Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 26, '07, 11:47 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Actress101
Default Ghosts..Spirits?

Just would like to know, what do you all think about ghosts and spirits? Do you believe in them at all, or think they are unrested souls? Personally, I do believe they exist, maybe as unrested souls or troubled souls. What do you think? I know being Catholic we shouldn't believe in them, but I do believe they are real.
Old Jul 26, '07, 11:50 am

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan
Default Re: Ghosts..Spirits?

There seems to be a widespread belief that many "spirits" seen by the living are actually purgatorial spirits. Such is one interpretation of the Ghost in Hamlet. Fr. Shouppe, S.J. wrote a book called Purgatory in which he describes purgatorial spirits appearing before living Catholics and asking for prayers to be said for the restless souls.
Old Jul 26, '07, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actress101 View Post
Just would like to know, what do you all think about ghosts and spirits? Do you believe in them at all, or think they are unrested souls? Personally, I do believe they exist, maybe as unrested souls or troubled souls. What do you think? I know being Catholic we shouldn't believe in them, but I do believe they are real.

http://www.saint-mike.org/spcdc/library/7ghosts.asp
http://www.divinemercy.com/faustina/

The Devil will tell you a thousand truths just to slip in one lie
Old Jul 26, '07, 6:43 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actress101 View Post
There is no such thing as an unrested soul.
When we die our soul is immediately judged (The Particular Judgement) and we are either condemned (sent to Hell) or saved (straight to Heaven or more likely Purgatory first). There are no souls who have unfinished business here and have not "crossed over"!
That does not mean ghosts/spirits do not exist but in my view they are almost certainly from satan.
Old Jul 26, '07, 7:08 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
When we die our soul is immediately judged (The Particular Judgement) and we are either condemned (sent to Hell) or saved (straight to Heaven or more likely Purgatory first). There are no souls who have unfinished business here and have not "crossed over"!
That does not mean ghosts/spirits do not exist but in my view they are almost certainly from satan.
I agree for the same reasons you state here. Spirits are allowed to manifest even if they have gone to heaven or no-one could have ever have seen a Saint, Blessed Virgin Mother Mary, St Therese etc.

I think there are two reasons people believe they experience ghosts, because I don't believe ghosts exist. Firstly they are simply evil spirits or secondly it may be due to the fact of eternity, I don't know how to propose this, but I'll try, perhaps God allows time to be suspended in order that a person may see back into time or into the future as all eternity exists in the eternal moment and therefore 'person/s' appear to manifest, but still this would be a spirit .

In any case keep well away from that stuff!
Old Jul 26, '07, 7:23 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Lapsed Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
I disagree. If a soul is sent to Purgatory, it very much does mean that there is unfinished business to be accomplished before one is admitted to the Beatific Vision. One needs to be made perfect before that and since I myself and those I know are under no illusion that we will be perfect before we die, it’s obvious that if we are spared eternal death, that there may very well be some “fine tuning” left to be done. During this time of purification, the soul may very well be described as “restless.” Whether that means that such a soul would or could visually manifest itself as a ghost is something that we would have to speculate on.
Old Jul 26, '07, 7:29 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Eric View Post
I disagree. If a soul is sent to Purgatory, it very much does mean that there is unfinished business to be accomplished before one is admitted to the Beatific Vision. One needs to be made perfect before that and since I myself and those I know are under no illusion that we will be perfect before we die, it’s obvious that if we are spared eternal death, that there may very well be some “fine tuning” left to be done. During this time of purification, the soul may very well be described as “restless.” Whether that means that such a soul would or could visually manifest itself as a ghost is something that we would have to speculate on.
I didn't think of that and that's a very good thought you've pointed out in your post, we will indeed have no rest until we rest in Jesus.

I just don't like all these mediums running about out there sending folks over to the otherside and people consulting them and people worrying about ghosts being in their homes etc. There's alot of wrong things happening here and people shouldn't get involved in it purely because they don't know what they are getting involved in and it is occult and against our faith.

I don't believe there are ghosts. I think a great deal of 'experiences' are psychological but I do think spirits of people or evil spirits can manifest.
Old Jul 29, '07, 5:58 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Eric View Post
I agree with you if you mean restless in that way but I assumed, maybe mistakenly, that the OP's meaning of being restless meant still unfinished business here on Earth which is not possible as the soul is judged at death and there is no way back.
Old Jul 29, '07, 6:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

My
grandmother and my father always said only fools go where angels fear to tread.

Listen I don't know if Ghosts are real I have seen some pretty wierd stuff in my life but when it comes to it I either ignore it or start praying. boom the wierd stuff is gone.

people dabble in stuff they have no buisness playing with. Satan uses all kinds of things to distract us from his pupose for us and this is one of the many tricks. I have no doubt people who play in that stuff hear and see something the question is what??
The saints appear they are not ghosts or dead yet very much alive and they speak to us of Gods love not wander around moaning.

Stay away from those who tread where the angels fear to
Old Jul 30, '07, 8:08 am

Religion: Free and undefined!

Ghosts, Demons, and Angels are real to me from personal experience. I believe that ghosts may be unrested spirits and, in some cases, are like angels because they can come from the spirit world and occaisonally mainfest in the physical to help someone. Ghosts are people, so there are the good and the bad.

I think that some ghostly images are spirit imprints instead of someone's actual soul. You can make an spirit imprint on something very easily. If you walk down the steps everyday, then you will eventually imprint the steps that you walk on. This is my explanation for why some ghosts interact with people and why some just continue their action as if you weren't even there.
Old Jul 30, '07, 8:09 am

Religion: Free and undefined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4angel View Post
My
grandmother and my father always said only fools go where angels fear to tread.

Listen I don't know if Ghosts are real I have seen some pretty wierd stuff in my life but when it comes to it I either ignore it or start praying. boom the wierd stuff is gone.

people dabble in stuff they have no buisness playing with. Satan uses all kinds of things to distract us from his pupose for us and this is one of the many tricks. I have no doubt people who play in that stuff hear and see something the question is what??
The saints appear they are not ghosts or dead yet very much alive and they speak to us of Gods love not wander around moaning.

Stay away from those who tread where the angels fear to

I think that you are confusing the term ghost with demon.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality