Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 13, '07, 9:15 pm

Religion: Anglican
Default Can a Protestant Pastor convert and become a Priest?

Can a married non-denominational Pastor convert to Catholicism and be ordained a Priest? If yes what requirements would need to be met?

Thanks, Steve
Old Aug 13, '07, 9:31 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Can a Protestant Pastor convert and become a Priest?

yes, and there is an article about this in a issue of This Rock, available from the CA homepage. there is also an active thread on on Episcopal/Anglican clergy converting and becoming Catholic priests on the Forums.
For Protestant clergy contemplating entering the CAtholic Church, the Coming Home network is a valuable help. The man would have to complete his seminary education, usually at one of a couple of seminaries that cater to later vocations or to converts. He would also have to find a parish or other position where he could support his family, and in most cases his wife would have to work.
Old Aug 13, '07, 11:23 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Cran

I agree with the above, it depends (over here) abit of the local bishop... but it can add to much confusion if there's suddenly a married parish priest... but this could also happen if a priest of the eastern rite takes over a roman parish (which he may, if the bishop asks him to do so).
Old Aug 13, '07, 11:36 pm

A long time ago, our Church had a married former Anglican priest. He was a very good priest, and is proof that this can be done well. However, I would hope that the Protestant minister in question has prayed very intensely over this to make sure that it is God's will that is being done.
Old Aug 14, '07, 8:08 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLy View Post
Can a married non-denominational Pastor convert to Catholicism and be ordained a Priest? If yes what requirements would need to be met?
Yes! It has been done. It does require a lot of discernment, but as the Spirit leads you home, may He fulfill your desire to serve Him. I would suggest that you contact the local Diocese where you live.

And may God bless you and your loving Christian family richly.

Christ's peace.
Old Aug 14, '07, 8:49 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

The person should talk to their diocesan vocations office. I've heard of Anglican/Episcopalian married priests becoming Catholic priests and I believe I've heard it about Lutherans, but I'm not sure about a non-denominational minister.

There's information about the pastoral provision here: http://www.pastoralprovision.org/
Old Aug 14, '07, 9:18 am

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, '07, 10:27 am

Although this is possible, it must be said that toward the end of his pontifical reign, John Paul II was not as open to this as he once was, denying many Anglican parishes to become "transitional" ones, as are the twenty-five in Texas. I'm not sure how the Holy Father Benedict XVI reacts to such cases, but I do know that Papal approval is required in such a situation directly, just as it is if a priest wishes to leave the priesthood.

Regardless of the particulars, a conversion is a joyous event, especially if that person intends to help spread the Good News through the teachings of the Church.
Old Aug 14, '07, 10:49 am

I think the provision only allows for Episcopalian ministers who convert.
Old Aug 14, '07, 11:12 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think the provision only allows for Episcopalian ministers who convert.
I am under the impression that Lutheran priests may also be allowed, but it is not permitted generally - a UCC minister or an Evangelical minister would not be able to do this, for example.

Keep in mind too that the only reason it is permitted at all is for pastoral reasons, because of the outward similarities between the Lutheran, Anglican, and Catholic priesthoods. There is very little outward similarity between a UCC minister and a Catholic priest, nor between an Evangelical pastor and a Catholic priest.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Aug 15, '07, 4:19 pm
Banned

They do it for mainline pastors at times. Interesting is Alwx Jones who was a pentecostal pastor and is married and now is trying to be permitted to be a priest. If thee is a provision for former Anglicans and Lutherans I think that in some cases that should be extended to others like Jones.
Old Aug 16, '07, 3:25 pm

Religion: Catholic (typical hardcore papist)

They certainly can become Deacons as married men.

It all depends on the man and his calling as some people are not suited for the priesthood.

A Deacon is an ordained minister and can preach, he just would have to wait until he is single by death of his wife before he can become a Priest. (this is not to suggest a mafia divorce but to encourage a first calling to marriage)

http://www.chnetwork.org/

Is where to go for more info,(as others have said)
In Christ
Scylla
1 Timothy 3:15
Old Aug 16, '07, 7:51 pm

Thanks again!
Old Aug 17, '07, 3:11 am

Thumbs up Re: Can a Protestant Pastor convert and become a Priest?

As well as the spritual dimension there is a pastoral and financial consideration, which would be high in the local ordinary's mind. For example, the Church of England (Anglican Communion member) provides pensions for ex clergy that leave due to new doctrinal problems over there. This has allowed married priests' wives to live, since the Church is not set up to provide for them. That would be a factor, I have no doubt.

Pastorally speaking, some bishops are very wary of these conversions. They fear single-issue converts (eg over women priests in ECUSA) and they fear the confusion among the people over married priests.

We had a married priest who had been an Anglican vicar and he was wonderful. But he was widowed, so I am unsure as to what it would be like to be a priest's wife!?
Old Aug 17, '07, 3:14 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
As well as the spritual dimension there is a pastoral and financial consideration, which would be high in the local ordinary's mind. For example, the Church of England (Anglican Communion member) provides pensions for ex clergy that leave due to new doctrinal problems over there. This has allowed married priests' wives to live, since the Church is not set up to provide for them. That would be a factor, I have no doubt.

Pastorally speaking, some bishops are very wary of these conversions. They fear single-issue converts (eg over women priests in ECUSA) and they fear the confusion among the people over married priests.

We had a married priest who had been an Anglican vicar and he was wonderful. But he was widowed, so I am unsure as to what it would be like to be a priest's wife!?
To answer the last, excellent, question: God knows.

However, based on experience the couple I know, it is very difficult for the wife, but also on the priest, whose situation is not sympathetically understood, in part because it is rare, in part because of prejudice.

But he is a wonderful priest and she is a superb lady.

God bless.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations