Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 16, '07, 11:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default private TLM in Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown PA

Our pastor, Fr. Ananias, a Benedictine priest, offered a private low Latin Mass at our parish Friday evening in Patton, PA, and close to 70 attended.

Furthermore, Fr. Ananias announced at mass this morning that he will begin offering a private low traditional Latin Mass every Sunday at 5:00pm, beginning today, September 16, at Queen of Peace Church in Patton PA.

He will start offering a private high Mass on Sundays at 1:00pm, as soon as he has a choir trained and alter servers trained. Until then, the laity are permitted to attend his private Sunday evening 5:00pm low latin ("Tridentine") Mass, which will also fulfill their Sunday obligation, if they happen to be in the area.

Queen of Peace Parish
907 Sixth Ave.
Patton, PA 16668
Phone: (814) 674-8983

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=d&dad...tton,+PA+16668

We assume that once the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei publishes their dubia clarifying Summorum Pontificum either at the end of this month or next month, these onerous distinctions between "private" and "public" TLMs will no longer be necessary.

Cardinal Hoyos' comments from Friday should be duly noted; I sent this Letter to the Editor to the local Johnstown PA newspaper on Friday evening:

Quote:
Pope Benedict recently published a new law that gives permission to all Catholic priests to offer the old Latin mass. This was clarified on September 14, the law’s effective date, by Cardinal Hoyos, president of the Ecclesia Dei commission which enforces the law.

Cardinal Hoyos stated, "priests can decide, without permission from the Holy See or the bishop, to celebrate the Mass in the ancient rite. And this holds true for all priests…It is not therefore necessary to ask any other permission...The Code of Canon Law says who must give permission to say Mass and it is not the bishop: The bishop gives the "celebret," the power to be able to celebrate [i.e., both the old and new forms of the rite], but when a priest has this power, it is the parish priest and the chaplain who must grant the altar to celebrate. If anyone impedes him, it is up to the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, in the name of the Holy Father, to take measures until this right is respected…The Pope does not impose the obligation; the Pope does impose offering this possibility where the faithful request it. If there is a conflict, the authority of the bishop must intervene to avoid it, but without canceling the right that the Pope gave to the entire Church.”

Many thanks are due to our Pope for this new law, to Cardinal Hoyos for clarifying and enforcing it, and to Bishop Adamec for graciously acknowledging and obeying it locally.

--Dr. Brian Kopp
Johnstown, PA
Old Sep 16, '07, 12:11 pm

Default Re: private TLM in Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalindult View Post
Cardinal Hoyos stated, "priests can decide, without permission from the Holy See or the bishop, to celebrate the Mass in the ancient rite. And this holds true for all priests…It is not therefore necessary to ask any other permission...The Code of Canon Law says who must give permission to say Mass and it is not the bishop: The bishop gives the "celebret," the power to be able to celebrate [i.e., both the old and new forms of the rite], but when a priest has this power, it is the parish priest and the chaplain who must grant the altar to celebrate. If anyone impedes him, it is up to the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, in the name of the Holy Father, to take measures until this right is respected…The Pope does not impose the obligation; the Pope does impose offering this possibility where the faithful request it. If there is a conflict, the authority of the bishop must intervene to avoid it, but without canceling the right that the Pope gave to the entire Church.”
Cardinal Hoyos statement's also need to be read in light of the further clarifications this weekend by Archbishop Ranjith, Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship:
Quote:
"I am certain that above all the bishops, who at the moment of assuming their episcopal ministry have professed their complete loyalty and obedience to the Supreme Pontiff, will accept this decision with sentiments of generous collaboration and will safeguard the faithful implementation of the instructions of the Motu Proprio in the manner in which it is assigned to them, respecting the specific identities of the two manners of celebrating.

...it is the Church who celebrates the liturgy: adoration and praise of its Lord, as his people. Because of this ecclesial dimension, in the words of the Council in "Sacrosanctum Concilium", "no one else at all, be he even a priest, shall add, subtract or change anything on his own initiative in matters liturgical." The current problem is a spirit of disorder in the liturgical discipline, widely spread in different parts of the world. This situation is the result of a defective liturgical formation on different levels. Various priests do not know the true meaning of what is celebrated and propagate a "do it yourself" liturgy.

Unfortunately, in some cases even the bishops themselves have become immobile and inconsistent, passively tolerating this situation or even, in some rare cases encouraging such attitudes. And then there are rather pedantic attitudes of some theorists, who have unfortunately forgotten that the liturgy is not so much an intellectual act as an act of adoration, and therefore of prfound spirituality and faith.

Some of the major changes in the liturgy have never been wished for by the Council. The banalisation of the eternal mysteries of the liturgy, achieved and justified by some liturgists, is now creating a growing demand to abandon altogether the earthly aspects...

...We mustn't abandon the attempts to make known to all the eternal value of every form of liturgical celebration, above all of the Novus Ordo. By way of the correction of some of these liturgical exaggerations, which probably the Tridentine Mass will facilitate in the coming years, there will be a further improvement of the Novus Ordo and thus also an overcoming of the theological crisis caused by the banalising tendencies of the liturgy."
Old Sep 16, '07, 12:55 pm

This is fantastic! I now have two TLM's equidistant from me - about 30 miles each way! I'm getting company in a little while - too late to tell them to say home! - or I'd be there! Count me in on a future mass!

And God Bless Fr. Ananias!!!
Old Sep 16, '07, 6:25 pm

There is a blog post with a picture of our mass this evening at http://vivificat1.blogspot.com/2007/09/folks.html
Old Sep 16, '07, 6:43 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to vivificat

From the pages of Vivificat!

Folks, today, after attending my regular Holy Mass this morning, in which I had the privilege of acting as a reader, I attended a private celebration of the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Mass later in the afternoon. By so doing, I became one of the masses of people who attended this form of the Latin Liturgy worldwide, after the Holy Father extended the permission to celebrate this extraordinary form of the Mass to every validly ordained priest of the Roman, Latin Rite. I can't be sure, but this might have been the very first Sunday Mass of the kind celebrated in our diocese in decades. I took the picture above as Fr. Ananias Buccione, OSB, Pastor of Our Lady, Queen of Peace Parish in Patton, Pennsylvania, elevated the Precious Blood at Consecration, as a veteran altar server assisted. I used my camera phone; go to the blog and click on the picture to make it larger.

As a Catholic, I love each and every single aspect of our Holy Tradition: well-celebrated Paul VI Masses (novus ordo so-called), the Traditional Latin Mass, Byzantine, Coptic, liturgies; organ or guitar (or both! But only in the "new" Mass) it doesn't matter to me. Christ comes to me, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity just the same. I've never, in my life as a Catholic, have I been left spiritually starved.

Now, I wanted to make a point to attend this one today to demonstrate my desire to embrace this aspect of our Tradition and to welcome it once again to our local diocesan Church. I will attend it extraordinarily, as I will continue attending the ordinary form of the Roman Rite, well, ordinarily, pun unintended.

Deo gratias.

-Theo

Last edited by vivificat; Sep 16, '07 at 7:00 pm. Reason: Update signature
Old Sep 16, '07, 10:28 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

<<He will start offering a private high Mass on Sundays at 1:00pm, as soon as he has a choir trained and alter servers trained.>>

It's impossible to have a "private" High Mass.

The proper name for what's called a "low mass" in English IS "private mass" or "missa privata"--a mass "deprived" of the ceremonies of high mass, choir, and ministry of deacon and subdeacon.
Old Sep 17, '07, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
<<He will start offering a private high Mass on Sundays at 1:00pm, as soon as he has a choir trained and alter servers trained.>>

It's impossible to have a "private" High Mass.

The proper name for what's called a "low mass" in English IS "private mass" or "missa privata"--a mass "deprived" of the ceremonies of high mass, choir, and ministry of deacon and subdeacon.
As long as some bishops refuse to acknowledge the spirit and letter of Summorum Pontificum, I suspect we will see many of these "impossible" private High Masses.

Old Sep 19, '07, 6:45 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to vivificat

It seems that I accidentally erased the picture from Blogger. Here it is again:

Old Sep 19, '07, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
Actually, a "private Mass" can refer to several different kinds of Masses. For example, a nonconventual Mass, whether sung or low, is a "private Mass." A Mass celebrated at a private place or oratory is a "private Mass." A Mass which is neither sung nor high is also know as a "private Mass." A private Mass can also refer simply to a Mass that is not public or parochial (these would be Masses, which the priest wouldn't place on the list of parochial Masses). Thus, it is possible to have a High Mass that is private as it fulfills one of the many definitions of "private Mass."

God bless,

Adam
Old Sep 19, '07, 7:13 pm

Smile Re: private TLM in Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivificat View Post
It seems that I accidentally erased the picture from Blogger. Here it is again:

Beautiful picture!

God bless,

Adam
Old Sep 27, '07, 7:15 am

Quote:
Fr. Ananias ... will begin offering a private low traditional Latin Mass every Sunday at 5:00pm, beginning today, September 16, at Queen of Peace Church in Patton PA.

He will start offering a private high Mass on Sundays at 1:00pm, as soon as he has a choir trained and alter servers trained. ... the laity are permitted to attend his private Sunday latin ("Tridentine") Mass, which will also fulfill their Sunday obligation.

Queen of Peace Parish
907 Sixth Ave.
Patton, PA 16668
For anyone interested, there were over 50 in attendance at the 5:00pm low mass this past Sunday (not bad, considering how remote/rural this location is from the populated areas of the diocese).

Fr. Ananias will continue to offer a private 5:00pm low mass (TLM) every Sunday.

However, on October 14th, at 1:00pm, Fr. Ananias is tentatively scheduled to be offering a high mass (TLM).
Old Sep 27, '07, 7:36 am

Quote:
For anyone interested, there were over 50 in attendance at the 5:00pm low mass this past Sunday (not bad, considering how remote/rural this location is from the populated areas of the diocese).

Fr. Ananias will continue to offer a private 5:00pm low mass (TLM) every Sunday.

However, on October 14th, at 1:00pm, Fr. Ananias is tentatively scheduled to be offering a high mass (TLM).
My husband and I were there. We will be going again. Had a bit of a hard time finding the church at first. We had been going to the High mass in Pittsburgh, and this one is about 20 miles closer. (We're in Indiana) We're sitting near the back next time, so we can follow the cues of the people in front of us though! lol! I don't know why it's a bit harder without music! We were both a bit disoriented, but it will get easier with time!
Old Sep 27, '07, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
My husband and I were there. We will be going again.
Please say "Hi" next time you are there. (I'm the big guy -- 6'2", 325lbs, very short hair cut.)
Old Nov 5, '07, 1:57 pm

UPDATE:

Starting the First Sunday in Advent, this private low tradiitional Latin Mass will be offered at 1:00pm instead of 5:00pm.

Quote:
The laity are permitted to attend this private low Latin ("Tridentine") Mass, which will also fulfill their Sunday obligation, if they happen to be in the area.

Queen of Peace Parish
907 Sixth Ave.
Patton, PA 16668

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=d&dad...tton,+PA+16668

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism