Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 30, '07, 12:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question The Blessed Virgin said women shouldn't wear pants?

Hi Catherine and Everyone

Thank you for welcoming me aboard.

I have some interesting subjects to talk about like women wearing Pants. I have been reading on the Catholic WEB site where Our Blessed Mother said women should not wear pants because it displeases our Devine Lord and it causes men to have temptations.

Just thought I would put it out there and see what people thought.

God Bless You All

Mayo
Old Aug 30, '07, 2:50 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.
Default Re: The Blessed Virgin said women shouldn't wear pants?

A source would sure be nice. Betcha this isn't from an approved apparrition! What is this, Our Lady of Mecca and Medinah?
Old Aug 30, '07, 2:55 pm

Religion: RC

In Scotland, if you didn't wear pants, you would be indecent! Pants in our country are knickers! We wear trousers. I expect The Blessed Virgin would want us to continue to wear pants in Scotland.
Old Aug 30, '07, 3:19 pm
Banned

Religion: undecided

How does she even know what pants are?

And, was she referring to underpants?

Surely, women should wear underpants right?

Seriously, I would want to see the source too, because I think you are pulling our legs.
Old Aug 30, '07, 5:54 pm

I have heard the issue before, although I do not recall which "seer" supposedly received the "message".

Part of the problem with "seers" is that the is a gullibility on the part of the faithful to want to be told what to do, even down to details such as styles of dress.

It is not that they should have no concern whatsoever about dress, but that they should be able to take guidelines which are just that - guides, not absolutes - and be able to make adult, intelligent decisions. But it is oh so much easier to have the Church, or Mary, or Jesus tell us exactly what we must do - then obviously if we do just exactly that, we must be right with God.

Makes of a strange reading of the New Testament.

The other part of the problem is that "seers" are human; they may (or may not) actually receive a legitimate vision of one of the Saints or of Christ; but it is not presumed by the Church, if they do actually receive a legitimate vision, that everything they report is truly of and from the vision. To wit: the person may be very pious and holy, but they are still human, and still come with all their own baggage, and prejudices, and it is very easy for theose prejudices to come out as part of the "vision".

The Church is very, very slow to approve of any visionaries, and if it does approve of them, it is private revelation as opposed to Public (i.e. the Sacred Scriptures and Sacred Tradition, handed down from the Apostles) Revelation. No one is requirted ta accept any private revelation; one that is approved by the Church may be recommended, but a recommendation is only that it may help the individual in their life-long journey to being united with God in heaven. "May" being the operative term.

There is no question that as a society we are hyper-sexualized. Modesty is important; but to presume that Mary is telling women to wear pants, or to not wear pants, should set off all sorts of bells and whistles - the warning type. That smacks of a "seer's" baggage.

If people spent fore time reading Scripture, and less time reading what the most recent "seer" had to say, and more time praying, and less time conversing with others about what the "seer" had to say, and going to Mass more often, and less time contemplating how to arrange their life according to what the "seer" had to say, I would suspect they would grow closer to Mary, to Christ, and to the Father.

But that's just my opinion.
Old Aug 30, '07, 6:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

It's all about intention. There are many skirts out there that will entice far more than pants. And where in the world did you come up with Our Blessed Mother stating this?? It's these kinds of unsubstantiated rumors that pull folks away from the true messages of Our Lady. Men and women need to dress appropriately and that includes any attire that one might choose..............................God Bless..............teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Aug 30, '07, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post

I have some interesting subjects to talk about like women wearing Pants. I have been reading on the Catholic WEB site where Our Blessed Mother said women should not wear pants because it displeases our Devine Lord and it causes men to have temptations.

God Bless You All

Mayo
I think you're referring to the "Marylike Crusade" standards.

Our Lady did not say women were not to wear pants. She said:

"Certain fashions are being introduced that offend Our Lord very much." Our Lady of Fatima, 1917

it leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
Old Aug 30, '07, 7:39 pm

Default Re: First Timers Meet and Greet #6

Hi Everybody
First of all I would not pull anybodys leg when it comes to Faith and Morals.
Go to Google and put in Catholic Church & women wearing Pants. It is all there. Women wearing Pants incites men to Lust.

St Padre Pio would not give apsolution to women wearing pants or indecent dress.

You will learn real fast that they are not talking about ladies underware and neather was Our Blessed Mother.

Check it out.

Mayo
Old Aug 30, '07, 7:46 pm

Default Re: First Timers Meet and Greet #6

Hi Everyone

I am not real good on the Computer and I may now not be posting replys on the right page since it is the welcome new members.

Please EMail me and tell me how to do it right.

Mayo
Old Aug 30, '07, 8:37 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post

God Bless You All

Mayo
Please give us your source for this information. It makes no sense.
Old Aug 31, '07, 6:41 am

Common sense tells me that whatever women are wearing should be modest and properly fitting. Pants if worn should be not too tight. Skirts should be of proper fit and length, etc., etc. Shoot for modesty and I think The Blessed Mother will be just fine with it.
Old Sep 1, '07, 3:26 am

Quote:
"Certain fashions are being introduced that offend Our Lord very much." Our Lady of Fatima, 1917
I doubt that "certain fashions" is not merely referring to clothing styles.
Old Sep 1, '07, 7:15 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

You have got to be refering to the Marylike Crusade and the author of that document said that.
Old Sep 1, '07, 2:05 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic

This is about the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Of course, we're not supposed to mention Medjugorje because it is an "unapproved" apparition. However, whenever I see pictures of the female visionaries, they are all wearing pants! I imagine that Lucy and Jacinta of Fatima didn't wear pants because pants weren't in style in those days, and the same goes for Bernadette of Lourdes. Could someone please document the source of the statement that the Blessed Virgin said women shouldn't wear pants? (The fact that this was probably stated on someone's Web Site somewhere is not documentation, in my book).

If people are browsing these threads trying to look into Catholicism, how fast do you think they'll run in the other direction when they see in here that the Blessed Virgin thinks women shouldn't wear pants?
Old Sep 1, '07, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener View Post
If people are browsing these threads trying to look into Catholicism, how fast do you think they'll run in the other direction when they see in here that the Blessed Virgin thinks women shouldn't wear pants?

About as fast as they'd run anyway if that's all they get out of these threads. But for those who stay, rest assured that wearing pants is an acceptable form of attire for both men and women. As long as one dresses modestly Our Lady is pleased as, like her, we follow God's commands regarding our human dignity.

Now, should I start another rumor and say that the Blessed Virgin Mary said that men shouldn't wear kilts?? Let's move away from hearsay. God Bless
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology