Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 9, '07, 5:53 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Question American Cancer Society

How does the Catholic Church view a person(s) participating in fund raising events (Relay for Life) sponsored by the American Cancer Society?
Old Sep 9, '07, 7:20 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: American Cancer Society

Well, we must do our research and ensure that any groups for whom we raise money do not enage in things that are contrary to the moral law.

In the case of the American Cancer Society, you would need to ensure they do not fund embryonic stem cell research or fetal tissue research.

ACS does show support for embryonic stem cell research, but I do not believe it current funds any such research. You would have to contact ACS directly and confirm that this is still the case.

Personally, I do not give money to them.

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.all.org/article.php?id=10161

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Sep 9, '07, 7:25 pm

I'm certain I would not support the ACS.
From the website provided above:

Quote:
Finally, and most recently, the American Cancer Society has awarded financial grants to Planned Parenthood, the nation's leading provider of abortion.

Z
Old Sep 9, '07, 10:34 pm
Observing Member

Unhappy Re: American Cancer Society

Thank you for your opinions. Our parish family has been very active in "Relay for Life" in the past; and just recently it has been brought to our attention that there was conflict with Catholic Church teaching by the ACS with funding personnel training for Planned Parenthood staff for smoking sessation programs and also the ACS statements interpreted to encourage human embryonic stem cell research and funding by other entities.
Old Sep 10, '07, 5:06 pm

That's really disappointing! As a recent cancer patient/survivor, I was very interested in getting involved with Relay for Life next year. I guess I won't.
Old Sep 10, '07, 5:12 pm

I read this (among many other things)...
Alive & Well

After losing many of my family members to cancer, I can't say that I have anything good to say about orthodox treatment of cancer given by the ACS.

This might give you one more reason to not support them.. as well as to not trust the FDA

God Bless,
~Cole
Old Sep 10, '07, 7:33 pm

My daughter's life was saved by a stem cell transplant. They were adult stem cells from her own blood. There is no scientific evidence what-so-ever that embryonic stem cells will work for this application and an oncologist would, at present, be prohibited from using them with a human subject.

Planned Parent Hood would not receive any funds from me, but it is important to realize that even with their fatal flaw they can do some things right, smoking cessation.

I would not give them money because as an organization they do more harm than good. There are other organizations like ACS that do more good than harm and I think it is important to understand that in coming to a judgement.

I don't give to United Way anymore because they donate to causes for which I have problems. Sure you can specify where your contribution is to go or not to go, but in the end everyone gets the exact share of the take predetermined by the administrators.

Give directly to the smallest unit of society that is doing exactly what you approve of. For example, instead of ACS, donate your money to a scientist who is studying adult stem cell technology. It may be small, but I don't think he will turn it down or buy stock in a company that is doing something right.
Old Mar 3, '09, 9:47 pm
Observing Member

Thumbs down Re: American Cancer Society

You know, the American Cancer Society, and Relay for Life saved my family alot of money. Before my grandmother passed, both groups also made her life and my family's life alot easier.

I can't believe all of the Christians on this forum turning their heads to organizations that save lives. Susan G. Komen foundation is the organization that funds planned parenthood for the smoke prevention programs.

Ask yourself a question,

Suppose they did give grant money, notice i said suppose.

A beggar asks you for a few dollars for food, knowing he will probably just go buy cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, etc. you still give it to him, because why? In Gods eyes YOU are the one doing right.

Don't you know every single American supports planned parenthood? As long as you live in a country that legalizes abortion, you fund it!!! So if you are that determined then why do you pay your taxes? Why do you still live in the country that supports it?

Obviously you don't support it that strongly. Indirectly the churches even support it.

So if you feel that strongly about it, then take action. Stomping down organizations that save lives and aid people in need is not the way to go, because the federal government will just increase and increase its funding. Why dont you take it to the direct route?

You will be suprised on actually how much you indirectly support planned parenthood. These fly-by rumors and peoples belief in them is pathetic. I was with an Executive Director for the Relay for Life foundation as they sat down with a schools administration and proved them wrong about a rumor a teacher heard about the funding. The teachers rumors were shot down in a heartbeat with direct funding proof.

I will pray for all of you, I would have expected better from Christians.
Old Mar 4, '09, 12:26 am

I am sure that indirectly my tax money goes to organizations that support abortion, I can't do much about that until the next election cycle comes around. Guess what, I dang sure can decide who I choose to contribute to, and your best picks are not on my list.
Old Mar 4, '09, 4:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelaughlove View Post
A beggar asks you for a few dollars for food, knowing he will probably just go buy cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, etc. you still give it to him, because why? In Gods eyes YOU are the one doing right.
Wrong.

Knowing where the money will go, I do not give it to him...ever.

Instead I would offer to purchase food, or clothing, or shelter for him.

Z
Old Mar 4, '09, 4:47 am

Quote:
Don't you know every single American supports planned parenthood? As long as you live in a country that legalizes abortion, you fund it!!! So if you are that determined then why do you pay your taxes? Why do you still live in the country that supports it?

Obviously you don't support it that strongly. Indirectly the churches even support it.

So if you feel that strongly about it, then take action. Stomping down organizations that save lives and aid people in need is not the way to go, because the federal government will just increase and increase its funding. Why dont you take it to the direct route?
Do what you can with what you have.
I have little control over where my tax dollars go, but I DO have control over where my charitable donations go.

Quote:
You will be suprised on actually how much you indirectly support planned parenthood. These fly-by rumors and peoples belief in them is pathetic. I was with an Executive Director for the Relay for Life foundation as they sat down with a schools administration and proved them wrong about a rumor a teacher heard about the funding. The teachers rumors were shot down in a heartbeat with direct funding proof.
By all means...supply proof.
Quotes and websites would suffice.
Quote:
I will pray for all of you, I would have expected better from Christians.
I expect better of someone that claims to know.
Where is the case? Where is the evidence?
If you think everyone is going to suddenly change how they feel on your say, you are sadly mistaken. You need to provide evidence to back your claims.

Z
Old Mar 4, '09, 11:51 pm
Observing Member

Post Re: American Cancer Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz71 View Post
Wrong.

Knowing where the money will go, I do not give it to him...ever.

Instead I would offer to purchase food, or clothing, or shelter for him.
think again, sure you can do that, but even a money donation, you are contributing to the poor. You cant assume or claim what they are going to do with that money, drugs etc are probabilities, but so is food, clothing etc. Trust others, dont judge them. What they do is beyond your control, what you do is in your control, often times im in the heat of the day in a rush to a meeting or to the office, so I have a few dollars to spare. It may or may not get to the cause, but in God's eyes I wasn't selfish, and I helped the poor, whether they need it or not is not my job, doing whats right by trusting others is.

Considering I dont have the actual financial document itself that we used in the meeting I cannot show you unfortunately.

But you shouldnt have any problems finding it since you want the proof. It isnt my job to convince you what is right, it is yours. And I hope everyone in this threads misleadance can be re-directed and you find the inner truth.

I prefer to believe a finance report rather than any article that anyone can write on the internet, true or not. I'm sure most of you all are aware that many internet articles are false and misleading, at least I would hope so.

You have control over your decisions, but try to do some actual research to help make your decisions. My corporation contributes and sponsors thousands and thousands of dollars each year, and I will continue to sign those checks over. The American Cancer Society helped give my family an extra year with my grandmother before she passed, I dont know about you, but I dont have the heart to take that away from other families.

You should probably do more research because there are many companies that contribute alot of money to planned parenthood directly that you are probably not aware about and you continue to support them, and the mission of these companies is for profit, not for saving lives.

Take a look at these corporations that i am sure 100% of you do business with at least 2 of the following, this is a minor list gathered from actual company documentation and planned parenthood websites. I actually did my homework for real proof. There are way too many pages to scan so do your own homework before you completely shut out an organization.

Medicaid
Air Products & Chemicals, Inc
Allied Corp
Albertson's Inc
AAA
Aetna
Nike
American Expr
AT & T
Avon
Apple
Allstate
Bank of America
Black & Decker Corp
Borden
Cisco
Chevron
Citigroup
Coca-Cola
Delta Airlines
ExxonMobil
Eckerds
GEICO
General Electric Company
General Mills
General Motors Corporation
Golden Valley Microwave Foods
Goodrich
Goodyear
Radio Shack
Hallmark Cards, Inc
Home Depot
H & R Block, Inc
JC Penney Co.
J.P. Morgan & Co.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies - (dont they make alot of children products?)
Honeywell, Inc.
HP
Microsoft
Reebok
Starbucks
J.P. Morgan & Co., Inc.
Kellogg Company
Kraft Foods, Inc.
KFC
Kmart Corp
Lexmark International, Inc
Macy's MA Hanna Company
Maytag
McDonald's Corp
McGraw-Hill Foundation, Inc. (majority of schools use these textbooks, even Catholic schools!)
Merrill Lynch & Company Foundation
Motorola
Nabisco Foods Group
Nalco Chemical Company
National City Bank Foundation
Northwest Airlines
Newsweek - (ALOT OF CATHOLIC SCHOOLS SUSCRIBE TO TEEN NEWSWEEK!)
Olive Garden
Pennzoil Company
PepsiCo
Quaker Oats
Reader's Digest
Shell Oil
Sherwin Williams
Taco Bell
Texaco, Inc.
Texas Instruments Foundation
Time, Inc.
Time Warner
US Air, Inc
Verizon
Xerox Corp

and you still say you dont have control?

Thats all your money!!

Relay for Life
Celebrate.Rebember.Fight Back

God Bless you and your families.
Old Mar 5, '09, 4:37 am

Quote:
think again, sure you can do that, but even a money donation, you are contributing to the poor.
No. Knowing the money will be used for some immoral purpose, you are not contributing to the poor, you are confirming someone in their sin.

Quote:
You cant assume or claim what they are going to do with that money, drugs etc are probabilities, but so is food, clothing etc. Trust others, dont judge them.
Well now you are just moving the target around.
It was, in fact, your posit that they were not going to spend the money for food.
Remember this:
Quote:
knowing he will probably just go buy cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, etc...
I am not the one placing a judgement. I am simply responding to the conditions you described.

Quote:
Considering I dont have the actual financial document itself that we used in the meeting I cannot show you unfortunately.

But you shouldnt have any problems finding it since you want the proof. It isnt my job to convince you what is right, it is yours. And I hope everyone in this threads misleadance can be re-directed and you find the inner truth.
You can't find the proof to back up your claims, so you demand I research it for myself.
It is not my responsibility to find evidence to back up your claims. It is yours.
You will never convince anyone of any type of error without being able to put up evidence. So find it, post it.

Z
Old Mar 5, '09, 1:37 pm
Observing Member

Red face Re: American Cancer Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz71 View Post
You can't find the proof to back up your claims, so you demand I research it for myself.
It is not my responsibility to find evidence to back up your claims. It is yours.
You will never convince anyone of any type of error without being able to put up evidence. So find it, post it.

Im simply stating my opinion just as yourself, can you provide the information to back up your claim? That is entirely how this thread was started, because of a claim against Relay For Life. I simply went to planned parenthood websites to find those list of companies and finance reports. If you are going to make or try to defend a claim, shouldnt you do your research aswell? If a rumor gets started shouldnt it be there responsibility to provide proof to back it up?

I havent seen any of it on here. Sure, I didnt post my documents, but shouldnt the ones who claim that they do fund planned parenthood first post proof?
Old Mar 7, '09, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Im simply stating my opinion just as yourself, can you provide the information to back up your claim?
Here you go.

http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....87&postcount=3

Z

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence