Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 11, '07, 10:02 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyms1974
Default Non-Catholic Saints

I was wondering something.

Is there a way that people of other faiths are recognized for their outstanding service to God? It appears to me that a person MUST be Catholic in order to be canonized a saint. To me, this seems a bit unfair to those worthy of this honor who are not Catholic unless there is an alternative recognition of some sort. What can you fine people on this forum tell me?

Tracy
Old Aug 11, '07, 10:12 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Non-Catholic Saints

All worthy servants of God are, we can be sure, fully recognised and honoured by the One they serve, which is the only thing any of us should truly desire.

As for canonisation - well, not all saintly Catholics get canonised either! Only about 10,000 in 2,000 years. Five a year average. So there are many who don't achieve the distinction of canonisation in spite of being worthy of it.

This can happen for many reasons. Perhaps they have lived their lives in obscurity, their virtues unrecognised by the world. Perhaps God has simpy not singled them out to us by the necessary verifiable miracles performed through their intercession. Who knows

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Aug 11, '07, 10:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Anglican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyms1974 View Post

Is there a way that people of other faiths are recognized for their outstanding service to God? It appears to me that a person MUST be Catholic in order to be canonized a saint. To me, this seems a bit unfair to those worthy of this honor who are not Catholic unless there is an alternative recognition of some sort. What can you fine people on this forum tell me?

Tracy
No a person doesn't have to be RC to be recognized as a saint. In the Anglican church, there are many recognized saints including Martin Luther King Jr. among many others. It all boils down to how you believe. For myself, there are many saints from many denominations.
Old Aug 11, '07, 10:38 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella View Post
No a person doesn't have to be RC to be recognized as a saint. In the Anglican church, there are many recognized saints including Martin Luther King Jr. among many others. It all boils down to how you believe. For myself, there are many saints from many denominations.
St. Thomas More is recognized as a Saint by both the Catholic and Anglican churches. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In 1935, four hundred years after his death, More was canonized in the Catholic Church by Pope Pius XI, and was later declared the patron saint of lawyers and statesmen. He shares his feast day, 22 June on the Catholic calendar of saints, with Saint John Fisher, the only Bishop during the English Reformation to maintain his allegiance to the Pope. More was added to the Anglican Churches' calendar of saints in 1980.
Old Aug 11, '07, 10:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
St. Thomas More is recognized as a Saint by both the Catholic and Anglican churches. From Wikipedia:
this is a good point.
Old Aug 11, '07, 10:46 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
this is a good point.
The OP was clearly talking about the Catholic Church formally canonising saintly people of other faiths (which is the only 'recognition' we offer), not the Anglicans recognising Catholics or persons of other denominations.

Old Aug 11, '07, 10:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
The OP was clearly talking about the Catholic Church formally canonising saintly people of other faiths (which is the only 'recognition' we offer), not the Anglicans recognising Catholics or persons of other denominations.
ok... So why should the latter be considered less valuable?
Old Aug 12, '07, 12:50 am

Religion: Agnostic Mormon rite Catholic occultist and Thelemite

There is speculation that Saint Brigid was actually a pagan goddess. Does that count?

I'm waiting for them to canonize Alphonse Louis Constant (Eliphas Levi). If it can work for Joan of Arc, why not another dissident.

From The Great Secret, by Eliphas Levi:
"In the present-day Church, as in Judaism during the days of Jesus Christ, tares are mixed in with the good corn, and one dare not touch the tares for fear of rooting out the wheat. The Church is being punished by her own anathemas; she is cursed because she has cursed. The sword she has drawn has turned against her, just as the Master predicted.

Maledictions belong to hell and anathemas are the acts of the popery of Satan. They should be shut up again in the grimoire of Honorius. The true Church of God prays for sinners and has no care for cursing them.

Fathers are censured who curse their children, but no-one has been found to admit that a mother might have cursed hers. The rites of excommunication used in barbaric times were those of sympathetic, or black, magic, as is proved by the fact that the holy things were veiled and all the lights were extinguished to render homage to darkness. Then the populaces were incited to rebel against their kings, extermination and hatred were preached, whole realms were interdicted, and the magnetic current of evil was strengthened by all possible means. This current has become a powerful vortex which is shaking the Chair of Peter, but the Church will triumph by indulgence and pardon. A day will come when the last anathemas of an oecumenical council will be these: Accursed be malediction, let anathemas be anathematized, and may all men be blessed! -- Then we shall no longer see mankind on one side and the Church on the other; for the Church will embrace mankind, and whoever is included in humanity cannot be otherwise than within the pale of the Church.

Dissident doctrines will only be regarded as ignorance. Love will do gentle violence to hatred, and we shall remain united by all the sentiments of sincere brotherhood, even with those who would wish to separate themselves from us. At that time religion will have conquered the world, and the Jews, our fathers and brothers, will join us in greeting the spiritual reign of the Messiah. This is the future prospect for our earth, which is now so desolate and unhappy: the second coming of the Saviour, the manifestation of grand Catholicism and the triumph of Messianism, our hope and our faith! ..."

-------------------------
lucifer in tenebris lucet
-------------------------
Old Aug 12, '07, 2:30 am

Send a message via AIM to THutch04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyms1974 View Post

Tracy
Yes, a person must be Catholic in order to be a canonized Saint. That doesn't mean that non-Catholics can't become saints. I know I can think of one person in particular who I think could very well be a saint. But no, they are not recognized officially by the Catholic Church. But then again, I'm also the person who used to think that the only way one could be canonized was if he or she was a priest or nun.
Old Aug 12, '07, 2:47 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
They're not, any more than law students from Harvard University in the US are less valuable than law students from Oxford University in the UK.

Doesn't mean that the one University can rightly mark the other's papers or give exams (or prizes) to the other's students!

And the Catholic Church don't hand out no honorary doctorates (or canonisations) to people of other faiths! Although the Vatican has different honours they hand out such as the Order of St Sylvester - I'd imagine at least some of those are open to people of other faiths

Old Aug 12, '07, 8:28 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THutch04 View Post
Yes, a person must be Catholic in order to be a canonized Saint. That doesn't mean that non-Catholics can't become saints. I know I can think of one person in particular who I think could very well be a saint. But no, they are not recognized officially by the Catholic Church. But then again, I'm also the person who used to think that the only way one could be canonized was if he or she was a priest or nun.
That is simply not so. The Anglican church canonizes saints that the catholic church does not. Does this mean that they are really not saints? You may agree but I would say certainly not. Again, God is neither Catholic nor Protestant. His word is sharper than any double edged sword.
Old Aug 12, '07, 9:34 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Quote:
Without regard to value, it is not the topic of this discussion.

Quote:
That is simply not so. The Anglican church canonizes saints that the catholic church does not. Does this mean that they are really not saints? You may agree but I would say certainly not. Again, God is neither Catholic nor Protestant. His word is sharper than any double edged sword.
I'd say it means they are not necessarily saints. It is possible that Dr. King is in heaven, but not necessarily true.
God may not "be" Catholic or Protestant, but He did institute ONE Church.
Old Aug 12, '07, 5:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithound View Post
Without regard to value, it is not the topic of this discussion.

I'd say it means they are not necessarily saints. It is possible that Dr. King is in heaven, but not necessarily true.
God may not "be" Catholic or Protestant, but He did institute ONE Church.
show me proof that the Roman Catholic church is that one church.
Old Aug 12, '07, 5:06 pm
Banned

Is this why the RC has to raise the magisterium to the same authority as scripture? Is it because scripture does not say that the church in Rome is the one true church of Christ founded upon Peter, so the magisterium now level in authority will make that claim? This seems to be extreme fabrication and very debatable.
Old Aug 12, '07, 5:16 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
show me proof that the Roman Catholic church is that one church.
That, my new friend, is a 150,000-part argument that we call the Catholic Answers Forum. See you around.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions