Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 21, '07, 6:35 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to zemi Send a message via AIM to zemi Send a message via MSN to zemi Send a message via Yahoo to zemi Send a message via Skype™ to zemi
Default How do you respond to your children to "Who created God?" question

How do you respond to your children to "Who created God?" question?

Do your children accept what you say? Are they satisfied with the answer?
Old Jul 22, '07, 9:47 am

Default Re: How do you respond to your children to "Who created God?" question

Oh, I hope you get some answers because my 6-year-old dd ALWAYS asks this question whenever I say something about how God created everything...ugh.

Proud Mama to 5 beautiful children + 1 Angel
S (2001) D (2003) H (2006) D (2009) V (2011)

Gregory (2013)

My Blog
Old Jul 22, '07, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemi View Post
How do you respond to your children to "Who created God?" question?

Do your children accept what you say? Are they satisfied with the answer?
Oh no....I have a four week old and I am wondering what in the world I will say someday if he asks me this!
Old Jul 22, '07, 11:36 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

The first step is to understand that your children won't completely understand any answer you give them so tell them so. Why should they understand any better than adults do? Most of us have just stopped thinking so hard about how God can be eternal because it gives us headaches when we try.

Hopefully your children won't ask until they have a sense of time, particularly 'before' and 'after'. The answer is "Nobody created God. God always was. There was nothing but God. Then God created time, and then God made the universe and the world and all the animals and all the people."
Old Jul 22, '07, 12:16 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via ICQ to zemi Send a message via AIM to zemi Send a message via MSN to zemi Send a message via Yahoo to zemi Send a message via Skype™ to zemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GirlsRUs View Post
Oh, I hope you get some answers because my 6-year-old dd ALWAYS asks this question whenever I say something about how God created everything...ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfrazier View Post
Oh no....I have a four week old and I am wondering what in the world I will say someday if he asks me this!
In short my answer would be somethink like this ---> first I give the easiest answer, then I'd give a more "advanced" answer.

1. Child: Mom/Dad, who created God?

Parent: My child. God wasn't created. He is did not have a beginning and he does not have and end.

Child: How do we know?

Parent: He alone told us. But he also told us that once day we will join him in heaven and also will be happy there forever. You and me and our family and all the world. But only if they choose to go there. We can talk about it of you want.

Child:

2. Child: Mom/Dad, who created God?

Parent:My child, look. God created everything. You also came once into being. Do you remember our talk about it?

Child: I do.

Parent: You see, not only you but also I was born one day, my parents were born some day. Everyone of us had a beginning some day. We began to exist. This is so in everything you look around. Look - this table, this food, this book - everything once came into being - by a carpenter, farmer or an author. Ok?

Child: Hmm.

Parent: From this we know that everything that once began to exist needed something/somebody to create it. Does that make sense?

Child: Yes, yes, but what about God? Who created him?

Parent: We just saw that everything that began to exist needs something to create it. God existed from all the eternity. That's why he didn't need anything/anyone to create him. It is not easy to comprehend but at the same time it makes a lot of sense.

Child: Hmm.. interesting... but wait.. why couldn't he also had a beginning and therefore a cause?

Parent: Good question. Look. If you see a chain of dominoes falling, you know that each one that fell, was caused to fall by the previous one. Ok?

Child: (scratching head...) Sure!

Parent: But you know that it had to have a beginning. You know that there was one domino at the very beginning that made all the others fall. That first domino is God.

Child: Hey, I or anyone or the wind could made the first domino fall!

Parent: That is only an analogy, you see. Each of the dominos represent you, me, my parent, my grand-grand parents, winds, heat, hurricanes, every single cause in the universe. These dominos represent real things. But when you see the chain falling you know there has to be one domino at the beginning that was not moved by a previous one!

Child: That's interesting. I'm going to tell that to my schoolmates that asked me this question!

3.If the debate needs to go on, look at:

THIS article on Category Fallacy by JP Moreland.

THIS Peter Kreeft's article - andscroll down to the 2nd point - that is "2. The Argument from Efficient Causality"
Old Jul 22, '07, 12:38 pm

My 4 year old has asked me that question, and my response was almost identical to the one SMHW listed, and he seemed satisfied with it. He still likes to ask me "Did God make...." and we'll talk about how God made people and people made this or that. He actually can get kind of abstract and philosophical about it at times. It's interesting to see the way that a 4 year old's mind works.
Old Jul 24, '07, 12:21 pm

It would depend greatly on the age of the child. Under 6 or 7 I would stick with questions, and wonderings and kind of just encourage the child to wonder about it some more himself. What do you think? Do you think that someone did create God? I wonder how that could happen.... and let it go. With an older child, if he obviously wanted to know, I would be more direct.
Old Jul 24, '07, 12:57 pm

My little ones haven't asked this question yet, but I've always thought a simple analogy is the one where God is compared to a ring or a circle. There is no beginning or end. As for us adults, I try to remind myself that God is not like man, only bigger and better. He is pure spirit and our brains weren't made to completely wrap around all the wonders of God.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting