Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 1, '07, 8:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Obligation to receive Eucharist?

From the Catechism:

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

Does participating the Eucharist mean going to Mass or actually receiving the Eucharist at Mass.

If the answer is actually receiving Eucharist, then is it a grave sin to withold from receiving the Eucharist because I realized that I frogot to hold the Eucharistic fast? Am I committing another mortal sin if I don't go up to communion because I am already in the state of mortal sin and haven't gone to confession yet?
Old Sep 1, '07, 9:03 pm

Default Re: Obligation to receive Eucharist?

In this context, "participating in the Eucharist" means going to Mass. You should always receive Holy Communion with the utmost care, which includes making sure you are in a state of grace and fasting for the prescribed hour before receiving (not necessarily an hour before the beginning of Mass, although many choose to do it that way).

So, if you are in mortal sin, or you have not fasted, please do go to Sunday Mass, but also refrain from receiving Holy Communion. This is the right thing to do, not a sin at all. Because almost everyone in the entire church receives Communion at every Mass, some people become confused and think it is obligatory to receive, which it is not.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Sep 2, '07, 8:43 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
From the Catechism:

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

Does participating the Eucharist mean going to Mass or actually receiving the Eucharist at Mass.

If the answer is actually receiving Eucharist, then is it a grave sin to withold from receiving the Eucharist because I realized that I frogot to hold the Eucharistic fast? Am I committing another mortal sin if I don't go up to communion because I am already in the state of mortal sin and haven't gone to confession yet?
The Church remonds us that Grave sin separates us from God and from being fully united with Christ in Holy Communion. It should prompt us to resolve our situations which orevent us from receiving Holy Communion. Every Catholic is obligated to participat in Mass every Holy Day which includes Sundays. Church precepts also require every Catholic to receive Reconciliation once a year when they are aware of Motal sins and to receive Holy Communion at least once a year during the Easter Season.
Old Sep 4, '07, 4:50 pm

This part of the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church explains things:
"289. When does the Church oblige her members to participate at Holy Mass? 1389 1417
The Church obliges the faithful to participate at Holy Mass every Sunday and on holy days of obligation. She recommends participation at Holy Mass on other days as well.
290. When must one receive Holy Communion? 1389
The Church recommends that the faithful, if they have the required dispositions, receive Holy Communion whenever they participate at Holy Mass. However, the Church obliges them to receive Holy Communion at least once a year during the Easter season.
291. What is required to receive Holy Communion?
1385-1389 1415
To receive Holy Communion one must be fully incorporated into the Catholic Church and be in the state of grace, that is, not conscious of being in mortal sin. Anyone who is conscious of having committed a grave sin must first receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before going to Communion. Also important for those receiving Holy Communion are a spirit of recollection and prayer, observance of the fast prescribed by the Church, and an appropriate disposition of the body (gestures and dress) as a sign of respect for Christ."
Old Sep 4, '07, 5:11 pm

To prepare for worthy reception of this sacrament, the faithful should observe the fast required in their Church.220 Bodily demeanor (gestures, clothing) ought to convey the respect, solemnity, and joy of this moment when Christ becomes our guest.

Is that requiring that we dress up for church? Or is it saying more that we should carry ourselves in a prayerful manner?
Old Sep 6, '07, 3:31 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
From the Catechism:

Participating in the Eucharist means attending and actively participating in the Mass itself.

You are only required to receive one time in a year and that during the Easter season. If you receive unworthily, state of mortal sin etc, you commit another mortal sin.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments