Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 31, '07, 2:57 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to salvereginadude Send a message via MSN to salvereginadude
Default German Order of the Mass

By the grace of God, I have a very good chance of taking a trip with my German class at school to Heilbronn, Germany. We'd be leaving on the Feast of the Presentation and would be staying for two weeks. My concern is whether I would be able to attend Mass during my stay or not. My school is a Lutheran school and Heilbronn is a largely Protestant city. I still have yet to ask my German teacher whether it would be possible for me to go to Mass while we were there, we'll be going like an exchange program (each of us would be staying in a German family's house). Maybe the family could take me to Mass or maybe I could go with some of my friends in class? I'm still not completely sure, if it turns out that I can't go to Mass during our visit I'll arrange to get a dispensation.

But anyway, does anyone know where I could get a German translation of the Order of the Mass so that if I was able to go I could follow along?

-Psalm 122:1

Immaculate Heart of Mary, I put all my trust in you!
Old Aug 31, '07, 4:19 pm

Default Re: German Order of the Mass

The Ordinary of the Mass in 8 Languages
ISBN: 0-8146-2125-2

(amazon.com it)
Old Aug 31, '07, 4:28 pm

I have traveled in Switzerland and Germany and have been able to attend Mass during my travels. One thing I found is that you have to ask for a Roman Catholic church (Römisch Katholisch?), because there are some churches in German-speaking countries that have the word Catholic in the name but are not in union with Rome.

Masstimes.org has listings for lots of countries. I could not find "Heilbronn," but a search for "Heil" in Germany yields this result, http://masstimes.org/dotnet/showciti...countrycode=DE , which includes "Heilbrunn" and "Heilsbronn."

All the German and Swiss churches I visited had little books in the pews with the order of the Mass and hymns. If you want to look at the words ahead of time, try this website: http://www.pfarre-weinhaus.at/index....=105&Itemid=55
Old Aug 31, '07, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvereginadude View Post
By the grace of God, I have a very good chance of taking a trip with my German class at school to Heilbronn, Germany. We'd be leaving on the Feast of the Presentation and would be staying for two weeks. My concern is whether I would be able to attend Mass during my stay or not. My school is a Lutheran school and Heilbronn is a largely Protestant city. I still have yet to ask my German teacher whether it would be possible for me to go to Mass while we were there, we'll be going like an exchange program (each of us would be staying in a German family's house). Maybe the family could take me to Mass or maybe I could go with some of my friends in class? I'm still not completely sure, if it turns out that I can't go to Mass during our visit I'll arrange to get a dispensation.

But anyway, does anyone know where I could get a German translation of the Order of the Mass so that if I was able to go I could follow along?
I'm pretty sure that the family wouldn't have a problem dropping you off at Mass - especially since they'll may attend some church service on sunday themselves.

I do wonder though - why do you attend a Lutheran School?

Catholig
Old Aug 31, '07, 5:35 pm

Send a message via AIM to salvereginadude Send a message via MSN to salvereginadude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholig View Post

I do wonder though - why do you attend a Lutheran School?

Catholig

Oh, I've been attending Lutheran school since elementary school. My mother and myself were not always Catholic, we were just received into the Church this past Easter. But I find that Lutheranism is one of the closest and most faithful spiritualities to Catholicism that there is. So there's no real problem except that there is some indirect anti-Catholicism (very light, at most times at least) and Sola Scriptura does get a little annoying (even though I do respect the Lutherans very much for their faithful study of Scripture, it has taught me to have a love for the Word of God). Also, most of my friends go here and I could never fathom leaving. It's been my life since 3rd grade. And for the most part, I try to see that I may not be surrounded by other Catholics but that I am in proximity with faithful Christians who love the Lord and His precepts.

-Psalm 122:1

Immaculate Heart of Mary, I put all my trust in you!
Old Sep 1, '07, 1:23 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I don't know about Heilbronn specifically (I live in Heidelberg), but Baden-Wurttemberg is a predominantly Catholic area. You should be able to find a Catholic church with no problem, probably within walking distance of where your host family lives.

Most Germans who attend mass have their own missals, but check in the back of the church as there are occasionally some extras lying about. You will need a missal to follow along completely, as it is a missal/songbook combined. The numbers for the songs are generally projected discreetly on the wall.
Old Sep 1, '07, 1:51 am
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilotheaZ View Post
I have traveled in Switzerland and Germany and have been able to attend Mass during my travels. One thing I found is that you have to ask for a Roman Catholic church (Römisch Katholisch?), because there are some churches in German-speaking countries that have the word Catholic in the name but are not in union with Rome.

Masstimes.org has listings for lots of countries. I could not find "Heilbronn," but a search for "Heil" in Germany yields this result, http://masstimes.org/dotnet/showciti...countrycode=DE , which includes "Heilbrunn" and "Heilsbronn."

All the German and Swiss churches I visited had little books in the pews with the order of the Mass and hymns. If you want to look at the words ahead of time, try this website: http://www.pfarre-weinhaus.at/index....=105&Itemid=55
In Germany many Lutherans call themselves Evangelisch Katholieke Kirche and there are also Old Catholics of Utrech.
Old Sep 1, '07, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
In Germany many Lutherans call themselves Evangelisch Katholieke Kirche and there are also Old Catholics of Utrech.
Katholieke is probably dutch or something. In Germany they'd probably say "die Evangelische Katholische Kirche"

Catholig
Old Sep 1, '07, 10:09 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Heilbronn? My brother-in-law is from near there. If his tiny village can have both a Catholic Church and an 'Evangelische' (Lutheran) one, you won't have problems finding a Catholic Church. I think you do have to specify the 'Romische' bit though.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Sep 1, '07, 10:38 am

I've never seen anything that identified a Catholic church in Germany as Roman Catholic - it's just evangelische (protestant) and katholische (Catholic). I'd be more concerned about distinguishing between the protestant churches!

I'm not saying that my experience covers everything, but I've attend mass a lot of places here.

And virtually every town or little burg has a church within walking distance.
Old Sep 1, '07, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholig View Post
Katholieke is probably dutch or something. In Germany they'd probably say "die Evangelische Katholische Kirche"

Catholig
Aye you're right. I was mixing my languages... I'm a bit rusty and Dutch is basically a dialect of German.
Old Sep 2, '07, 5:14 pm

http://www.kirche-im-bistum-aachen.d...ste/Messe.html

The above URL has a few pages of the Order of the German Novus Ordo Mass.

Catholig
Old Sep 2, '07, 5:17 pm

This website also has the order of the Mass although they seem to omit large section of prayers such as the Gloria. It does seem valuable though - just look at the second column.

Catholig

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments