Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 6, '07, 5:44 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default which Council put together the New Testament and when was it?

thanks
Old Sep 6, '07, 5:48 pm
Forum Master

Default Re: which Council put together the New Testament and when was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
thanks
The Synod of Hippo in 393 canonized the NT Canon and the Canon of the Septuagint; the Council of Carthage in 397 and 419 repearted it.
Old Sep 6, '07, 11:03 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick457 View Post
The Synod of Hippo in 393 canonized the NT Canon and the Canon of the Septuagint; the Council of Carthage in 397 and 419 repearted it.
Pope Innocent approved the Councils (Hippo and Carthage) findings around 407AD (give or take 10 years). These local councils' findings were accepted by the whole Church, with only minimal opposition from time to time. St. Jerome is probably the most famous dissenter of the OT Canon, but his job was to translate, not to determine "inspiration of works". Because this Canon was still considered "non-binding", it could have been changed at any time by an Ecumenical Council or the Pope.

Then, as a result of the Protestant Reformation, the Council of Trent officially ratified the Canon, removing any chance of ever changing it within the Church.
Old Sep 6, '07, 11:07 pm
Forum Master

How do we know there was not further widespread dissension of the Canon? The Church would have called an Ecumenical Council (Church-wide, rather than local, like Hippo and Carthage) to determine the Canons. The amount of opposition presented by the Protestant Faiths is the only reason that Trent moved to "bind" the canon.

Although there were some dissenters from time to time, their voices were typically isolated and never gathered enough steam within the Church to present anything that could be considered strong opposition.
Old Sep 7, '07, 6:01 am

Christians prior to the councils mentioned by the other posters were not completely clueless as to which books were to be received; there were earlier lists. One such earlier list of unknown authorship is the Muratorian Fragment, which dates to between A.D. 150 and 200. Though the beginning and ending portions of its listings are now missing, still in the part that now remains, it mentions nearly all of the books that are in our New Testament. It begins with mention of Luke as the third gospel and John as the fourth gospel. (Matthew and Mark are presumed to have been mentioned in the now missing beginning portion of the Fragment.) It then mentions, but not necessarily in this order, the Acts of the Apostles, thirteen of Paul's letters (Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, and Philemon), two of John's three letters, Jude, and John's Apocalypse (Revelation).

The surviving portion of the Muratorian Fragment does not mention Hebrews, James, 1 & 2 Peter, and one of John's letters.
Old Sep 7, '07, 7:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy View Post
Then, as a result of the Protestant Reformation, the Council of Trent officially ratified the Canon, removing any chance of ever changing it within the Church.
This is not true. Trent's ratification of the Canon did not remove the possibility of additional books being ratified, such as those used by the Orthodox.
Old Sep 7, '07, 7:41 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitonomy View Post
This is not true. Trent's ratification of the Canon did not remove the possibility of additional books being ratified, such as those used by the Orthodox.
From what I understand, if a book was known and not considered inspired by Trent, then it would not have any further chance of being re-considered. The only ones that could be added are any books that are "discovered".

I'm not sure of these details, though.
Old Sep 7, '07, 8:44 am

Quote:
From what I understand, if a book was known and not considered inspired by Trent, then it would not have any further chance of being re-considered. The only ones that could be added are any books that are "discovered".
I'm not holding my breath on say Psalm 151 finding its way into Catholic Bibles, but the Decree Concerning the Canonical Scriptures from the Council of Trent appears to be limited to confirming the inspired nature of books in the present canon, not preventing other books from being added. Here is the most relevant passage:
Quote:
But if any one receive not, as sacred and canonical, the said books entire with all their parts, as they have been used to be read in the Catholic Church, and as they are contained in the old Latin vulgate edition; and knowingly and deliberately condemn the traditions aforesaid; let him be anathema.
Old Sep 7, '07, 8:59 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitonomy View Post
I'm not holding my breath on say Psalm 151 finding its way into Catholic Bibles, but the Decree Concerning the Canonical Scriptures from the Council of Trent appears to be limited to confirming the inspired nature of books in the present canon, not preventing other books from being added. Here is the most relevant passage:
OK, so let's consider this. The Church deems that inspired books are necessary teachings for our salvation, right? So, the 3rd book of Maccabees is not necessary during Trent, but then can tomorrow decide that it is necessary for our Salvation? I'd be willing to bet that something like that would never happen.

So I guess you and I "won't hold our breaths" together, eh?
Old Sep 7, '07, 11:56 am

Quote:
OK, so let's consider this. The Church deems that inspired books are necessary teachings for our salvation, right?
I'm familiar with the phrase, but you'll have to point to me where the Church has used it so I can read the context. The Gospel is necessary for our salvation, but I wouldn't personally described any particular book in that way - many faithful Christians have died without having access to even a single New Testament book. Is the Book of Habukkuk necessary for our salvation? I don't think so. It is inspired scripture, but its essential truths are found elsewhere. Same with the Orthodox canon(s), which I think is also accepted to some degree by some of the Eastern Catholic Churches.
Old Sep 8, '07, 4:46 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Pope Innocent approved the Councils (Hippo and Carthage) findings around 407AD (give or take 10 years). These local councils' findings were accepted by the whole Church, with only minimal opposition from time to time. St. Jerome is probably the most famous dissenter of the OT Canon, but his job was to translate, not to determine "inspiration of works". Because this Canon was still considered "non-binding", it could have been changed at any time by an Ecumenical Council or the Pope.

Yes, the canon was non-binding and actually the first authortative citation of the canon was in 382 AD at the council of Rome under Pope Damasus. It wasn't a binding decision, however, it is the first citation by a council which Trent dogmatized.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture