Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 7, '07, 9:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Being a soldier a sin?

Hey guys! I was just wondering if being a soldier is a sin or not. As in partaking in the deaths of other human beings. I understand you need to be able to protect your country, but it is a sin to kill people and at times it isn't exactly self defense.... what is the offical teaching so I know for future refrence?

And also... does anyone know if they will draft you (I know the draft doesn't exist at the moment) even if you don't agree with the concept of war?
Old Aug 7, '07, 10:30 pm

Default Re: Being a soldier a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA View Post
Hey guys! I was just wondering if being a soldier is a sin or not. As in partaking in the deaths of other human beings. I understand you need to be able to protect your country, but it is a sin to kill people and at times it isn't exactly self defense.... what is the offical teaching so I know for future refrence?

And also... does anyone know if they will draft you (I know the draft doesn't exist at the moment) even if you don't agree with the concept of war?
Well, people fall into two categories on this one.

The first interpretation is known as Just War, in that we are commanded to obey the authorities placed on earth by God (Romans 13:1), and many times in Old Testament history, God commanded his chosen people to wage wars against many peoples, in fact, even waging a war of conquest and genocide in securing the Promised Land.

The second interpretation is known as Pacifism, or the belief that all war is evil. The basis for this is usually 1 Cor. 13, in which we are shown that Love is the highest virtue, and adherents to a Pacifist interpretation view war as something that can never be loving.

I fall into the Just War mentality, and, to quote a scriptural-interpretation ministry's view:

"Jesus marveled when a Roman Centurion (officer in charge of one hundred soldiers) approached Him. The Centurionís response to Jesus indicated his clear understanding of authority, as well as his faith in Jesus (Matthew 8:5-13). Jesus did not denounce his career. Many Centurions mentioned in the New Testament are praised as Christians, God-fearers, and men of good character (Matthew 8:5,8,13; 27:54; Mark 15:39,44-45; Luke 7:2,6; 23:47; Acts 10:1,22; 21:32; 22:25-26; 23:17,23; 24:23; 27:1,6,11,31,43; 28:16)."

-gotquestions.org
Old Aug 7, '07, 10:34 pm

Religion: rc

the draft does exist in the usa. it is a federal offense not to requister. while no one is currently being drafted that does not mean they won't be. as a soldier you maybe ordered to do sinful things. this is the legality of the matter. good bless you and keep you
Old Aug 8, '07, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA View Post
I was just wondering if being a soldier is a sin or not. As in partaking in the deaths of other human beings.
No, it is not sinful to be a soldier, to serve in combat, or to kill in war.

2310 "Public authorities, in this case, have the right and duty to impose on citizens the obligations necessary for national defense. Those who are sworn to serve their country in the armed forces are servants of the security and freedom of nations. If they carry out their duty honorably, they truly contribute to the common good of the nation and the maintenance of peace."

Quote:
If the draft was ever re-instituted you could be drafted but you could apply for Conscientious Objector status. I think you would still have to serve but you would not be placed in a position where you might have to kill someone.

Ender
Old Aug 8, '07, 9:35 am
Forum Elder

If being a soldier were a sin, the Catholic Church would not have established an Archdiocese to serve the military.

http://www.milarch.org/
Old Aug 8, '07, 10:07 am
Forum Elder

Note John the Baptist's words in Luke 3:14
Quote:
Soldiers also asked him, ;And we, what shall we do?; And he said to them, ;Rob no one by violence or by false accusation, and be content with your wages.;
Old Aug 8, '07, 10:34 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reh12345 View Post
the draft does exist in the usa. it is a federal offense not to requister. while no one is currently being drafted that does not mean they won't be. as a soldier you maybe ordered to do sinful things. this is the legality of the matter. good bless you and keep you
Nowhere in this volunteer U.S. Army manual did I find the word sinful. Could you point it out to me?
http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r600_8_105.pdf
For the OP, some are called to a military vocation and some are not. Tim

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology