Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 16, '07, 3:34 am

Religion: catholic
Default Jesus heals soldiers ear

When reading scripture, it amazes me that Jesus could heal the ear of the soldier and not have them be taken back....If I was to arrest someone of pretending to be the messiah and he healed my cut off ear, I would be on my knees!! One person's opinion is below and it makes me wonder how anyone could not of seen he was if not the son of God, someone very special and not a criminal. Any comments after reading it? Did it seem odd to any of you that seeing a "miracle" was so ignored?

"Of course, being the man of compassion that He was, Jesus certainly saw this soldier suffering and in agony from such a brutal wound. Even though the soldier was a 'bad guy', the love and compassion of Jesus reached beyond what the man was doing to the fact that he was hurting and needed healing.

When I was a child, I could not understand why Jesus would help someone who was there with the intention of hurting Him. I knew I could never be as loving and forgiving as Jesus and was not certain I wanted to try. As an adult, I am thankful for the grace and mercy He extends to me when I am the bad guy.

There was another man impacted by Jesus' action. Jesus courageously rescued Peter that night. There Peter stood, bloody weapon in his hand, somewhat frustrated that he had missed his mark the soldier's head. Yet, his pride was perhaps somewhat pacified by the fact that he had made a notable statement of his allegiance to the Lord. He was more than willing to fight to protect Jesus.

In the moment between landing the blow and Jesus restoring the ear, Peter realized the consequences he would have to pay for that action. He probably saw what Jesus did for him the instant it happened. When Jesus healed the soldier's ear, the evidence that would have supported prosecution for the attempted murder of an officer of the law vanished. There would be no argument in court against Peter regarding that incident. He was acquitted before he was accused!"
Old Jul 16, '07, 4:33 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jesus heals soldiers ear

One thing that comes immediately to my mind is that sin blinds us. We can see this in even in the world today, turn on the TV during prime time and see how many sitcoms and commercials have sexual innuendos. Fifty years ago no one would have seen such items on TV, but now we have gradually built up to the current state of affairs (frog in boiling water syndrom.) The other thing I can think of is the crowd mentality. Since the others were there to take Jesus away, he was going to to likewise no matter what happened. I wonder how many people screamed for the death of Jesus just because everyone else was doing it.

~Blessed Luigi Orione
Old Jul 16, '07, 4:39 am

I understand about the crowd mentality, so many people will go along with something, "because everyone else is", but usually it's a thought like "sleeping together before marriage" being pro-choice, etc. not actually seeing an ear healed before your eyes.
Maybe the shock of it, didn't compute with all the other things, or they thought he was "the devil doing it". These stories sometimes give the unbelivers fodder for their claim of them not all being true. It was "just another parable or example" so to speak.

But we had people like Padro Pio that seemed to be able to know things and read minds at times, but it never really affected anyone outside of his believers....
Old Jul 16, '07, 4:39 am

Religion: LATIN RITE CATHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran View Post
When reading scripture, it amazes me that Jesus could heal the ear of the soldier and not have them be taken back....If I was to arrest someone of pretending to be the messiah and he healed my cut off ear, I would be on my knees!! One person's opinion is below and it makes me wonder how anyone could not of seen he was if not the son of God, someone very special and not a criminal. Any comments after reading it? Did it seem odd to any of you that seeing a "miracle" was so ignored?
Though that miracle was very obvious, I think people ignore the way God touches our individual lives in so many ways each day--they often call His work "coincidence." But as for the soldiers, I think they feared the Roman authority more than the He who has authority over the universe. We are often very petty and short-sighted creatures.

Quote:
In the moment between landing the blow and Jesus restoring the ear, Peter realized the consequences he would have to pay for that action. He probably saw what Jesus did for him the instant it happened. When Jesus healed the soldier's ear, the evidence that would have supported prosecution for the attempted murder of an officer of the law vanished. There would be no argument in court against Peter regarding that incident. He was acquitted before he was accused!"
I've never thought of this that way. Thank you! I'll use this thought in my meditations. I love Peter's frank way--he often seems good hearted/intentioned, but rash. What I especially appreciate is his willingness to be corrected and his humility in seeking forgiveness. He is one of those "what you see is what you get kinda guys--really genuine--and I'm sure you're right that he had many mixed feelings at that moment--relief and gratitude among them.
Old Jul 16, '07, 4:41 am
Forum Master

I like your friends description, especially the part about saving Peter from prosecution. That's a very adept observation.

When I dwell on this passage, I think it reminds me that Jesus doesn't want any harm done in Jesus' name to someone, even if they may be persecuting Jesus (or HIs Church). It may be taken as a sad commentary on some of the Church's past, like the Crusades, and one can easily justify them for they did stop the encroaching spread of Islam. But the last thing our Lord wants is for someone to kill someone else "in God's Name".
Old Jul 16, '07, 4:44 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_felicity View Post
I love Peter's frank way--he often seems good hearted/intentioned, but rash. What I especially appreciate is his willingness to be corrected and his humility in seeking forgiveness. He is one of those "what you see is what you get kinda guys--really genuine--and I'm sure you're right that he had many mixed feelings at that moment--relief and gratitude among them.
I like Peter, too! But I see him as "What you see - at this moment - is what you get!!!! Peter tended to be a little mercurial before Acts comes along.
Old Jul 16, '07, 5:04 am

Religion: LATIN RITE CATHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy View Post
I like Peter, too! But I see him as "What you see - at this moment - is what you get!!!! Peter tended to be a little mercurial before Acts comes along.
Even afterward! Remeber in Galations how Paul chastises Peter for getting wishy-washy with the Judiazers (sp?)? But Peter takes that correction from Paul as well!
Old Jul 16, '07, 5:18 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran
Peter, who spend such a long time with Jesus, who followed him away from home and who witnessed many of his miracles denied him out of fear. I think it was harder for the soldier to stand up for Jesus than for Peter. The soldier knew what could happen to him and I can guess that it wouldn't be pretty.

TE DEUM LAUDAMUS
Old Jul 16, '07, 6:05 am
Book Club Member

Put yourself in the soldier's shoes. Would you want to report back to Pontius Pilate that a fisherman cut your ear off and the criminal you were arresting restored it to you through divine agency?

Better to keep your mouth shut unless you planned to seek eternity early.

"We are obliged to yield many things to the Catholics (for example), that they possess the Word of God, which we received from them; otherwise, we should have known nothing at all about it." ---Martin Luther, Commentary on John, Chap 16.
Old Jul 16, '07, 5:58 pm

Teflon93, I never really saw it this way....you have a point! I started out giving one scenario, and got more.....that helps a lot when I want more things to think about while saying the rosary or during adoration.
Sometimes I get upset that so many conversations weren't written down or repeated, why, is probably a lot of reasons, some practical, some not, but it would of been great to listen in on them at the time.
Old Jul 16, '07, 6:39 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran View Post
Teflon93, I never really saw it this way....you have a point! I started out giving one scenario, and got more.....that helps a lot when I want more things to think about while saying the rosary or during adoration.
Sometimes I get upset that so many conversations weren't written down or repeated, why, is probably a lot of reasons, some practical, some not, but it would of been great to listen in on them at the time.
That's why "sola scriptura" never cut it with me--there is so much more to know about Christ and his teachings!

Who wouldn't have wanted to be there for the 40 days with the risen Lord?

Sure beats "The 40 Days of Purpose" making the rounds!

"We are obliged to yield many things to the Catholics (for example), that they possess the Word of God, which we received from them; otherwise, we should have known nothing at all about it." ---Martin Luther, Commentary on John, Chap 16.
Old Jul 17, '07, 8:15 am

I know it would of been great to listen and ask questions even before he died. What others thought of as important and what you might, of course would waver with personality and intellect. They might of asked things we would be interested in but didn't think it worthy to write down....it was laborious to write if you could, and word of mouth, a wonderful communication, can get altered a bit with each person. I know the apostles tried to pass on what they could before they died, but what a joy to of had Jesus for so long, to pass that on literally is almost impossible.

My son commented when watching "King of Kings"around Easter, during the sermon of the mount, "you know they asked a lot more questions than this....wouldn't you of loved to of heard them all?
"
Well, hopefully one day we will have the joy of knowing a lot more.
Old Nov 27, '09, 3:42 pm
Trial Membership

what some of you dont seem to realize is that it doesnt matter who believed in Jesus and his power and who didnt. why not? because he would have died anyway. that was the point. that is why God sent him to earth in the first place. the whole point was to bring us salvation and to free us from sin. he wouldnt have needed to come if we all believed in him and his power. so... yes his healing of the soldier was ignored. yes it was rude and yes they shouldhve known then that he was the messiah... but would it have mattered? most likely not. one way or another God's plan was going be carried out.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics