Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 13, '07, 4:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Ghost Hunting

I can't seem to get an answer from modern Catholics, so I will seek the Traditional Catholics, by asking them, is it alright for a Catholic, to perform Ghost Hunt investigations. I have done this as a hobby for a few years now, with great respect and reverence towards the dead, and I have even been successful at it.
Old Jul 13, '07, 4:47 am

Default Re: Ghost Hunting

Ive seen some of these programs on the television... these 'ghosts' could very well be demons.

Trying to contact and speak to the dead is sinful also. I don't know exactly what you do, so I am not implying you do this.

http://forum.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=128045
- My Confirmation Thread and pictures

CatholicNick, Vice Dean CSGM
Old Jul 13, '07, 5:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost8108 View Post
I can't seem to get an answer from modern Catholics, so I will seek the Traditional Catholics, by asking them, is it alright for a Catholic, to perform Ghost Hunt investigations. I have done this as a hobby for a few years now, with great respect and reverence towards the dead, and I have even been successful at it.
Have you talked to a priest about this? It is not advisable to try to commune with spirits. If that's what you are doing, you are putting yourself at spiritual risk.
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Jul 13, '07, 5:47 am
Banned

Religion: ROman Catholic

When People die they have potentially 3 intitial and two definite final destinations. Heaven, Hell or purgatory. Unless you can somehow travel to heaven, hell or purgatory then you are not going to see any ghosts. Aunt tillie isn't still making that rocking chair rock at night...cause she is either in hell, heaven or purgatory.

However at the will of God...a demon can make the rocking chair rock and impersonate aunt tillie. With that in mind Ghost hunting is not a good thing.
Old Jul 13, '07, 6:42 am

Send a message via MSN to Dirk Skene

There is nothing in Christian teaching to suggest the commonly held concept of ghosts. Like another poster aluded to, they could very well be, & probably are, demons trying to spark our intrest in the unknown. Personally I'd stay away from the whole thing.
Old Jul 13, '07, 7:03 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Well I suppose the question begs to be asked how exactly you go about this. The Church forbids any kind of mediums or the like, because there is a chance that they could be contacting demons (although I don't doubt that $90 of these mediums and psychics are there to scam you out of your money, like that John Edwards guy on TV).

I too have seen some of those ghost-hunting programs on TV, and there is a chance that they could in fact be contacting demons, and it is also apparent in some of these shows that the "ghosts" are pure rubbish.

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity; therefore I die in exile.
Pope St. Gregory VII (11th century)

Novena for the Intercession and Canonization of
Blessed Emperor Karl of Austria
Old Jul 13, '07, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicNick View Post
Trying to contact and speak to the dead is sinful also.
Well, sometime I ask some of my dead relatives and friends to pray for me, and sometimes I say that aloud. I guess that now I have to go to confession.
Old Jul 13, '07, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Well, sometime I ask some of my dead relatives and friends to pray for me, and sometimes I say that aloud. I guess that now I have to go to confession.
No. You don't.

You were not trying to talk/contact or engage in actual conversation with your dead relatives, you were asking them to intercede for you. No sin at all.

Taking and trying to contact the dead (i.e. a 2 way conversation) is wrong and sinful. One example would be like Caesar said, mediums and the like.

Intercession is not the same, at all, on many levels... Remember, Saints both s and S, are not dead at all.

http://forum.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=128045
- My Confirmation Thread and pictures

CatholicNick, Vice Dean CSGM
Old Jul 13, '07, 9:46 am
Book Club Member

Also, you want to be careful not to get into some of the more arcane practices involved with "Ghost-Hunting", such as Spiritualism (besides being a dangerous and possibly demonic feild of study, Spiritualism is also a load of rubbish- ectoplasm? give me a break ).

Furthermore, I am not sure if the common idea of a ghost (that is, the soul/spirit of a deceased person wandering the earth) is compatible with Catholic belief. Personal judgment takes place at the moment of death. Although there have, of course, been cases of the saints in Heaven appearing to people on Earth- by the power of God- however there is no case of, or any reason for, the Saints to wander around and make light bulbs blink or tables shake, or the like- so in such cases the "spirit" in question would be demonic.

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity; therefore I die in exile.
Pope St. Gregory VII (11th century)

Novena for the Intercession and Canonization of
Blessed Emperor Karl of Austria
Old Jul 13, '07, 10:55 am

Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Jul 13, '07, 11:30 am
Veteran Member

I don't self-identify as a Traditionalist (I'm just a Catholic), but my advice would be to FLEE from this or anything like it. Don't even watch TV shows about it (John Edwards et al).
Old Jul 13, '07, 12:03 pm

Quote:
My husband and I belong to a group. We haven't gone on that many investigations though. We look for faulty electrical wiring and electrical boxes, locations of heating vents, loose floorboards, drafty windows and we even check to see if floors are level. We look for any natural causes. We rule such things out first. We take pictures and use audio recorders. We don't use "psychics" or "mediums". I don't see that harm in such types of investigations, however itt IS dangerous to mess with ouija boards, or any other occult objects.

I have checked several Catholic websites, and haven't gotten a real clear answer either. I guess the type of investigation we do would not be any different than if we were investigating the same situation in our own house, if unexplained things were happening.
After an investigation, we review all of the video and audio. Usually, anomalies in a video can be easily explained.
Two of us in the group are Catholic, several are Christians of the Protestant persuasion.. Several, I don't know. I always prepare myself with the prayer - in particular the St. Michael prayer - and I carry a blessed rosary. I have never had any type of paranormal experiences. My husband and several others in the group have. I admit to being a skeptic, but have had several reports of incidents from unrelated sources which convince me these things may be possible. If there is a priest on the board who can address this, it would be great. We don't want to be doing anything that is against Church teaching.

Blessings,
sneakers
Old Jul 13, '07, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
My husband and I belong to a group. We haven't gone on that many investigations though. We look for faulty electrical wiring and electrical boxes, locations of heating vents, loose floorboards, drafty windows and we even check to see if floors are level. We look for any natural causes. We rule such things out first. We take pictures and use audio recorders. We don't use "psychics" or "mediums". I don't see that harm in such types of investigations, however itt IS dangerous to mess with ouija boards, or any other occult objects.

I have checked several Catholic websites, and haven't gotten a real clear answer either. I guess the type of investigation we do would not be any different than if we were investigating the same situation in our own house, if unexplained things were happening.
After an investigation, we review all of the video and audio. Usually, anomalies in a video can be easily explained.
Two of us in the group are Catholic, several are Christians of the Protestant persuasion.. Several, I don't know. I always prepare myself with the prayer - in particular the St. Michael prayer - and I carry a blessed rosary. I have never had any type of paranormal experiences. My husband and several others in the group have. I admit to being a skeptic, but have had several reports of incidents from unrelated sources which convince me these things may be possible. If there is a priest on the board who can address this, it would be great. We don't want to be doing anything that is against Church teaching.

Blessings,
sneakers
Would you go in a normal house to look for those normal phenomena? From your post I doubt it, so my understanding is that you are looking for paranormal effects even if you are not using a oujia board or a 'professional medium".

That is trying to get in touch with non human or live beings and that is contrary to the Church teachings. The risk that you take with or without a "medium" is the same, you are really inviting beings to contact you and that can be a real can of worms.
Old Jul 13, '07, 3:22 pm

My opinion
Old Jul 14, '07, 12:40 am
Banned

Quote:
It is no sin to investigate curious phenomena, such as claims of ghosts. However most investigations of ghosts are of poor quality and of no scientific interest, and it is a sin, though a very minor one, to persuade yourself that you are some sort of expert when you aren't.

More seriously, the paranormal is often attended with a great deal of magical thought, and self-delusion. Magic is the attempt to manipulate spiritual powers rather than to show them honour. It is often rather disguised as therapy or self-help, or as experimentation. The self-delusion is when a person persuades himself that he has effected a magical operation when in fact he hasn't. It is very easy to get sucked into that way of thinking, and such people are easy prey for charlatans - people who may or may not believe in magic, but know how to simulate it to get material benefits.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence