Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 31, '07, 5:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default math u see vs. saxon (pros and cons)

just looking ahead and would like to hear pros and cons of both
thanks
Old Aug 31, '07, 6:11 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: math u see vs. saxon (pros and cons)

I've read a lot of reviews that Saxon is the best math program out there. I just started with Saxon Math level K, but I wish I had bought the 1st grade Math program instead. My daughter's math skills are ahead of lessons, and it isn't as fast paced as I would like.

Most everyone I know is going to get Math-U-See. The people who have used it are very happy with it. It is really good for those insecure about their teaching skills because it tells you how to teach the subject.

From what I understand, Saxon is considered to have the superior material, but Math-U-See is considered to have the superior method of teaching.
Old Sep 1, '07, 7:13 am

Funny that this should come up b/c my mom is switching from Saxon to Math-U-See. I grew up doing Saxon math, but my husband was looking at the books and he doesn't like they way that they're taught. He likes the style of learning something, doing several problems of the same kind, then moving onto something new. Saxon is very comprehensive- having problems from all the past lessons every lesson. I'll be teaching my brother Algrebra this year using the Math-U-See. I like that it comes with videos. I'll know more at the end of the year how much I liked it vs Saxon.
Old Sep 1, '07, 7:16 am
Forum Elder

I am not familiar with Math U See, but Saxon is terrible. I am a certified math teacher. I would not use Saxon if I had another choice. The only good thing about Saxon is the rote memorization component, but you can achieve that without Saxon.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Sep 1, '07, 7:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

What is bad about it, and what program do you recommend?
Old Sep 1, '07, 7:54 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

IMHO, it's best to see what why your child learns...

Memory vs Visual....

There is also Miquon.
Old Sep 1, '07, 12:55 pm

Religion: Eastern orthodox catechumen converting from Protestanism

I have Math u see and love it. It is great for tactile learners. But if fussing with little plastic pieces would frustrate your kid I would avoid it.
Old Sep 1, '07, 6:35 pm

We used Saxon and the kids have done well. Ds was in college algebra (at the community college) at 17. ---KCT
Old Sep 2, '07, 3:02 pm

I bought the Math-U-See manipulatives: number blocks and fraction visual aids, but I used them with Modern Curriculum Press (MCP) math workbooks from Kindergarten through 6th grade. Three of my kids finished Kindergarten math before Christmas, so they continued in first grade math, even before they could read the instructions. (I read them out loud.)

I liked the MCP math being all in one workbook (no separate textbook), and my kids get to write their answers right there, no having to copy the questions into a notebook. They do two pages a day, building one skill on top of another, with chapter test and cumulative review of old material at the end of each chapter. I use the alternate chapter tests at the end of the book as our year-end review.

But MCP math only goes up to 6th grade, so I'm about to start my 7th grader on Saxon Algebra 1/2. A previous poster hates Saxon math. What's wrong with it? What should I look out for?
Old Sep 2, '07, 6:08 pm

i did notice on another forum that a lot of people were switching from Saxon to something called Teaching Textbooks from middle school on up, just thought i'd had that since yours is in 7th
Old Sep 3, '07, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
i did notice on another forum that a lot of people were switching from Saxon to something called Teaching Textbooks from middle school on up, just thought i'd had that since yours is in 7th
Our youngest is in a high school co-op twice a week; the Alg 2 teacher is using Teaching Textbooks this year. DD had to do the first 7 lessons on her own (before school starts) and says it explains things pretty well. ---KCT
Old Sep 3, '07, 9:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
I am not familiar with Math U See, but Saxon is terrible. I am a certified math teacher. I would not use Saxon if I had another choice. The only good thing about Saxon is the rote memorization component, but you can achieve that without Saxon.
To each his own I guess....several of my colleagues are also certified math teachers and absolutely love Saxon. In my grade (5th) we do not currently have Saxon as the curriculum, BUT we do supplement the smarter kids with Saxon as a challenge to them to preven them from getting bored and to push them a bit.
Old Sep 3, '07, 9:56 am

I like that Saxon has the kids constantly practicing what they learned previously.

I home teach for our county schools. Most of the middle school kids I have worked with are weak in Math and they have not been made to memorize multiplication tables. Can you imagine how much trouble these kids have when they have to factor and find multiples?? ---KCT
Old Sep 4, '07, 9:20 pm

My son is eleven now and in public school, but I homeschooled him through 2nd grade. I remember struggling to choose between the very same programs! [Math-U-See vs. Saxon). I researched a lot at the time, and decided that Saxon Math was a definate, but not until 3rd grade.

This is because experienced homeschoolers seemed to agree that Saxon was a little dry for the basics, and to choose either Miquon Math or Singapore Math for K-2, then switch to Saxon for 3rd. Miquon and Singapore offer a mathmatically sound foundation, in an easy-to-digest format. So it was between those two for K-2, and they were neck and neck as far as I could see. I ended up choosing Miquon, liking that it was a German-based math program, and Germans are the great mathematicians.

Miquon was a very easy to use the program, and not expenseive (like Math-U-See). I also bought cusinaire rods to go with the program for manipulatives. I am sure my son got a solid foundation - he has an excellent understanding of math concepts, does math accurately in his head, and picks up new material easily. In school he got jostled around a bit with math - first Investigations, then Saxon, now "Passport" (McDougal Littell). But he gets Level 4's in his state exams in math (the highest level) and A's in Math and is placed in accelerated math this year (a year ahead). And I credit the good foundation of Miquon-at-home to how well he does now.

I wish I could homeschool again!
Old Sep 4, '07, 9:42 pm

We just had our first Math-U-See lesson today. So far we are loving it. I really like the fact that there is a DVD with the lessons that I can use.

We are only at the Primer level. I am proud of my girls. My 3 y/o was able to do the lesson practice at the same time as my 5 y/o. They worked through that first worksheet at a pretty decent pace.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting