Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 25, '07, 4:56 pm

Religion: Born again christian
Question Pre-cana Marital Question

Hi,

I was at the Vet the other day and he asked my opinion on something that led into a comment he made that really SHOCKED me

He was saying that when he was going through pre-cana(SP?)the priest asked if they were having pre-marital sex and my vet was honest and said yes. But, he said the priest wrote down(I guess some sort of application--sorry dont know the process )

NO---he lied

Why do you think the priest lied? If couples are having premarital sex and are honest is a priest not allowed to marry them?

I told the vet how incredibly wrong that was on the priest part and he should have said you need to repent and turn away from this sin and abstain until marriage.

What is the rule in the CC? What is your take on this? I guess I was so taken back that the priest lied I dont understand the purpose of lying.

Thank you
Old Aug 25, '07, 6:33 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pre-cana Marital Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLFORHIM View Post
Hi,

I was at the Vet the other day and he asked my opinion on something that led into a comment he made that really SHOCKED me

He was saying that when he was going through pre-cana(SP?)the priest asked if they were having pre-marital sex and my vet was honest and said yes. But, he said the priest wrote down(I guess some sort of application--sorry dont know the process )

NO---he lied

Why do you think the priest lied? If couples are having premarital sex and are honest is a priest not allowed to marry them?

I told the vet how incredibly wrong that was on the priest part and he should have said you need to repent and turn away from this sin and abstain until marriage.

What is the rule in the CC? What is your take on this? I guess I was so taken back that the priest lied I dont understand the purpose of lying.

Thank you
One cannot receive a Sacrament "MARRIAGE", in a state of mortal sin!
Old Aug 25, '07, 7:28 pm

Doesn't being in mortal sin prevent the graces of the sacrament from being effective and also add another mortal sin. Once the mortal sins are confessed and then absolved the graces kick in. I guess what I am trying to understand is that if a Catholic in mortal son is married in the Church would they still be validly married. In addition once one is sacramentally married, does the marriage become non-sacramental if one of the partners falls into mortal sin?
Old Aug 25, '07, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoehmke View Post
Doesn't being in mortal sin prevent the graces of the sacrament from being effective and also add another mortal sin. Once the mortal sins are confessed and then absolved the graces kick in. I guess what I am trying to understand is that if a Catholic in mortal son is married in the Church would they still be validly married. In addition once one is sacramentally married, does the marriage become non-sacramental if one of the partners falls into mortal sin?
My understanding of the Sacrament of Marriage is that if one partner were in mortal sin the marriage would be illicit but still valid. And when the partner repented, went to Confession, and was absolved of his/her sin, then the marriage would become a sacramental one.

As for falling into mortal sin after marriage, that has no effect on whether the marriage is a sacramental one or not...
Old Aug 25, '07, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJenny View Post
My understanding of the Sacrament of Marriage is that if one partner were in mortal sin the marriage would be illicit but still valid. And when the partner repented, went to Confession, and was absolved of his/her sin, then the marriage would become a sacramental one.

As for falling into mortal sin after marriage, that has no effect on whether the marriage is a sacramental one or not...
Thanks. I was just beginning to wonder.
Old Aug 25, '07, 8:39 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLFORHIM View Post
Hi,

NO---he lied

Why do you think the priest lied? u
since you have not given any reason to think the priest lied about anything, or even what the vet claims the priest said, there is nothing to comment about. If the priest did counsel the couple about cohabiting, that would be matter for confession, and not up for discussion with third parties in any case.
Old Aug 26, '07, 4:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
since you have not given any reason to think the priest lied about anything, or even what the vet claims the priest said, there is nothing to comment about. If the priest did counsel the couple about cohabiting, that would be matter for confession, and not up for discussion with third parties in any case.
Hi,
But the priest did lie. This is how the vet explained it to me. He said :The priest asked us if we were having pre-marital sex and I said yes and he in then turned around and said "so ---no" The vet said he left it at that and nothing else was said about it. I made the comment that the priest should have had you repent and abstain and the vet just shrugged his shoulders and said nothing else happened.

Is their paperwork or a questionaire that is filled out by the priest? Do you think the priest thought or knew he could not marry them if they had pre-marital sex?

I guess Im wondering what the rules are for getting married in the CC. What would constitute a priest saying no to a marriage?

Thanks so far for all answers
Old Aug 26, '07, 5:14 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Pre-cana Marital Question

To the best of my knowledge there is no paperwork essential to the sacrament.

There is paperwork called for by canon law (freedom to marry is checked, in part, by review of baptismal records; similarly the marriage is to be recorded at the parish where it took place and in the baptismal registry(ies) of record), which could effect the licity but not validity of the sacrament, and to my knowledge premarital sexual activity is pertinent to none of it.

tee
Old Aug 26, '07, 5:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_eff_em View Post
To the best of my knowledge there is no paperwork essential to the sacrament.

There is paperwork called for by canon law (freedom to marry is checked, in part, by review of baptismal records; similarly the marriage is to be recorded at the parish where it took place and in the baptismal registry(ies) of record), which could effect the licity but not validity of the sacrament, and to my knowledge premarital sexual activity is pertinent to none of it.

tee
Thank you for your response

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments