Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Sep 16, '07, 4:18 pm
LP4H LP4H is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 11, 2006
Posts: 78
Religion: Catholic
Default Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

So, for the longest time I believed this guy was anti-Catholic, and I avoided the 700 Club like the plague - why be exposed to that sort of thing? But lately, I've heard that he's referred to us as brothers in Christ, and a comment in the TBN thread about him sticking up for us got me thinking- is Pat Robertson anti-Catholic or not?

Certainly, the theology won't match up, at least not completely, but I'm curious, in what favor does Pat Robertson speak of Catholocism?
  #2  
Old Sep 16, '07, 5:10 pm
ChadS ChadS is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 30, 2007
Posts: 2,131
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

I'm not entirely sure how he views the Catholic church but he had this to say about some of his fellow Protestants: "You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist. I can love the people who hold false opinions but I don't have to be nice to them."--Pat Robertson, The 700 Club, January 14, 1991.

Given that I'm sure he doesn't hold the Church in high esteem either.

ChadS
__________________
Tiber Swim Team: Class of 2004
  #3  
Old Sep 16, '07, 5:15 pm
Ahimsa Ahimsa is offline
 
Join Date: September 4, 2004
Posts: 5,977
Religion: Jesus Buddhist
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Is he still alive?

Anyway, one can think of Catholics as 'brothers in Christ', and still be 'anti-Catholic'.
  #4  
Old Sep 16, '07, 6:16 pm
DJgang DJgang is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 9, 2005
Posts: 3,067
Religion: Catholic Convert 2008
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist. I can love the people who hold false opinions but I don't have to be nice to them."--Pat Robertson, The 700 Club, January 14, 1991.

Aaawww....man, that's where that Baptist preacher got that from...last weekend, watching a *sermon*, this preacher said that the "Pope, Bishops and Priests are the spirit of the Anit-Christ"
  #5  
Old Sep 16, '07, 7:37 pm
Brian_C Brian_C is offline
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: December 29, 2004
Posts: 1,233
Religion: Catholic!!!
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

I agree that he probably admires the devotion of faithful Catholics but thinks we're woefully misguided. Billy Graham, on the other hand, has been much more open to Catholicism in the past. Look up any fundamentalist website and they think Graham is an ecumenical anti-Christ.
__________________
Tiber Swim Team-'06

Heart of Jesus, our life and resurrection,
have mercy on us!

  #6  
Old Sep 16, '07, 8:18 pm
LP4H LP4H is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 11, 2006
Posts: 78
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Hmm, I see. Can anyone remember an instance of him specifically bashing Catholocism? I agree, the example given up above about him being 'nice' doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in him being friendly towards the Church, though.
  #7  
Old Sep 16, '07, 8:23 pm
Hellisreal Hellisreal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 27, 2007
Posts: 4,059
Religion: Catholic but at the moment seperated from the sacraments
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
Is he still alive?

Anyway, one can think of Catholics as 'brothers in Christ', and still be 'anti-Catholic'.
I think he is still alive.

How can one be anti-catholic and think of catholics as brothers in christ?

Oh, you mean Some Catholics, that are born again?

I am confused.?

all catholics are in Christ

What is the problem?
  #8  
Old Sep 16, '07, 11:20 pm
Syele Syele is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: September 8, 2006
Posts: 2,473
Religion: Christian
Send a message via MSN to Syele Send a message via Yahoo to Syele Send a message via Skype™ to Syele
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

He is still alive.


http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/patrobertson.htm
__________________
The outcome of any serious research can only be to make two questions grow where only one grew before. - Thorstein Veblen (1857 - 1929)
  #9  
Old Sep 17, '07, 8:30 am
DJgang DJgang is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 9, 2005
Posts: 3,067
Religion: Catholic Convert 2008
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisreal View Post

How can one be anti-catholic and think of catholics as brothers in christ?

Oh, you mean Some Catholics, that are born again?

I am confused.?

all catholics are in Christ

What is the problem?
People can think Catholics are Christian and in the same breathe, be Anti-Catholic, meaning against Church teachings...does that help?
  #10  
Old Sep 17, '07, 8:38 am
Contarini Contarini is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Posts: 16,389
Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJgang View Post
People can think Catholics are Christian and in the same breathe, be Anti-Catholic, meaning against Church teachings...does that help?
But that makes the term meaningless. When you say someone is "anti-Catholic," it sounds as if you are saying more than that they disagree with some Catholic teaching or other. Given the rhetorical way "anti-Catholic" is used by Catholic apologists, and the way some Catholics try to invoke the canons of political correctness to stigmatize "anti-Catholicism," I think your definition is irresponsible. It amounts to saying "I am offended that you insult my religion by not believing everything it teaches"! Of course, you may not agree with the PC use of "anti-Catholicism," but your use of the word can easily feed into that approach, so I urge you to re-examine it.

Edwin
  #11  
Old Sep 17, '07, 8:39 am
Contarini Contarini is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Posts: 16,389
Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I'm not entirely sure how he views the Catholic church but he had this to say about some of his fellow Protestants: "You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist. I can love the people who hold false opinions but I don't have to be nice to them."--Pat Robertson, The 700 Club, January 14, 1991.
It's quite likely that he's referring to liberalism, in which case he may see [official] Catholicism in a rosier light.

I do know that CBN ran into trouble in Romania because of a program they produced that was unflattering to the Orthodox Church (they found a young woman who said on camera that she liked her religion because she could do anything she liked and the priest would get her into heaven when she died). The Orthodox protested and the state-run TV canceled the program.

Edwin
  #12  
Old Sep 17, '07, 8:45 am
DJgang DJgang is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 9, 2005
Posts: 3,067
Religion: Catholic Convert 2008
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
But that makes the term meaningless. When you say someone is "anti-Catholic," it sounds as if you are saying more than that they disagree with some Catholic teaching or other. Given the rhetorical way "anti-Catholic" is used by Catholic apologists, and the way some Catholics try to invoke the canons of political correctness to stigmatize "anti-Catholicism," I think your definition is irresponsible. It amounts to saying "I am offended that you insult my religion by not believing everything it teaches"! Of course, you may not agree with the PC use of "anti-Catholicism," but your use of the word can easily feed into that approach, so I urge you to re-examine it.

Edwin
Hum? I admit, I'm comfused. The people that I know who are Anti-Catholic are against they way Catholics worship, the way the believe in the Pope, etc. yet, they do believe them to be Christians as in believe in Jesus as savior...

now, that's what I meant!

Edwin...I'm a mom of many, business owner, etc...I sometimes think that I have ADD, ha...I really don't have time to re-examine because that's what I meant.
  #13  
Old Sep 17, '07, 8:46 am
ChadS ChadS is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 30, 2007
Posts: 2,131
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
It's quite likely that he's referring to liberalism, in which case he may see [official] Catholicism in a rosier light.

I do know that CBN ran into trouble in Romania because of a program they produced that was unflattering to the Orthodox Church (they found a young woman who said on camera that she liked her religion because she could do anything she liked and the priest would get her into heaven when she died). The Orthodox protested and the state-run TV canceled the program.

Edwin
He may indeed be referring to liberalism. Unfortunately I don't have his entire quote in context, but on the surface it's not flattering. So it doesn't really shed any light on his views of Catholics.

I did read somewhere else that Robertson is on some sort of Evangelical-Roman Catholic ecumenical council and actually had a Catholic bishop give a mass at Regent University. At that event though the bishop received a lot of flak from the Regent crowd when he said that homosexuality seemed to have a biological determinant.

ChadS
__________________
Tiber Swim Team: Class of 2004
  #14  
Old Sep 17, '07, 8:57 am
Contarini Contarini is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Posts: 16,389
Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJgang View Post
Hum? I admit, I'm comfused. The people that I know who are Anti-Catholic are against they way Catholics worship, the way the believe in the Pope, etc. yet, they do believe them to be Christians as in believe in Jesus as savior...
One can define "anti-Catholic" many ways. I'm simply saying that just disagreeing shouldn't be enough, or all non-Catholics (at least all who act in good faith) will be anti-Catholic, and that cheapens the term. One way to define it is to say that an anti-Catholic is someone who thinks Catholicism is not Christian (I assure you that these people are out there and you are lucky not to have run into them--at one time this was the dominant view in Protestantism, but fortunately it is now held only by a very loud minority). Another would be to say that an anti-Catholic is someone who devotes a lot of energy to attacking the perceived evils of Catholicism. Another is to say that an anti-Catholic is someone who misrepresents Catholicism in some way--which is a good definition if misrepresentation is defined as "being incapable of describing Catholic doctrine in a form recognizable by Catholics as accurate".

Edwin
  #15  
Old Sep 17, '07, 9:40 am
ChadS ChadS is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 30, 2007
Posts: 2,131
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pat Robertson - Anti-Catholic or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
One can define "anti-Catholic" many ways. I'm simply saying that just disagreeing shouldn't be enough, or all non-Catholics (at least all who act in good faith) will be anti-Catholic, and that cheapens the term. One way to define it is to say that an anti-Catholic is someone who thinks Catholicism is not Christian (I assure you that these people are out there and you are lucky not to have run into them--at one time this was the dominant view in Protestantism, but fortunately it is now held only by a very loud minority). Another would be to say that an anti-Catholic is someone who devotes a lot of energy to attacking the perceived evils of Catholicism. Another is to say that an anti-Catholic is someone who misrepresents Catholicism in some way--which is a good definition if misrepresentation is defined as "being incapable of describing Catholic doctrine in a form recognizable by Catholics as accurate".

Edwin
I'd just like to add that if you define anti-Catholic as someone that merely has a disagreement with Church teaching on something, and thereby broadening the definition it makes the term meaningless and in a way provides a cover for the more vitriolic, hateful and real "anti-Catholics."

ChadS
__________________
Tiber Swim Team: Class of 2004
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8304Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5071CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4359Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3853SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3617Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3212Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3204Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3071For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:04 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.