Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 27, '07, 10:41 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Tattoos

Hey guys. Im sure this question has been asked a million times on here but im not sure as what to think on the debate on tattoos. My godparents tell me that its a violation of the fifth commandment to get a tattoo. Ive also heard its a sin because the body is a temple of The Holy Spirit. Ive also heard the other point of views that its not a sin. I have been wanting to get a tattoo of a cross or something realitive to our Catholic faith, but am afraid it is a sin. The last thing I want to do is to offend God but Im up in the air as to weather its a sin or not. Whats your thoughts on this?
Old Jun 27, '07, 11:18 pm

Religion: catholic; in process of RCIA
Default Re: Tattoos

im curious to see what the answer is to this.. i have 4, most i got a few years ago before REALLY coming to God.. i hope its not bad news...
Old Jun 27, '07, 11:20 pm

I have o official view of the Church to help you and answer you question. Some say wrong some say not, Im one who says wrong even though I want to get tattoos or piercings I refuse because I think it is sinful, but others will say the opposite,
Old Jun 27, '07, 11:24 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Piercings? So pierced ears are sinful you think? Why? Jewish women of Jesus' day would commonly have had pierced ears and worn earrings - even noserings! He didn't seem to indicate that he found them offensive in any way.

As for tatoos - why not? We decorate our bodies with clothing and in all sorts of other ways, both temporary and less temporary (like our haircut or colour!)

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Jun 27, '07, 11:40 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewC View Post
Hey guys. Im sure this question has been asked a million times on here but im not sure as what to think on the debate on tattoos. My godparents tell me that its a violation of the fifth commandment to get a tattoo. Ive also heard its a sin because the body is a temple of The Holy Spirit. Ive also heard the other point of views that its not a sin. I have been wanting to get a tattoo of a cross or something realitive to our Catholic faith, but am afraid it is a sin. The last thing I want to do is to offend God but Im up in the air as to weather its a sin or not. Whats your thoughts on this?
Uh,.. ask those who have a problem with you getting tattoos, for "Christian reasons", to explain their reasoning.

Then you can take that to a number of Priests for clarification, perhaps, and then have someone in your Diocese who's really up on looking up weird "prohibitions" to get a "ruling" about tattoos.

I'm thinking all those "natives" who were converted in the South Seas a ways back probably didn't run into a problem with the Church about their tattoos.

The "no tattoos" thing smells rather "puritan type protestant" to me,.. but my nose isn't the best these days.

Mahalo ke Akua..!
E pili mau na pomaika`i ia `oe. Aloha nui.
Old Jun 27, '07, 11:44 pm

BryPGuy89 is right. The Church does not hold an official view on tattoos. From my understanding when the Church is neutral on a subject it's up to the individual to decide.

Typically however, most people cite Leviticus 19:28 in the Old Testament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev 19:28
'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.'
This passage was in reference to the popular pagan tradition at the time of tattooing oneself or cutting oneself to appease their gods or ancestors.

In addition, with Jesus fulfilling the Law, the attention was drawn away from items of the body, but rather, to the items of the soul. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans 3:26-29
(26) So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? (27) And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law? (28) For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. (29) But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.
Although this was in regards to circumcision you get the point. Jesus changed the focus from the physical law to the spiritual law.

And in regards to tattoos violating the Fifth Commandment I'm not sure how that applies. The Fifth Commandment reads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus 20:13
You shall not murder.
I'm not exactly sure how they draw the connection between murder and tattoos.

I myself am planning on getting tattoos. I'm just saving up for them now. Both are religious in context and are in locations that can be covered up easily (on my shoulders). They are meant as personal and permanent physical reminders of my connection to God.

Respectfully,
Mark

1 Cor 13:13 - But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Romans 12:12 - Rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer
Old Jun 27, '07, 11:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keikiolu View Post
The "no tattoos" thing smells rather "puritan type protestant" to me,.. but my nose isn't the best these days.
That's true. Actually, there are historical records of Christians having tattoos. This ranges from early Christians all the way up to the Crusades so they would receive a Christian burial.

However, it is also true that for a while tattooing was discouraged in the Christian world because of its connection to pagan religions. But, the problem wasn't so much with the tattoo, rather the intent of the tattoo.

Respectfully,
Mark

1 Cor 13:13 - But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Romans 12:12 - Rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer
Old Jun 28, '07, 1:22 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: well, why am I here? Certainly not to argue ^_^

I dont see how it could be a sin if its a Christian tatoo.I think it would be lovely, so that wherever you go, it will be a sign that you love Jesus.I think the Lord would be very pleased and it would be like a special sign of your loyalty to Him. However, Im not 100% sure- the Church does have some complicated rules- So perhaps you shoould speak to a Priest.

Please remember to pray for everyone in the whole world.
Old Jun 28, '07, 6:10 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Here's a link that teaches us how to discern the morality of Tatoos!

Might be helpful.

http://cuf.org/faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffID=233
Old Jun 28, '07, 6:26 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Interestingly, I spoke to Fr. Serpa on this very subject recently. I was concerned because I am heavily tattooed and wondered if this was somehow displeasing to God and if I should have them removed. Fr. Serpa assured me that the Church has no official stance on tattoos and that I am not obliged to have them removed.

Think about it, why would God really be bothered by something as superficial as tattoos? And I agree with LilyM, it's just another form of body decoration at the end of the day. No big spiritual deal. I love that the Church is more open minded about this issue than most people. And they say the Church doesn't move with the times...
Old Jun 28, '07, 7:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispector View Post
I myself am planning on getting tattoos. I'm just saving up for them now. Both are religious in context and are in locations that can be covered up easily (on my shoulders). They are meant as personal and permanent physical reminders of my connection to God.

Respectfully,
Mark
I always wanted a tattoo or two. Be deliberate about it. I have heard it can become very addictive and you may want more after you get the ones you want. I never did get one.

I wear the five way medal under my shirt. Mine is the silver one, with a stainless steel chain.

This Five Way is a combination of five medals into one. The Miraculous Medal - St. Joseph Medal - St. Christopher - Scapular Medal - Holy Ghost symbolized by the dove in the middle of the medal. On the Back of the medal is the inscription “ I Am A Catholic Please Call a Priest”. [Just in case i am in an accident, the doctors or nurses would call a priest.] The medal is blessed by a priest, too.

You may ask a priest to bless your tattoos when you get them. My medal is a constant reminder to me of my commitment to God. It was much less costly than a tattoo, too.

Joseph Michael
Old Jun 28, '07, 7:08 am

My objection to tattoos is purely aesthetic - I think they are ugly.
I don't think they are sinful, but they are so permanent - it's something that you can't get rid of and they aren't going to be fresh and perky forever. Neither are you for that matter.

Check out this guy:

http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/web...d_kills_guard/
Old Jun 28, '07, 7:12 am

I don't think the chruch takes an official stance on tattoo's, but I would think common sense applies here. They are morally neutral, unless they are really distasteful in nature. (i.e. bad images, placement, etc).
Old Jun 28, '07, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblioassistant View Post
My objection to tattoos is purely aesthetic - I think they are ugly.
I don't think they are sinful, but they are so permanent - it's something that you can't get rid of and they aren't going to be fresh and perky forever. Neither are you for that matter.
Biblioassistant,
I didn't always, but i now agree with you on this point. I used to think tattoos were really cool. But over the years my opinion has changed. I have noticed so many faded tattoos on people. It's a shame they don't really last. After a while they simply look terrible.
---------
MARK,
You know any exposure to the sun will fade a tattoo much more quickly. You have to use MAXIMUM sunscreen on them all the time.

God is all good,
Joseph Michael
Old Jun 28, '07, 7:33 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: RC

I have a large non-religious tattoo and want many more including a religious one BECAUSE of a vow I took (Consecration to Mary--St. Louis de Montfort suggests wearing 'a small iron slave chain' on the ankle and I want to get it tattooed with a golden rose over my the top of my foot.) I am a practicing Catholic, active in my parish and am a member of Confraternity of the Rosary and Eucharistic Apostles of the Divine Mercy.
I am also 45 years old and not in the slightest interested in the 'biker' lifestyle (LOL).
I agree that the attitude toward tattoos seems to stem from 'Puritanistic' fundy-ism.
Tattoos can be cheap advertizing of rebellion or they can be ART.

Ravyn
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology