Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 9, '07, 4:46 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75
Default What makes Episcopalian, and Anglican different from Evangelical Protestants?

I know the Anglican and the Episcopalians have bishops or a hiarchy, but I like to know the difference between them and the mainstream Evangelical Protestants.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Sep 9, '07, 4:48 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008
Default Re: What makes Episcopalian, and Anglican different from Evangelical Protestants?

Sacraments
Old Sep 9, '07, 4:49 pm

Religion: Orthodox Christian (Bulgarian Diocese of USA)
Send a message via AIM to Harpazo Send a message via MSN to Harpazo Send a message via Skype™ to Harpazo
Default Re: What makes Episcopalian, and Anglican different from Evangelical Protestants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJgang View Post
Sacraments
Do they all claim to have 7 sacraments, or do some have two, like the Methodists?

In Pax Christi
Andrew

Check out my Examiner page.
"It is later than you think! Therefore, hasten to do the work of God!" - Blessed Seraphim of Platina.
Old Sep 9, '07, 4:51 pm
Prayer Warrior

They claim two.
Old Sep 9, '07, 4:54 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyfit75 View Post
I know the Anglican and the Episcopalians have bishops or a hiarchy, but I like to know the difference between them and the mainstream Evangelical Protestants.
Well, it depends on which Anglicans you are talking about. Many Anglicans, particularly in England and in parts of Africa, essentially are "mainstream evangelical Protestants." Anglicans differ from most evangelical Protestants in having a fixed, written liturgy, though of course other denominations do this as well and there are some evangelical Anglican churches that depart from the liturgy quite radically. Generally Anglicans have communion weekly--but again, so do some other Protestants, and the practice is not universal even today. By and large, Anglicans put more stock in tradition, especially in the early Church, than other Protestants--but again, there are counter-examples on both sides. Anglicans have a calendar that commemorates saints, but this isn't entirely unique either.

Beyond the episcopal hierarchy with historic continuity (not claiming apostolic succession here, which the more low-church Anglicans don't believe in anyway), all the differences between Anglicans and other Protestants are really a matter of degree. Anglicans are more likely to use a fixed liturgy, emphasize the sacraments, venerate saints, pray for the dead (this is part of the liturgy of the Episcopal Church and is common in many, perhaps most Anglican churches these days--but probably not all), believe in the value of good works for salvation, and so on, than most other Protestants.

And, of course, many Anglicans are not evangelicals. Anglo-Catholics generally believe all the things held in common by Catholics and Orthodox.

Edwin
Old Sep 9, '07, 4:56 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpazo View Post
Do they all claim to have 7 sacraments, or do some have two, like the Methodists?

In Pax Christi
Andrew
We practice all seven. The 39 Articles say that the other five aren't really sacraments, but the Articles are not considered binding by all Anglicans, and can be interpreted simply to mean that the two main sacraments have a status all their own, with the other five being sacraments in a lesser, derivative sense. That is what I was taught when I became Episcopalian. My parish in NC would have said that we believed in seven sacraments, and the current Episcopal catechism speaks in terms of two central sacraments and five that are not sacraments in the same way, rather than denying the sacramentality of the five outright.

Edwin
Old Sep 9, '07, 5:16 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
We practice all seven. The 39 Articles say that the other five aren't really sacraments, but the Articles are not considered binding by all Anglicans, and can be interpreted simply to mean that the two main sacraments have a status all their own, with the other five being sacraments in a lesser, derivative sense. That is what I was taught when I became Episcopalian. My parish in NC would have said that we believed in seven sacraments, and the current Episcopal catechism speaks in terms of two central sacraments and five that are not sacraments in the same way, rather than denying the sacramentality of the five outright.

Edwin

You will often hear the two sacraments of the Eucharist and Baptism, referred to as Dominical Sacraments, that is, established in their form by Our Lord. This represents the special status of those two.

Anglicans also possess Apostolic succession and valid orders (when the matter is valid) and thus a valid Eucharist.

Yes, I know about Apostolicae Curae. Believe me, I do. Really. In detail.

GKC

Anglicanus Catholicus
Old Sep 9, '07, 5:19 pm

Religion: Orthodox Christian (Bulgarian Diocese of USA)
Send a message via AIM to Harpazo Send a message via MSN to Harpazo Send a message via Skype™ to Harpazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
You will often hear the two sacraments of the Eucharist and Batpism, referred to as Dominical Sacraments, that is, established in their form by Our Lord. This represents the special status of those two.

Anglicans also possess Apostolic succession and valid orders (when the matter is valid) and thus a valid Eucharist.

Yes, I know about Apostolicae Curae. Believe me, I do. Really. In detail.

GKC

Anglicanus Catholicus
I don't wish to get into a big thing with you here, but does the Catholic Church say that Anglicans do NOT possess Apostolic Succession? Wouldn't this be a matter of opinion? Just curious is all.

In Pax Christi
Andrew

Check out my Examiner page.
"It is later than you think! Therefore, hasten to do the work of God!" - Blessed Seraphim of Platina.
Old Sep 9, '07, 5:32 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpazo View Post
I don't wish to get into a big thing with you here, but does the Catholic Church say that Anglicans do NOT possess Apostolic Succession? Wouldn't this be a matter of opinion? Just curious is all.

In Pax Christi
Andrew
No. It is a matter of a de fide judgment, as rendered in 1896, in a Bull over the signature of Leo XIII, that Anglican orders are null and void, hence Apostolic succession was lost. All RCs should affirm this.

Anglicans have different view of the matter.

GKC
Old Sep 9, '07, 5:33 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post

Edwin
Wasn't Harpazo asking about Evangelical Protestants, not Episcopalians.........
Old Sep 9, '07, 5:41 pm

Religion: catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to coleraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJgang View Post
Sacraments
are thier sacrements legit?
Old Sep 9, '07, 6:24 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleraine View Post
are thier sacrements legit?
Their baptisms are, and the Catholic Church would recognize the marriage of two baptized episcopalians who are free to marry as a sacramental marriage.
Old Sep 10, '07, 2:08 am
Prayer Warrior

I'm sorry, I've been answering Manny in terms of what Evangelicals believe...I'm sorry for MY confusion....
Old Sep 10, '07, 4:52 am

Religion: Catholic (former TEC & UMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyfit75 View Post
As noted, there are many strains within the Anglican tradition. There are also evangelical Episcopalians (a tradition of which I was once a member). In my personal experience, the main differences between evangelical Episcopalians and other evangelical Protestants was our Bishop (who we usually ignored except for confirmation...an overstatement here but not by much) and our use of the liturgy of the Book of Common Prayer, which we were very much devoted to.
Old Sep 10, '07, 5:40 am

Religion: Born again christian

Are you looking for differences in worship style or doctrine?

As an evangelical--the one big difference I notice is evangelical churches do more evangelizing in their community or doing missions trips etc.
Many(not all)mainline protestants kinda stay to themselves and wait for people to come in.

My church is constantly reaching out to the community. Im not talking about helping people in need because I think ALL churches do that--Im talking about leaving the safety of the church building and spreading the gospel wherever.

I also think evangelicals are more conservative in their actions. Probably more outspoken about their faith as well. BUT DUH of course they would be if they go around evangelizing.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions