where the gospel says, "then He breathed on them". There are very few references in scripture where God breathed on men, and all of them were most significant events. The first is when He breathed life into Adam. Please be sure your sister understands that throughout the New Testament there are references to forgivness in the Church Jesus established on earth, and we have His word that His apostles, and their successors have been given that authority by Jesus Himself. If she doesn't want to avail herself of that sacrament, that is her choice, but He made it available for her and the rest of us.

Peace
If we begin our thinking with loving and our arguing with praying, if we bend our knees before we bend our tongue, then when we tell them of Christ, we will also be showing them Christ. (Peter Kreeft)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics