Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 21, '07, 9:32 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: Protestant monks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Theist View Post
It's kidna hard to preach the gospel in a monastary. Protestants believe that it is important to preach the gospel to everyone. Also, historically it would have been difficult to setup a protestant monastary in the early days.
I can tell you don't know much about monasteries. A fact of life in every monastery is the constant flow of visitors. Some are strongly religious, others less so, and others simply curious. They will all get a substantial dose of the gospel preached to them, in words but even more in actions and in lives being lived out for God. Never underestimate the witness that the lives of these men and women offer to the world.
Old Aug 21, '07, 9:48 am

Religion: Catholic

To me, the term "Protestant Monk" seems a contradiction in terms.

First, if one believes in Sola Fide, why live an ascetic life and take a vow of celibacy--by one's own confession, doing these things do not affect one's own salvation.

Also, anyone who is familiar with the strict lifestyle of most monks must find the notion of a "non-denomiational" monk hilarious. Non-denominational christianity is marked by religous indifferentism, something Catholic religious could possibly be--it would compromise their lifestyle, making it even more unnecessary than Sola Fide makes it.

In my opinion, only the Holy Roman Catholic Church and those very near it (EO) could produce people who live such holy lives.
Old Aug 21, '07, 11:56 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pious Mat View Post
In my opinion, only the Holy Roman Catholic Church and those very near it (EO) could produce people who live such holy lives.
And I wonder why people call us Catholics arrogant......

To put it in a way I'm more comfortable with, only God can produce people who live such holy lives.
Old Aug 21, '07, 12:32 pm

Well formalized monasteries or priories may not be in the Bible however the religious lifestyle they lead is there. The Nazarite Order is an example of a structured form of asceticism.

Jeremiah lived an ascetic lifestyle, as did several other OT prophets. John the Baptist was a hermit, and Jesus was also ascetic. All the Apostles seem to have become ascetic at one level or another as they basically walked away from property and family.

From The Acts we see that the early Church as a whole quickly embraced an idea of common property and community. Which while not monastic in nature still points to the fact that the early Christianed put a value on those monastic concepts.

As to why Protestants (outside of the Anglicans) put little value into the monastic lifestyle. It would be multileveled. First as stated earlier the Protestant aversion to celebacy is a hinderance.as celebacy is an integral part of the acestic lifestyle. One cannot give their lives and time completely to spritual and ecclesiastical growth while in the married state. That isn't a knock against the married but when one marries they take on other responsibilities (which are also God given).

Many Protestants also have a low view of monastasticsm. They often view it as shutting oneself off from the world. They really don't understand all the various orders and how that they actually have active Christian lifestyles and functions. They also probably don't consider that it was the monasteries that were primary in safekeeping the Sacred Scriptures. It is a style of spirituality that they are not familiar with so I think it is hard for them to comprehend its purpose.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 07
Old Aug 21, '07, 12:38 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtconstant View Post
From The Acts we see that the early Church as a whole quickly embraced an idea of common property and community. Which while not monastic in nature still points to the fact that the early Christianed put a value on those monastic concepts.
One might say that the Jerusalem community was the only one to form this "common property" practice. I had heard that since they had heard the words of Christ, they knew that Jerusalem's days were numbered. So they sold all their assets and used the money to help maintain the new Church as well as assisting in evacuating when the Romans came. Some 30-40 thousand people were said to have escaped immediately prior to the sacking of Jerusalem in 70AD.

But none of the other communities in Acts were recorded as duplicating this "sharing of the wealth" so to speak.

To the rest of your post, I agree wholeheartedly.
Old Aug 21, '07, 3:15 pm
Banned

Religion: Follower of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteAlighieri View Post
I'm confused...are you saying that nobody is called to a monastic lifestyle, or that the Apostles weren't?
I am saying that monasticism finds its source in man, not God. God did not invent monasticism and then direct His people to it, IMO.

Monasticism developed much later after the start of the church as a way to seek seclusion from this world of sin and "distraction." On the contrary, we are all called to be salt and light and live in the world to reach as many as we can with the Gospel.

Old Aug 21, '07, 3:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VociMike View Post
I can tell you don't know much about monasteries. A fact of life in every monastery is the constant flow of visitors.
Christ did not command that we go into all the world and wait for a flow of tourists and visitors.

Old Aug 21, '07, 3:41 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atemi View Post
Christ did not command that we go into all the world and wait for a flow of tourists and visitors....
But Atemi, are you thankful for the monks?

Who do you think preserved the Bibles for all posterity? I don't think any one group (here on earth) deserves more credit.
Old Aug 21, '07, 4:04 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Christ did not command that we go into all the world and wait for a flow of tourists and visitors.
You have no idea what God calls individuals to, and it would be better if you didn't act like you did.

Let's face it, you don't like monasticism because it's too Catholic (and Orthodox, never forget them). Only later do you look for reasons.
Old Aug 21, '07, 5:13 pm

Religion: catholic

On the contrary, we are all called to be salt and light and live in the world to reach as many as we can with the Gospel.

Now the question is what does it mean to "live" in the world?
Old Aug 21, '07, 5:14 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, convert from I/F Baptist

Quote:
It's kidna hard to preach the gospel in a monastary. Protestants believe that it is important to preach the gospel to everyone. Also, historically it would have been difficult to setup a protestant monastary in the early days.
In the early days of the Church, or the early days of the 1500s?

Quote:
and Finally, Protestants are stong believers in Scripute Alone, and no where in the bible is there a monastary mentioned.
They think they believe in Scripture Alone but they really don't.

Old Aug 21, '07, 7:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VociMike View Post
You have no idea what God calls individuals to, and it would be better if you didn't act like you did.
I repeat what I said previously:

That remains a fact.

Quote:
Let's face it, you don't like monasticism because it's too Catholic (and Orthodox, never forget them). Only later do you look for reasons.
I have no problem with monasticism at all. I think it to be a novel invention.

In any event, monasticism is moot.

The Apostles were not monastics and did not teach monasticism. To think we know better than they is not the wisest position, IMV.

Old Aug 21, '07, 7:22 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy View Post
But Atemi, are you thankful for the monks?

Who do you think preserved the Bibles for all posterity? I don't think any one group (here on earth) deserves more credit.
Atemi, you still haven't given a "shout-out" to our brother monks who helped preserve the Bible for all of you thumpers out there!
Old Aug 21, '07, 7:39 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
There was not a "formal way of living out" that gift during the Apostolic era. If you were giufted to be a celibate, then you were to be a celibate. Simple as that.

One does not need to be a monastic to be celibate. Please.

Again, same mistake.

One need not be a monastic at all to be devoted to prayer, to meditation on Scripture, and to daily work.

I did not say you have to be a monk to be celibate, I said monks are called to the charism of celibacy (along with others in other vocations). I did not say monastics are the only ones devoted to contemplative prayer, I said that is a major feature of their life style. don't put words in my mouth.
Old Aug 21, '07, 7:55 pm

Religion: Protestant (Liturgical)

Quote:

and Finally, Protestants are stong believers in Scripute Alone, and no where in the bible is there a monastary mentioned.
Nor automobile, US consitution, President of the United States, etc.

You and ALL of Western Christianity owe and immense debt of gratitude to monasteries for preserving the Christian faith, the bible and learning through the dark ages. NOT ONLY THAT...brothers and sisters brought hospitals and schools to many part of the US that would have not had them otherwise. These men and women were motivated by the same Gospel you are and were empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Today many Protestants are attracted by the thought of deepening their spirituality. This is why there is even a United Methodist Religious order that is ecumencical http://www.saint-luke.org

Gracias a Dios for monks, brothers, nuns, and priests

Rev North

#44 Catechism of the Catholic Church
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions